collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Re: Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stan Collymore  (Read 7955 times)

Online Tokyo Sexwhale

Re: Stan Collymore
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 05:26:23 PM »
Possibly one of the most talented strikers i've seen down VP, but he didn't do it nowhere near enough which was a waste. He could have been anything he wanted to be.

I think he's great on TalkSport though.

Yep - when he was at Forest especially, he reminded me of a budget Ronaldo (original fat Brazilan version); he used to run through defences, and seemed physically unstoppable when he was up for it.

By the time he got to us, whatever spark he had was gone.  I remember his goal against Atletico Madrid, and made the ground rock like I've rarely experienced before or since.  Other than that goal/moment, I can barely remember anything about his on-pitch Villa career. 

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »
He played for us the season we had that light blue and white away kit.

One match we played and they showed the team coming off at half time. All the kits were muddy apart from one clean as a whistle- Stanley Victor's of course.

Just never happened here for us, maybe an early goal or two and it could've been a different story. Am I right in that he didn't score for us until December? We also bizarrely started playing Yorke in midfield to accomodate him and Savo which was a bad error.

Still I like him on the radio.

He scored away at Spurs in our 2nd away match. It was midweek, lost 4-2. 

I don't think he scored at Villa Park until December.  Against Coventry If I recall.

I don't know how long he'd been with us when his depression kicked in, which you wouldn't wish on anybody.

I read Yorke's book not too long ago, and he recites that Stan came to the club with a lot of attitude and never gelled with the squad. 

Stan was fantastic in the UEFA Cup games in 1997-98.  His performances against Bordeaux, Steaua Bucherest and Atletico Madrid were superb.  The goal he scored against Atletico is probably my all time favourite at Villa Park. I swear the ground shook that night.

Carbone's equalizer against Leeds in 2000 a very close 2nd.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 10:10:37 PM »
Holte L2 I was at the away game in Bordeaux and he was a parody of himself. I rarely saw him play well, though did see his first Villa Park goal v Coventry.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 12:42:44 AM »

One match we played and they showed the team coming off at half time. All the kits were muddy apart from one clean as a whistle- Stanley Victor's of course.

Just never happened here for us, maybe an early goal or two and it could've been a different story. Am I right in that he didn't score for us until December? We also bizarrely started playing Yorke in midfield to accomodate him and Savo which was a bad error.

I don't think he scored at Villa Park until December.  Against Coventry If I recall.

I don't know how long he'd been with us when his depression kicked in, which you wouldn't wish on anybody.

I read Yorke's book not too long ago, and he recites that Stan came to the club with a lot of attitude and never gelled with the squad. 

Stan was fantastic in the UEFA Cup games in 1997-98.  His performances against Bordeaux, Steaua Bucherest and Atletico Madrid were superb.  The goal he scored against Atletico is probably my all time favourite at Villa Park. I swear the ground shook that night.

I seem to remember him scoring (might have been twice) and playing really well in a home win against Liverpool.   

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 12:35:18 PM »
Holte L2 I was at the away game in Bordeaux and he was a parody of himself. I rarely saw him play well, though did see his first Villa Park goal v Coventry.

He was Pat.  I was referring to the home game. 

Offline danno

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 12:38:58 PM »
I seem to remember him scoring (might have been twice) and playing really well in a home win against Liverpool.

He did, pretty sure it was Gregory's first game in charge.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 12:44:09 PM »
I always remember it as Savo who played really well against Bordeaux at home. Then again realising it was over 17 years has depressed me and called my memory into doubt.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 01:00:40 PM »
I was delighted when he joined however ended up a massive let down and badly impacted on Brian's term as our Manager. Other than the goal against Atletico  he disappointed me. He could have been world class if only his application matched his talent as I believe talent wise he was as good as the best in the world in that era. A complete waste.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 01:32:27 PM »
I always remember it as Savo who played really well against Bordeaux at home. Then again realising it was over 17 years has depressed me and called my memory into doubt.

Savo scored the goal, but look who sets it up. I thought he was immense that night.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 01:56:33 PM »

He was Pat.  I was referring to the home game. 

I figured you were but I was living in France so only went to the away game!

One of my sister's mates went to school with Stan in Cannock and said he was lovely. I think we just bought him a couple of years after his best (notwithstanding his health issues, of course).

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 02:52:17 PM »

He did, pretty sure it was Gregory's first game in charge.

He was un-stoppable that day. Think that was the game he got involved in a race row with Steve Harkeness.

He was class in the FA Cup that season against West Brom as well. Scored a beauty at the North Stand.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 08:56:44 AM »

He joined us in summer '97 and the depression became public knowledge when he missed the FA Cup third round tie against Fulham in Jan '99. You would presume, in fact I think he has said himself, that the depression was a problem from the day he signed and stretching further back from that.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 12:41:48 PM »

He joined us in summer '97 and the depression became public knowledge when he missed the FA Cup third round tie against Fulham in Jan '99. You would presume, in fact I think he has said himself, that the depression was a problem from the day he signed and stretching further back from that.

Yes I suspect a lot further back.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »
I think I was lucky in the respect that I saw Collymore play well a few times down at Villa Park. A Boxing Day game against Spurs in 1997 when he scored 2 including a great free kick.

Also, when we first signed Dion Dublin in November 1998, him and Dublin formed a decent partnership together. Especially with Merson playing behind them. 3-2 against Spurs, 4-1 at Southampton and although we lost 4-2 to Liverpool at home and Stanley lost his rag against Harkness, his performances at this time were particularly good. I remember the Arsenal home game where we came back to win 3-2, Collymore played very well that night.

Overall, a massive waste of a talent.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 04:57:02 PM »
After his wasted time with us, not helped by one of those I still blame for Sir Brian's downfall; I thoroughly disliked Stan.
Once it became common knowledge he had depression, I felt sorry for him in knowing he faced demons everyday, the demons being himself and inability to meet his own expectations.
I am now very pleased that he appears mostly content and is a vociferous Villa fan who extols our virtues at every possible occasion, (not that there's many to currently extol)!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal