collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Manchester United Post-Match Thread  (Read 48044 times)

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United Post-Match Thread
« Reply #360 on: December 23, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »
I would like to point out that it's not just football. Football is almost certainly the worst example of it but spend a while on youtube and you'll see plenty of videos of rival fans fighting at baseball, American football etc. It's a bit of a bugbear of mine that it's 'only' our football where there are problems when rival fans are near each other.
As far as the UK is concerned I wouldn't be surprised if football generates more trouble than all other sports put together.  And that's in spite of the fact that the majority of other sports don't have segregated crowds.  To all intents and purposes in this country it is 'only' football.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #361 on: December 23, 2014, 06:07:07 PM »
Surely there's only 2 other sports of any note crowd wise, rugby and cricket? Don't the cricket matches struggle to hit an average attendance of 5K so I doubt many away fans anyway, and it doesn't have the same emotive moments as a goal for example. As for rugby, there's been plenty of violence over the years despite the much smaller crowds, mainly up north. And especially involving the Hull teams.

As I said football is the worst example, mainly because it has far bigger crowds, but it isn't the only sport where rival fans fight.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #362 on: December 23, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »
Surely there's only 2 other sports of any note crowd wise, rugby and cricket? Don't the cricket matches struggle to hit an average attendance of 5K so I doubt many away fans anyway, and it doesn't have the same emotive moments as a goal for example. As for rugby, there's been plenty of violence over the years despite the much smaller crowds, mainly up north. And especially involving the Hull teams.

As I said football is the worst example, mainly because it has far bigger crowds, but it isn't the only sport where rival fans fight.
I take your point but I honestly believe that football generates the incidents it does not simply because the crowds are larger but because those crowds generally seem to prefer the games to be played in an atmosphere of animosity and belligerence.  I've not experienced that sort of thing at any other sporting event, even in crowds of 80,000+.

I'm not sure I agree about the goal thing though.  For me nothing, not even a Villa goal, generates as much excitement as England taking wickets in test matches.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #363 on: December 23, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »

In rugby all the fighting is conducted on the pitch.  While cricket is far too civilised for any of this nonsense.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #364 on: December 23, 2014, 06:55:23 PM »
Football isn't the only sport where violence kicks off, but I can't think of another where so many otherwise sane and rational spectators are so affected by the sight of one of the other side's supporters.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #365 on: December 23, 2014, 07:07:35 PM »

In rugby all the fighting is conducted on the pitch.  While cricket is far too civilised for any of this nonsense.

While not on the scale of football, over the years there has been pretty serious violence involving rugby fans. Both Hull clubs had problems back in the day as well as Salford, Warrington, Featherstone and so on.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #366 on: December 23, 2014, 07:23:39 PM »
It's not the presence of other supporters.
It's the attitude and actions of those supporters - ManU fans have regularly ridiculed and shown disrespect towards the supporters of other teams and their fans - that's what puts fans' backs up, not just being there.

On the other thread I posted reference to the Arse game at VP where one Arse fan could have caused a riot when they scored their first goal- he obviously felt "protected" because he was in a box - he was standing, cheering and giving abusive gestures to the Villa fans a few feet away from him. His objective was to ridicule and provoke Villa fans. Someone clearly had a word and he disappeared for 10 minutes, only to return, still wearing his colours and punching the air etc. His conduct would have got him chucked out in any other part of the ground and so it should.
By the end of the game he was shouting abuse and making abusive gestures to Villa fans.
The steward I spoke to said the steward in the box would sort it out.
He certainly didn't during the game.

I fully expect him to return next season...if Arse manage to avoid relegation.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #367 on: December 23, 2014, 10:56:30 PM »
It's not the presence of other supporters.
It's the attitude and actions of those supporters - ManU fans have regularly ridiculed and shown disrespect towards the supporters of other teams and their fans - that's what puts fans' backs up, not just being there.

Judging by what he said about the woman who started it, their presence clearly did upset her and I've seen and read about it many times before.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #368 on: December 24, 2014, 12:31:55 AM »
I have to say that given his, at best, stretching of the truth about who his kids support that I wouldn't trust a word he says.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #369 on: December 24, 2014, 11:09:58 AM »
I have to say that given his, at best, stretching of the truth about who his kids support that I wouldn't trust a word he says.

Although I think we should all be able to hold hands, I did kind of think the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal