collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:43:26 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 05:36:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:33:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 05:31:47 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by nick harper
[Today at 05:31:35 PM]

Re: The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Rotterdam
[Today at 05:30:03 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Mellin
[Today at 05:29:21 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Rotterdam
[Today at 05:28:40 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Holte End to be renamed?  (Read 28678 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Holte End to be renamed?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 12:42:49 AM »
Not for me. The £ will only be used to buy a couple of crap middling players who help us finish 12/13th, so what's the point?

Should we also not bother with shirt sponsorship, pitchside advertising or any other commercial deal?

What difference will £10m quid or so make? Until we get rid of the Lambert Lerner partnership we wont see any success anyway because neither have the nous for it, so I'd rather not sell what remains of our soul to give him a bit extra in his budget to continue to fuck up.

With a new manager and a chairman, possibly, with these two, no thanks.

So you'd rather we had no money coming in, just because.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 12:43:57 AM »
I'd be amazed if a deal involving all four stands raised £10m a season at a club that is no longer high profile (sadly).

Such an amount is about a sixth the figure guaranteed by the current domestic TV deal per season. Sounds like we'd be selling alot for not much in return.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 12:45:15 AM »
Not for me. The £ will only be used to buy a couple of crap middling players who help us finish 12/13th, so what's the point?

Should we also not bother with shirt sponsorship, pitchside advertising or any other commercial deal?

What difference will £10m quid or so make? Until we get rid of the Lambert Lerner partnership we wont see any success anyway because neither have the nous for it, so I'd rather not sell what remains of our soul to give him a bit extra in his budget to continue to fuck up.

Where did I say no money?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 12:48:15 AM »

Where did I say no money?

Where do you draw the line then? You're happy with our current deals but you don't want them bettered because it would mean the manager had more to spend.   

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 12:50:18 AM »
Who said this deal would mean more money for the manager to spend?

Offline NottsVillan

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 12:51:07 AM »

Why else would we rename the stands?

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 12:53:40 AM »

Why else would we rename the stands?
Well it seems to be the automatic assumption that such a deal will generate funds for the manager. But who says this is true? Who says the current manager will get extra funds from such a con trick?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 12:58:31 AM »
I hate the thought of The Holte being renamed but it's hardly a con trick.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 01:00:15 AM »
They can call it whatever they like for a few quid.

The important thing is, those that used to stand on it and those now that sit (mostly) in it, those away fans that used to face the old terrace in awe and now face the new stand in slightly less awe will still know it as the Holte End. Nothing else matters.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 01:02:48 AM »
It'll be a huge con trick for whoever is dumb enough to buy naming rights only to hear it refered to as "the Holte End."

Offline NottsVillan

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 01:04:08 AM »
I agree it's not a con trick just very distasteful.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »
I don't understand at all the con trick point. How is it a con when we are all being made aware of it? And even clubs with significantly higher starting point in revenue have done it. In an ideal world we wouldn't be doing this and we'd have sufficient funds available through our existing ventures to compete adequately.

The ideal world is a story from the past told to kids before bed. It's over. This is the new world, and we are either a part of it or we are a dinosaur and others will just zip by and leave us for dead. What do you want it to be?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 01:09:48 AM »
It'll be a huge con trick for whoever is dumb enough to buy naming rights only to hear it refered to as "the Holte End."

It's still not a con trick as they'll have their name on the stand, on tickets for the stand, in the programme, the club will call it the new name etc. A con by very definition would be taking their money and giving nothing in return.
Just because we'll still call it the Holte End doesn't make it a con, and as years pass so will fans calling it the Holte, as witnessed by more more calling it the Doug Ellis stand, only us old bastards still call it Witton Lane, a whole generation don't remember it being called that.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 01:10:39 AM »

do you really think it will matter to the sponsor if Villa fans call it by the new name? Or will it matter more to them if it gets called by its new commercial name in every media release and on TV, radio and online across the world whenever we play a game or the stand is mentioned?

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 01:10:50 AM »
For the hard of thinking:

Person A hands over £X million in an agreement that states that the Holte End will in future be known as the Person A Stand.

People who regularly refer to the Holte End as the Holte End continue to refer to the Holte End as the Holte End.

Person A is unhappy about this, but Aston Villa point out that they are not actually able to control what others call the Holte End, sorry I mean the Person A stand.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal