collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:26:10 PM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Bad English
[Today at 09:26:04 PM]

NSWE Investment by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:25:14 PM]

FFP by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 09:25:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Mister E
[Today at 09:24:07 PM]

Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:17:46 PM]

Kosta Nedeljkovic - signed by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:16:27 PM]

Lille away ticket ( home area) by AV82EC
[Today at 08:57:46 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:26:10 PM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Bad English
[Today at 09:26:04 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Monty
[Today at 09:25:21 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:25:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:25:09 PM]

Re: FFP by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 09:25:00 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by curiousorange
[Today at 09:24:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV82EC
[Today at 09:24:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gut wrenching defeats.  (Read 29238 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Gut wrenching defeats.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 07:14:17 PM »
Well today the feeling of sick in the pit of my stomach has returned after a defeat. It was that sort of game.

The previous defeats we've had I've just shrugged off as for example Everton are just a better team than we are so you just accept those defeats in a 38 game season, I don't see the point in getting pissed off at those sort of games anymore. QPR we were just inept for the most part.

This one though was different. The way we lost, the team we lost to (who were total shite), the decisions, the overall malaise we continue to be in season in season out.

What other defeats have made you close to being physically sick afterwards?

2010 cup final was an obvious one. Another one that sticks in my mind was ironically against Spurs, another 2-1 home defeat in March 2009, I knew straight after that game we wouldn't be finishing top 4 that season. Different times though and what I'd give for that now.

Today's game was very similar to the Chelsea game at home towards the end of Lambert's first season.  We played well that day and Benteke looked a real threat.  As a result, Chelsea succeeded (Terry in particular) in getting Benteke sent off and then went on to score two late goals to win the game. 

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 07:15:59 PM »
Today wasn't gut-wrenching.  Today was as predictable as tomorrow being Monday.  I'm sorry to piss on the thread, because I've got plenty of occasions when the Villa have inflicted that on me, but Villa 2014? Sorry, giving away two goals in the last ten minutes against a poor Spurs side is about par for the course.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 07:21:28 PM »
Today wasn't gut-wrenching.  Today was as predictable as tomorrow being Monday.  I'm sorry to piss on the thread, because I've got plenty of occasions when the Villa have inflicted that on me, but Villa 2014? Sorry, giving away two goals in the last ten minutes against a poor Spurs side is about par for the course.

It's the hope that kills you. Today to me is ten times worse than Everton away in my mind where we were never in it from start to finish so after watching us for over 15 years now I've learnt to just shrug off those defeats and not get worked out about it.

This though was a combination of it all, the hope of winning and maybe just hanging on to get some points, the ridiculous run of ref decisions we got at 1-0 and then finding a way to lose with six minutes left.

I've seen it all before but still dosen't stop hurting in the hours afterwards.

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 07:23:38 PM »

This game is all about opinions and I have to disagree with the above. We were the better team and in control, if the referee had sent off Vertongen for that reckless challenge then all the spiteful challenges wouldn't have happened which culminated in the Benteke incident. The referee lost control of the game and with it we lost a player. There was nothing predictable about this result given the performance we put in.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »
Although not a defeat, the Stoke 2-2 still sticks in the memory.

The 4-4 against Leicester under Sir Brian, and the 4-4 against Spuds under that cockweasel O'Neill as well.

MON sent Marlon Harewood on to protect the lead, and his idea of doing so was that wonderful tackle on the Spurs attacker who had his back to the goal. Smashing stuff.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 07:34:39 PM »
Bolton 2-1 at home a couple of years ago. Up til that point I never thought we'd go down but after that I was convinced we would. The way we chucked that game as well left a horrendous feeling.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 07:34:56 PM »

The 4-4 against Leicester under Sir Brian, and the 4-4 against Spuds under that cockweasel O'Neill as well.

MON sent Marlon Harewood on to protect the lead, and his idea of doing so was that wonderful tackle on the Spurs attacker who had his back to the goal. Smashing stuff.

Harewood did a wonderful impression of this that nite:

Minus the brain.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 07:35:08 PM »

Equiliser scored by Younes Kaboul back in the day when he was a promising young defender, rather than a shit, older defender.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 07:37:13 PM »
There must be fucking hundreds of them.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 08:01:52 PM »
Dowd not sending off Vidic always pisses me right off.

Online LeeB

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »
That bastard streak of piss scuffing one late for the rags in the League Cup when Houllier was manager.
If he'd made clean contact it would have ended up at Cambabest over the road, the fuckers hadn't laid a glove on us all night and we should have smashed them, instead they spunk their way through to win it.

Online Rudy65

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 08:16:07 PM »
That bastard streak of piss scuffing one late for the rags in the League Cup when Houllier was manager.
If he'd made clean contact it would have ended up at Cambabest over the road, the fuckers hadn't laid a glove on us all night and we should have smashed them, instead they spunk their way through to win it.

My memory of that game is that the Blose deserved to win.

They played well in the semi to beat West Ham as well. Credit where its deserved even for the scum

F in lucky against Arsenal though!

Online LeeB

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 08:16:46 PM »

My memory of that game is that the Blose deserved to win.

They played well in the semi to beat West Ham as well. Credit where its deserved even for the scum

F in lucky against Arsenal though!

Lay off the crack, brother.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2014, 08:19:13 PM »
I don't think I have ever been so angry after a game as the Stoke 2-2. They were the poorest sides we have ever played a league game against at Villa Park and they were dead and burried.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2014, 08:28:09 PM »
Any time we lose.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal