collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Best 11  (Read 9780 times)

Offline bob

Re: Best 11
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2014, 09:10:23 AM »
N'Zogbia shouldn't be anywhere near the first 11.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2014, 09:19:40 AM »
These line ups speak a little of the sort of functional sides Everton had under Moyes. A bit of craft, a lot of exprience and ability to work very, very hard.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »
These line ups speak a little of the sort of functional sides Everton had under Moyes. A bit of craft, a lot of exprience and ability to work very, very hard.

After the last few seasons functional sounds good to me!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »
I don't think he will. He will be used as an impact sub.

If Lambert was planning to start Jack, he wouldn't have brought in Cleverley.

I just hope that Jack isn't sent out on loan.

I don't know if we have enough options to do that really, but I think that would be a good step for him if he isn't going to feature that much.  A loan move to a good Championship club (or maybe even abroad), with the instruction that he is to play in the "number 10" role would be good for his development.   

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2014, 10:39:53 AM »
For me the key thing here is that we have options on the bench that we can rely upon.

the bench was always a good indicator of the strength of the first XI.....

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2014, 12:14:03 PM »

Did N'Zogbia do anything against Hull?  I thought it was him who hit the post from the free kick but it turned out it was Westwood.

Offline exigo

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2014, 12:43:11 PM »

Proud history. Functional future.

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2014, 01:13:02 PM »

Did N'Zogbia do anything against Hull?  I thought it was him who hit the post from the free kick but it turned out it was Westwood.

should've gone to specsavers!!! (apologies if you have a serious eye problem obv)

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »

Based on this season so far I would say he flatters to deceive for half an hour and then goes missing, although in fairness that may partly be a fitness issue at present.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »

It does to me too! I wasn't being critical, more an observation.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2014, 01:20:09 PM »
Continuing to play the way we do... 

Guzan

Hutton Vlaar Senderos Cissokho

Sanchez

Delph    Richardson

N'Zogbia                  Agbonlahor

Benteke

But i wouldn't mind seeing...

Guzan

Vlaar   Senderos  Okore
Bacuna                                Richardson
                   Sanchez
           Delph           Cole

Benteke       Agbonlahor

I think those 2 as wing backs would be excellent, although its hard to make a case for changing at the moment with the 7 points tally...!

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2014, 01:31:55 PM »
Why should we have more of the ball at home than away?

Two teams playing each other on the same size pitch with the same size ball. The only difference might be kit colour.

I can't get my head around why teams think they have to play differently depending on the venue.

Was the game always like this or is this concept something that only came in with Sky?

See MON's last 18 months as a guide. He had one plan, using the width and pace on the counter, it worked away when teams pushed on to us (as the home team) as we got in behind, and failed at home when teams sat back (as the away team) and we ran down blind alleys. Traditionally teams are expected to get more points at home than away and their tactical mentality is based around this. Always been the same as i remember.

Mind you, i do agree with you that we should stick to one formation with this team. Hopefully we can come up with a few more ideas than MON used to, enabling us to change a particular situation at any time.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2014, 01:34:26 PM »
Having experience just allows us a little more time to integrate the younger players into the side. Unlike in recent years we've tossed them in out if sheer necessity. Now we can allow the likes of Grealish, Burke, Donacien etc to either work their way in or go in loan to get experience and add maturity to their games.

For me the squad as it is may not romp to victory too often but neither will it get battered and go into those prolonged slumps. There's enough older heads in their now with PL or international savvy to keep things on an even keel.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2014, 01:37:52 PM »
Mind you, i do agree with you that we should stick to one formation with this team. Hopefully we can come up with a few more ideas than MON used to, enabling us to change a particular situation at any time.
I'd hope we don't.

If the situation calls for us to play 4-4-2 then do that. If it calls for 4-5-1 then do that. If it calls for 3-5-2 then do that.

Like you allude to, MON's biggest failing was being tactically inflexible and it was one of the things that Lambert looked really good at with Norwich. It would be nice if this season we got to see a bit of that here.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2014, 02:00:22 PM »

Like you allude to, MON's biggest failing was being tactically inflexible

Oh how we miss the days of ...........'75 minutes on the clock, so here comes Ivanhoe'

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal