collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Boxing Day 1989  (Read 9425 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Boxing Day 1989
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 10:50:45 AM »
I remember the chorus of 'Fergie On The Dole' from that game as well.

No you don't. It never happened.
I'd forgotten their historical revisionism suggests we'd all had a group hallucination that day.

It is a reverse of The Sex Pistols/Southampton '86 thing. Absolutely no United fan was present at Villa Park that day and even if they were they were not chanting about Ferguson. For the record I was at the 8,000 Southampton game but I wasn't at The Sex Pistols thing. Was it the 100 club or something? I was probably about six at the time.

Free Trade Hall, Manchester mate.

The 100 Club was the eight million attendance. The Free Trade Hall was the one where there were only thirty people there but they became the most famous thirty people in the world. The NME once called it the most important gig of all time.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2014, 08:55:40 AM »

I'd forgotten their historical revisionism suggests we'd all had a group hallucination that day.

It is a reverse of The Sex Pistols/Southampton '86 thing. Absolutely no United fan was present at Villa Park that day and even if they were they were not chanting about Ferguson. For the record I was at the 8,000 Southampton game but I wasn't at The Sex Pistols thing. Was it the 100 club or something? I was probably about six at the time.

The 100 Club was the eight million attendance. The Free Trade Hall was the one where there were only thirty people there but they became the most famous thirty people in the world. The NME once called it the most important gig of all time.

Because after seeing The Sex Pistols you do wonder what strange sequence of events led Mick Hucknall to become part of warm diarrhoea wonders Simply Red.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »

Because after seeing The Sex Pistols you do wonder what strange sequence of events led Mick Hucknall to become part of warm diarrhoea wonders Simply Red.

Like his career at Fulchester Rovers, he started well then faded badly.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2014, 09:06:13 PM »
Okay, if they did, where's your evidence? Forty thousand Manchester United supporters Never Missed A Match from 1968-1992. I defy you to find one who heard it.

Nonsense. Football didn't exist before 1992. Don't you listen to Sky man?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »
I have video footage of that memorable match. If I recall we beat the Arse 2-0 two days later - I have an hour's footage of that game. Also, we beat Chelsea 3-0 at their place on New Year's Day to complete probably the best Christmas ever - I have another hour's footage of that one as well. What a goal by Tony Daley!!

Yep what a great Christmas period that was!  Dismantled Manchester United on Boxing Day and then beat the reigning champions a couple of days later (though I thought it was 2-1). Those two results, particularly the Aresenal one, signalled that we were serious contenders for the league title.   

Totally agree, one of the best Christmases I can remember as a Villa fan.

Against Arsenal, I remember us singing "Hand it over, hand it over, hand it over, Arsenal"

I think Adams got a latish goal in Arsenal game.

Manure were battered though I think we lost 2-0 to them which all but ended out title tilt.

Is I recall the Arsenal game was 2-1 but their players went barmy because they thought one of our goals was offside. I was also at the game at Old Trafford. I think it was midweek Mark Robins got both there goal.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2014, 12:46:42 PM »
I have video footage of that memorable match. If I recall we beat the Arse 2-0 two days later - I have an hour's footage of that game. Also, we beat Chelsea 3-0 at their place on New Year's Day to complete probably the best Christmas ever - I have another hour's footage of that one as well. What a goal by Tony Daley!!

Yep what a great Christmas period that was!  Dismantled Manchester United on Boxing Day and then beat the reigning champions a couple of days later (though I thought it was 2-1). Those two results, particularly the Aresenal one, signalled that we were serious contenders for the league title.   

Against Arsenal, I remember us singing "Hand it over, hand it over, hand it over, Arsenal"

Manure were battered though I think we lost 2-0 to them which all but ended out title tilt.

Is I recall the Arsenal game was 2-1 but their players went barmy because they thought one of our goals was offside. I was also at the game at Old Trafford. I think it was midweek Mark Robins got both there goal.

They were going mental at Mountfields goal, but Winterburn was late out and played him miles on, I remember it seeming to take an age to go in.

Was a Old Trafford for that game too, we had a nightmare on the travellers club coach, broke down twice on the way up and then just outside Walsall on the way back.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2014, 01:04:17 PM »

Yeah we were dreadful at OT and Robbins was on a hot streak at the time. The match stood out all the more as Lord McGrath had a shocker which in his 5 years at the Club could be counted on one hand - bet he was gutted it was against them.

The Boxing Day game was a tight one up till HT, we destroyed them after the break. They were deffinetley chanting for his head and we were milking it with Fergie on the Dole which ended up being back page headlines next day.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2014, 06:17:27 PM »
I am sure we drew 0-0 with them at Villa Park either the year before or the year after. I only remember it because it was live on the telly and I think Lee Butler made a rare appearance in goal for us.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2014, 08:46:48 PM »
I am sure we drew 0-0 with them at Villa Park either the year before or the year after. I only remember it because it was live on the telly and I think Lee Butler made a rare appearance in goal for us.

I'd forgotten all about that until I just read it. Me and my rate rated Butler, can't remember where he ended up.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2014, 06:29:50 PM »

I'd forgotten all about that until I just read it. Me and my rate rated Butler, can't remember where he ended up.

I think it was Barnsley and he made quite a few appearances for them over a fair few years.

Just checked. 8 apps for us and 120 for Barnsley over five years. I thought it was more and longer to be honest. He then went on to play quite a few games for Wigan and Halifax, which I wasn't aware of or had forgotten.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2014, 03:53:02 PM »

A forgetable game - was that not long after we signed Callaghan and Sticks?

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2014, 04:36:36 PM »

Lincoln or Scotland but from there I have no idea.

UTV
The Doc

Offline oldham_villa

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 12:25:22 AM »
I've got that match on tape.

I remember Ormondroyd slicing a relatively easy chance a mile wide.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal