collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we got a good squad?  (Read 16125 times)

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
Re: Have we got a good squad?
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2014, 08:41:19 AM »
I think there's still a few twists and turns in this squad to be had before the window closes. If Lambert's looking at bringing 2 more players in, then he must also be looking to move a couple out. But who?

Bennett- seems to have fallen below Stevens in the pecking order. Loan back to the Championship?

Lowton - I'd keep him, but he won;t be happy if he's not even making the bench when everyone's fit. Hutton is bound to get suspended and/or injured and I'd prefer Lowton at RB to Bacuna.

Herd - not likely to start many games but his versatility might make him worth keeping around?

Baker - We all know his limitations, but I don't trust any of our centre-backs not avoid injury for a whole season so another that may be worth a place in the squad.

Bent - a useful bench option at present, but if Kozak and Benteke are both going to be fit in a few weeks we'd be mad not to let him go if someone came in for him.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 08:42:51 AM »
It would be great to put one over on the Stripy Frenchmen on Sat.
We've got a crap record against them over the last few seasons.
Our "better" squad (imho) have a better chance of doing that than we did last season. And the season before.

I agree. I also think getting off to a winning start at home would have a massive effect for our home form for the rest of the season.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2014, 10:17:55 AM »
There isn't enough creativity, but we actually appear to be good at the style we're trying to play, however limited that is. Long way to go yet, and we need something from Newcastle because our run of fixtures after that is kind of unbelievable, but I'm much more hopeful than I was at 2.59pm on Saturday. With a bit of luck, we can make ourselves look a stable Premier League club in no imminent danger of catastrophe and attract a good new owner (it's possible that prospective buyers this summer were worried about doing a 'Fulham' after our crap performances).

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2014, 10:40:10 AM »
Brad Guzan is not one of the best 5 GK's in the league. De Gea, Cech, Courtios, Lloris, Hart, Krul, Howard, Begovic, Vorm.... are all better.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2014, 10:44:15 AM »
Guzan has been very consistent for a long period of time. I would disagree with your view, as I expect many others will.

Offline supertom

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2014, 10:52:19 AM »
An okay squad. With everyone fit and playing most of the season, we should be looking at mid-table to be honest. Somewhere between 9th-13th. Solid and comfortable, not good enough to kick on that little bit further. I think we've thus far done just about enough to edge us over the bottom feeders. We're in the middle pile of teams like Stoke, the Toon, Southampton etc who are probably too good for the drop, but need to stay clear of injuries just to make sure.
I think we're better than the likes of Leicester, Burnley, Palace, West Brom etc. Last season you couldn't have said that (replace current promoted clubs with last years promoted sides).

I think we'll do alright. I think we'll perform better in games against the clubs around and below us on the whole. We won't have to survive on 2-3 spectacular results against the big boys.

I think we'll safely pass the 40 point mark. Possibly get close to the 50 region.

1-2 more signings will make that just a little easier too.

Offline supertom

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2014, 10:53:43 AM »
Brad Guzan is not one of the best 5 GK's in the league. De Gea, Cech, Courtios, Lloris, Hart, Krul, Howard, Begovic, Vorm.... are all better.
I think De Gea is vastly overrated. Hart has been off the boil for a couple of years too. Guzan and Howard are about on a par. Vorm hasn't been as good as his debut Prem season.
The Goose is up there.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2014, 10:55:01 AM »
Guzan is easily one of the best keepers in the league and fairly unique in that he can actually come for a cross.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2014, 10:57:26 AM »
Guzan is good enough for our current level. :)

Offline OasisVillain

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2014, 11:00:21 AM »
I think we have a good squad............. whether it's good enough or strong enough is another matter, seems like it's the strongest squad we've had under Lambert

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2014, 11:01:07 AM »

No they're not.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2014, 11:07:28 AM »
The squad needs more creativity in the central and wide areas. If we can pick up a couple of good quality players who fit that bill, then we will have a good chance of finishing in the top half.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »

I wouldn't take Begovic or Vorm over Guzan, and would say that he's probably on a par with Krul. The others I'd agree with though. That said, I think Guzan's been on an upward curve since claiming the number one spot, and I fully expect him to improve further this season, especially given he'll have much more dependable defence in front of him.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2014, 11:58:39 AM »
I remember how horrible Newcastle at home was last season so I'm not holding out any hope.  But Stoke was a nice surprise.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2014, 12:08:08 PM »
To look at it purely objectively let's imagine this squad belongs to lets say for arguments sake, Swansea. For me it's not the worst squad in the league but it will be an achievement if that squad are safe from relegation by mid April.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal