collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Dave
[Today at 10:27:30 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by paul_e
[Today at 10:25:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:24:40 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by johnc
[Today at 10:22:47 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by johnc
[Today at 10:19:28 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:13:48 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 10:04:08 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Joe Cole  (Read 105114 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Joe Cole
« Reply #765 on: April 21, 2015, 11:06:17 PM »
Speaking to a couple of scouters after the game and they said Cole had had to get a bungalow in Liverpool because he had trouble getting up stairs after a game. Sounded dubious but they had just lost and probably weren't in the mood for joking.

They were very, very dismissive of Sterling and his attitude.

Offline supertom

« Reply #766 on: April 22, 2015, 12:28:48 AM »
I get the impression that Cole is great around the club and a positive influence on Grealish.
This was my main hope when we bought in Cole. My expectations for him on the pitch were zero, but I hoped he could have a positive influence on Grealish.
In all honesty too, Cole hasn't done too badly when he's actually played. Sure he can't run any more but he's showed some experience which has proved useful at times. I thought he did well when he came on against Spurs. The vast Wembley pitch is a bit beyond him now, even in a cameo.
I suspect he's got one more Burnley-esque game in him before the season is out though.
Probably West Ham at home ??
Quite possibly. They've pretty much drawn the curtain on their season and Cole will perhaps have a point to prove. I do fancy that to be the game which seals our survival.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #767 on: April 22, 2015, 12:34:49 AM »
Speaking to a couple of scouters after the game and they said Cole had had to get a bungalow in Liverpool because he had trouble getting up stairs after a game. Sounded dubious but they had just lost and probably weren't in the mood for joking.

They were very, very dismissive of Sterling and his attitude.

To be fair, Sterling's attitude stinks to fuck.

I dont mind players making big money, but the sense of entitlement on a player so young who has proved so little makes me want to gag.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #768 on: April 22, 2015, 12:38:03 AM »
re Cole, I found myself thinking, as Grealish made way for him on Sunday, "old replaces new", followed by, "how nice to see a player with an increasingly evident bald spot"

Offline peter w

« Reply #769 on: April 22, 2015, 05:06:33 AM »
I think Cole could become important in the last few games. A steady head needed for the run in as it could get very nervy and he has been in this position before.

Regarding Sterling a lot has been said but we, obviously being Villa fans we're hugely removed from it, don't know anything. Football fans tend to exaggerate reasons for players not signing new contracts - he wants £200 000, a villa in Santa monica, to shag Miss World - when all he's actually said is that he doesn't want to sit down and sign a new contract now. He's getting hugely criticised and everyone has decided that he he's a greedy so and so. A little bit like some people were starting to be negative towards Delph and then look what happened.

He's a great player Sterling. Should get even better. No-one knows why he doesn't want to sign on the dotted line straight away and I'm not sure he deserves the criticism.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #770 on: April 22, 2015, 05:20:41 AM »
Based on his stats for this season he's a good player. He's a good player who at times is very good and can even be exceptional. He's certainly shouldn't be considered great given his total body of work in my opinion.

A lot of Liverpool players elevated their game and were made to look a lot better than they are with Suarez in the side. Great players like Suarez elevate everyone around them. Sterling doesn't do that and the hype surrounding him has been a bit nuts. That and his "interview" goes again to highlight how some players simply lose perspective with the slightest bit of success. Turning down £100k a week is utterly ludicrous.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #771 on: April 22, 2015, 06:39:21 AM »
I saw Cole in London a few weeks back, he was with his wife/girlfriend pushing a pram.  They were bickering and looked to be in foul moods.  He looked old.  She sounded a right bitch.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #772 on: April 22, 2015, 06:47:46 AM »
He's listed as an investor in the Pretty Green clothing range. That's got to be worth a few Bob.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #773 on: April 22, 2015, 07:51:44 AM »
What was interesting for me was the clips afterwards, Cole was right in the middle of much of the celebrations. The squad clearly love him, he is having a good impact on Grealish and his cameo roles are quite useful. Plus his goal at Burnley looks priceless right now. I think Sherwood will keep him around next season and use him like he has so far.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #774 on: April 22, 2015, 08:12:33 AM »
I think Sherwood will keep him around next season and use him like he has so far.

His main role seems to be to keep the ball in the last few minutes if we look like getting some points.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #775 on: April 22, 2015, 08:27:34 AM »
Regarding Sterling a lot has been said but we, obviously being Villa fans we're hugely removed from it, don't know anything. Football fans tend to exaggerate reasons for players not signing new contracts - he wants £200 000, a villa in Santa monica, to shag Miss World - when all he's actually said is that he doesn't want to sit down and sign a new contract now. He's getting hugely criticised and everyone has decided that he he's a greedy so and so. A little bit like some people were starting to be negative towards Delph and then look what happened.

He's a great player Sterling. Should get even better. No-one knows why he doesn't want to sign on the dotted line straight away and I'm not sure he deserves the criticism.
Fully agree Peter.

The suggestion is that he wants to move to a club where he is more likely to win things. Based on this year, thinking that there might be better places to do it than Liverpool isn't a crazy idea.

Even if it just about money - Liverpool's income next year is likely to be 70% higher than this year because of the increased TV income. The old income had the likes of Glen Johnson on £90k per week and Gerrard on £140k per week. He's been told every step of the way that he is going to be one of the best players in the world, it stands to reason that he would probably rate himself as more important to the club than Glen Johnson is and should be compensated accordingly.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #776 on: April 22, 2015, 08:35:47 AM »
I can see the argument Dave, but I think he is being advised very poorly. He has had a couple of hot periods of form but so far is 20, and not proved anything over a sustained period. He signed a new deal 12-15 months ago on a lot of money reportedly, so is already very well paid for his age and standing. Your use of Johnson, he was bought for 19 million and was the first choice England right back at the time. Sterling is still very raw, very young, is playing regularly in a side that this season has reached 2 cup semi finals, last year came second in the league. His chances of winning things might actually not improve that much short of going to Real Madrid or Chelsea for example. If I were his agent, or advising his mum, I would be telling him to take the 120k a week on offer, and then give it 2 years to develop as a player before trying to move on. At the moment it just seems silly to me.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #777 on: April 22, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »
He signed a new deal 12-15 months ago on a lot of money reportedly, so is already very well paid for his age and standing.
So why is everybody fretting about him not signing another one now then? Why can't he just carry on for now on the deal that he signed a year ago?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:10:03 AM by Dave »

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #778 on: April 22, 2015, 09:46:01 AM »

Fully agree Peter.

The suggestion is that he wants to move to a club where he is more likely to win things. Based on this year, thinking that there might be better places to do it than Liverpool isn't a crazy idea.

Even if it just about money - Liverpool's income next year is likely to be 70% higher than this year because of the increased TV income. The old income had the likes of Glen Johnson on £90k per week and Gerrard on £140k per week. He's been told every step of the way that he is going to be one of the best players in the world, it stands to reason that he would probably rate himself as more important to the club than Glen Johnson is and should be compensated accordingly.

they are giving Henderson £100k per week, Sterling must think he is worth £250k per week at least :-)

can understand the top top players getting top top money (still think it's wrong mind you) but average players shouldn't be paid that kind of money, that is where English football has got it wrong

Offline Ryu

« Reply #779 on: April 22, 2015, 10:39:21 AM »
I've been pleasantly surprised by Cole when he's been fit this season.  A couple of good performances as a starter and his attitude when he's came on under Sherwood has been good.  Seems to know and happily accept his role in the squad.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal