collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 11th December 1976  (Read 12498 times)

Offline JG

Re: 11th December 1976
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 03:47:39 PM »
Andy Gray may be a bit of a knob these days but he was a superb centre forward

You can't say that you nutter, that's his lad posting above you!

I've heard worse......

Must be a strange thing to deal with, hearing/reading people giving your dad stick when they've never met him. If it was my dad, I'd join in.

Yep, can't say it's something I've ever really got used to & some comments are harder to take than others, but I suppose you have to take the good with the bad. It's easy to judge people with a media presence, but the portrayed image is rarely the reality. As you say, people who've never even met him pass judgement as if holier than thou. As his son I'm obviously naturally defensive, but I figured out a long time ago it's best just to bite my tongue.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »
Jg- people can say ha dad was a knob but I tell you he wS the best knob I've seen pull on a villa number 9 shirt.
Wish we had 11 knobs like him running out every game
One gripe I have to ask, was it his idea thT on the opening night of his night club holy city zoo anyone who turned up in striped pyjamas got in free ???
Have a guess which knob and his mate was the only people in striped pyjamas in the queue

Offline JG

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 08:15:30 PM »
Jg- people can say ha dad was a knob but I tell you he wS the best knob I've seen pull on a villa number 9 shirt.
Wish we had 11 knobs like him running out every game
One gripe I have to ask, was it his idea thT on the opening night of his night club holy city zoo anyone who turned up in striped pyjamas got in free ???
Have a guess which knob and his mate was the only people in striped pyjamas in the queue

Cheers pal. None of us are perfect, I'd never claim my Dad is, but he's a good man & people shouldn't believe everything they read in the papers.

No idea about the pyjamas, I'm speaking to him tomorrow, I'll be sure to ask & get back to you

Offline class-of-82

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 08:31:03 PM »
Your right some of the shit that is written in the media is terrible, there is always two sides to everything and a lot of people only want to hear the one side.
By the way me and my mate did get in free and got some free drinks from people who wS laughing at us so much

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 01:08:24 PM »
Wasn't that second goal from Andy Gray used as part of the intro every week on Star Soccer or am I confusing it with another as it was such a typical Gray goal?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 02:23:48 PM »
I have a great framed picture taken at a Q&A in Sutton Coldfield in 1988 for Nigel Spink's testimonial, taken by (and very kindly sent to me by) Terry Weir. Me with Andy Gray, Spink, Allan Evans and SGT.

Oh, and Nev ;).

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 04:54:07 PM »
I have a great framed picture taken at a Q&A in Sutton Coldfield in 1988 for Nigel Spink's testimonial, taken by (and very kindly sent to me by) Terry Weir. Me with Andy Gray, Spink, Allan Evans and SGT.

Oh, and Nev ;).

Share please, if only for us to laugh at the inevitable mullets.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 09:21:29 PM »

Oh, and Nev ;).

Share please, if only for us to laugh at the inevitable mullets.

It is actually at my parents house. Not that I would have a clue how to share/post it anyway. I am guilty on the mullet. It is also bleached blonde. I would fit right in with Chandler and Ross in the Friends flashbacks or with the  cast of The Wedding Singer. If I remember correctly Nev is sporting a 'flat top' style.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2015, 02:02:25 AM »
There is a great pic of Andy Gray, who was the best centre forward in my many years of playing for Aston Villa by the way. beating John Wark, who was playing centre back for Ipswich in 76/77 in 5-2 victory. Will sort it out. Gray, Sir Brian and Deehan were a part of the best Villa performance I have ever seen v Liverpool on that cold Wednesday night

Offline the-farmer

• GM : Nov, 2013
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »
Dad took me to that Ipswich game, pity he hadn't took me to the Liverpool match but I think the fog put him off. I'm sure in the Ipswich game Gray scored a hat trick, one of the goals was a diving header about 2' off the ground ?

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »
If Andy Gray is a knob then I would like all our players to be knobs. 

That season 76/77 he was fantastic, probably his best goal was the header against Man Ure.  Would love to know the real reason for bombing him and Gidman out of Villa Park the following season.

Turning back to the Leeds game only our 3rd victory away back in the top division in a season and a half, the first two being Everton and Sunderland (again Gray getting our winner at Sunderland) and I missed all three.  Only missed one other away that season as well Newcastle.

Offline the-farmer

• GM : Nov, 2013
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 02:32:43 PM »
I read somewhere that Gray had been knocking off a secretary & she gave him access to who was earning what. When he & Gidman found out they weren't amused & decided they were off.

Offline class-of-82

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 05:54:14 PM »
Thought it was because his nightclub holy city zoo had run up massive debts and he needed the was it 10% of the transfer fee to bail it out and pay off his debtors.

Only jg can tell us the truth

Offline class-of-82

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2015, 06:55:24 PM »
The-farmer
When I was 16 my grandad transferred shares he had bought for me with my savings into my name and so I got a copy of end of year accounts and there was a list of how many people earned what, no one was named but it was In print that 5 ppl say earned 200k 3 ppl earned 250k and so on and so on.it wouldn't of been hard to work out who the top earners was so I'm sure he wouldn't of needed a secretary to let him have Access I might be wrong though

Offline JG

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 06:37:18 PM »
The Zoo didn't end well & rumours about Dad knocking off any female are likely to have some base of credibility, but Dad left Villa for one reason & one reason only & that was because he fell out with Ron Saunders.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal