collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa Memorabilia by purpletrousers
[Today at 04:19:42 AM]

Next season's kits by Axl Rose
[Today at 01:07:23 AM]

Summer Olympics/Paralympics, Tokyo, delayed to 2021 by Axl Rose
[Today at 01:04:44 AM]

Reserves and Academy 2021/22 by Fred Crump
[Today at 12:44:01 AM]

NSWE Investment by cdbullyweefan
[Today at 12:39:48 AM]

Emi Buendia - Signed by brontebilly
[Today at 12:14:40 AM]

Villa T.V. subscription by eamonn
[Today at 12:04:59 AM]

Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours. by eamonn
[Today at 12:00:14 AM]

July 03, 2021, 09:28:05 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1085 | Comments: 15

It would have been fitting if ...
June 23, 2021, 06:40:04 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 663 | Comments: 2

Having a total aversion to Sub...
June 15, 2021, 06:18:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 754 | Comments: 2

It is not unknown for us to le...
June 07, 2021, 11:24:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 821 | Comments: 3

The money had almost run out b...
May 13, 2021, 11:54:37 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1565 | Comments: 10

Itís forever been a myst...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish - for life?  (Read 2070204 times)

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
Re: Jack Grealish - for life?
« Reply #22665 on: June 22, 2021, 11:01:13 PM »
Hopefully the other players will actually pass to him tonight. Could be the most important game of his life tonight.

Nonsense, sorry. He's played in two playoff finals, two cup finals, and a last day relegation decider. All more important even than the World Cup Final, let alone a Euros group game.

Yep, I understand the profile that comes with playing international tournament football, but personally I hate hearing the same commentators who think everybody supports the English team in the Champions League, calling Jack 'Jack'.

They don't have that right. He's ours.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #22666 on: June 23, 2021, 04:26:00 AM »
Well- he did his job there when he managed to get the ball. Not the best of games. First half was decent, second half instantly forgettable. Canít see England going past the semis if they keep going like this.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 14.09.2017
« Reply #22667 on: June 23, 2021, 05:15:21 AM »
Sterling actually passing to him would help. I think he is a better player coming from the left too, but Gareth the wise seems unable to grasp that and swallow his pride to actually play him there.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #22668 on: June 23, 2021, 07:53:12 AM »
He played well within himself and didn't seem to want to dominate the ball, as he does (has to do) with us.
I think the instruction from southgate was to get the ball wide to Saka and the fullbacks at every opportunity, not go through the congested middle, where JG played much of the game. I noticed also that he did much less tracking-back than he does for us; a good thing in terms of his fitness and health.
He did what was required of him, without dominating the game.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 11.07.2015
« Reply #22669 on: June 23, 2021, 08:20:55 AM »
Less of the negative vibes CT. If Jack starts and has an average game it will be because he is still carrying an injury or isnt given enough of the ball. Otherwise he will be the stand-out performer.

Wasnít being negative at all. Just pointing out that even a remotely average game will see Southgate bomb him out for the next game.

Iím aware of how good he is.

I think something to bear in mind is we've actually seen Jack have - what we Villa fans would consider - an 'average' game for England, and he was STILL considered man of the match.  That's a reflection of his standard when he's absolutely on it.  He would have to have an absolute stinker for him to have an 'average' game by England standards, and I just don't see it happening.  If he plays for 90 minutes, he will, at a minimum, do a handful of things that will get the crowd going and have even more people clamouring for his inclusion.

And there it is. Another game where Jack has done OK by his Villa standards, and the press are fawning over him as a result. I though Saka was brilliant, but most people have him and Jack as the standouts.

Genuinely not sure what to make of him being taken off. Saving his legs? Tiring too much?

Offline Monty

• GM : 26.08.2019
« Reply #22670 on: June 23, 2021, 08:51:19 AM »
Yeah he just changes the game. His minimum level is still something else.

I think this is the thing with Jack as well - it's not just that he's really good, he's also genuinely unique. I don't actually remember another player like him, a proper playmaker who does it mostly by dribbling and deft hand-offs, whose main trick is slowing down a defence until they jump, who's also the most devastating player on the counterattack in the league. To get his strengths out fully you have to build around him. So please stay Jack - only we will love you like you deserve.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #22671 on: June 23, 2021, 08:54:30 AM »
Less of the negative vibes CT. If Jack starts and has an average game it will be because he is still carrying an injury or isnt given enough of the ball. Otherwise he will be the stand-out performer.

Wasnít being negative at all. Just pointing out that even a remotely average game will see Southgate bomb him out for the next game.

Iím aware of how good he is.

I think something to bear in mind is we've actually seen Jack have - what we Villa fans would consider - an 'average' game for England, and he was STILL considered man of the match.  That's a reflection of his standard when he's absolutely on it.  He would have to have an absolute stinker for him to have an 'average' game by England standards, and I just don't see it happening.  If he plays for 90 minutes, he will, at a minimum, do a handful of things that will get the crowd going and have even more people clamouring for his inclusion.

And there it is. Another game where Jack has done OK by his Villa standards, and the press are fawning over him as a result. I though Saka was brilliant, but most people have him and Jack as the standouts.

Genuinely not sure what to make of him being taken off. Saving his legs? Tiring too much?
Yes its amusing that the press are loving him but he's been nowhere near in comparison to what he achieves in games for us.
He'll need to learn to settle for what he's producing in an England shirt as he's getting lots of positive reaction even though he's miles off compared to what we're lucky enough to see.

Offline stevenavfc

« Reply #22672 on: June 23, 2021, 10:05:35 AM »
Noticed he was making good runs that were ignored. Quite often he had to rely on second balls to get a touch especially second half. When he often has 2 or 3 opposition players around him his team mates seem reluctant to try and find him.

Offline algy

« Reply #22673 on: June 23, 2021, 10:13:41 AM »
Noticed he was making good runs that were ignored. Quite often he had to rely on second balls to get a touch especially second half. When he often has 2 or 3 opposition players around him his team mates seem reluctant to try and find him.
Probably why we don't see 9/10 performances from him for England - he's not being given the chance to.  They look up, see that he's pretty well marked, and it doesn't quite click with them that it's almost irrelevant how many players are around him.

Offline darren woolley

« Reply #22674 on: June 23, 2021, 11:30:03 AM »
Jack played really well against Czech Republic brilliant cross for Sterling's goal.

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 01.02.2022
« Reply #22675 on: June 23, 2021, 11:36:39 AM »
Probably why we don't see 9/10 performances from him for England - he's not being given the chance to.  They look up, see that he's pretty well marked, and it doesn't quite click with them that it's almost irrelevant how many players are around him.
Exactly this. Because theyíre not comfortable receiving the ball when marked they judge Jack by their own standards.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 28.01.2022
« Reply #22676 on: June 23, 2021, 12:19:57 PM »
Jack was played as a direct replacement for Mount in the centre meaning that as soon as Mount is free to play (assume the next game) it is easy to drop out Jack

Southgate is an arrogant fucking coward - the sooner we lose so our 2 can go on holiday the better

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 12.03.2022
« Reply #22677 on: June 23, 2021, 01:05:16 PM »
I think the assumption that Barry Glendenning was pissed on the Guardian podcast post the Scotland game might be accurate. He just said he was impressed with Jack against the Czechs and in his half hour against the Scots.

Offline colin69

« Reply #22678 on: June 23, 2021, 01:34:24 PM »
Hopefully the other players will actually pass to him tonight. Could be the most important game of his life tonight.

Nonsense, sorry. He's played in two playoff finals, two cup finals, and a last day relegation decider. All more important even than the World Cup Final, let alone a Euros group game.
No not nonsense at all, sorry.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

« Reply #22679 on: June 23, 2021, 01:39:04 PM »
Coufal the west spammer is a c*** in talking about Jack and particularly Villa. No chance that idiot recognising a big club!
Stay sh-t coufal!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal