collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa Memorabilia by purpletrousers
[Today at 04:19:42 AM]

Next season's kits by Axl Rose
[Today at 01:07:23 AM]

Summer Olympics/Paralympics, Tokyo, delayed to 2021 by Axl Rose
[Today at 01:04:44 AM]

Reserves and Academy 2021/22 by Fred Crump
[Today at 12:44:01 AM]

NSWE Investment by cdbullyweefan
[Today at 12:39:48 AM]

Emi Buendia - Signed by brontebilly
[Today at 12:14:40 AM]

Villa T.V. subscription by eamonn
[Today at 12:04:59 AM]

Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours. by eamonn
[Today at 12:00:14 AM]

July 03, 2021, 09:28:05 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1085 | Comments: 15

It would have been fitting if ...
June 23, 2021, 06:40:04 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 663 | Comments: 2

Having a total aversion to Sub...
June 15, 2021, 06:18:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 754 | Comments: 2

It is not unknown for us to le...
June 07, 2021, 11:24:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 821 | Comments: 3

The money had almost run out b...
May 13, 2021, 11:54:37 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1565 | Comments: 10

Itís forever been a myst...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish - for life?  (Read 2070203 times)

Offline TonyD

Re: Jack Grealish - for life?
« Reply #22140 on: June 14, 2021, 12:49:35 AM »
For me he was the easily the best player when we beat Chelsea and very solid in the CL final. 

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2022
« Reply #22141 on: June 14, 2021, 01:04:22 AM »
BTW.  Why wasnít Chilwell even on the bench??
He was easily the pick for me LB ??   

Because we needed to have 2 keepers on the bench. You know for all those occasions where you need to sub more than one keeper.

I didn't notice he had two goalies on the bench. Good god, the ineptitude is astounding. Without looking at the squad, who are the reserve goalies? Henderson is one I'd imagine?

Villa legend Sam Johnstone was that other. Using the Birmingham City calculator one of 4 players we have in the squad.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #22142 on: June 14, 2021, 01:12:39 AM »
Sterling was about to come off when he scored, apart from that he was very poor. Jack will get his chance when Southgate is desperate, you heard the supporters when Grealish came out to warm up, so did Southgate.

TBH, knowing Horseface as we do, that's quite likely to make him go the other way.

If Ing er Lund wrap up qualification by the next game he might 'give' Jack a start in an ultimately risk free dead rubber.

Failing that, it will be after the 70 minute mark in the knockout stages. So he can technically say "See, I give flare a chance. I'm dead cool, me."

In a natty Burton waistcoat.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #22143 on: June 14, 2021, 01:19:38 AM »
Not that astounding. Every single team has had two goalies on the bench.

Is that right? I really need to fall in love with international football again. I'm not sure when I fell out of love with it, as had great times in Portugal at Euro 2004 and Germany in 2006.

I'm blaming 2010 when I really wanted to go to such an interesting continent, but the prices were astronomical! And England were shit.

I'll be cheering on Scotland later, mate!

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #22144 on: June 14, 2021, 01:20:41 AM »
BTW.  Why wasnít Chilwell even on the bench??
He was easily the pick for me LB ??   

Because we needed to have 2 keepers on the bench. You know for all those occasions where you need to sub more than one keeper.

I didn't notice he had two goalies on the bench. Good god, the ineptitude is astounding. Without looking at the squad, who are the reserve goalies? Henderson is one I'd imagine?

Villa legend Sam Johnstone was that other. Using the Birmingham City calculator one of 4 players we have in the squad.

Ah, good for Sam! I'm guessing Walker would be our other, besides Tyrone and Jack?

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 27.01.2022
« Reply #22145 on: June 14, 2021, 01:21:26 AM »
Not that astounding. Every single team has had two goalies on the bench.

Is that right? I really need to fall in love with international football again. I'm not sure when I fell out of love with it, as had great times in Portugal at Euro 2004 and Germany in 2006.

I'm blaming 2010 when I really wanted to go to such an interesting continent, but the prices were astronomical! And England were shit.

I'll be cheering on Scotland later, mate!

Thanks mate. I'm shitting it.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #22146 on: June 14, 2021, 04:04:21 AM »
Iím hoping the Jocks do OK too. Weíve got MCGinn, super John McGinn...

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #22147 on: June 14, 2021, 06:11:44 AM »
The "Southgate doesn't play Jack, he's a twat" thing is a bit....wrong-headed, isn't it? He plays Mings when most of us often question his reliability for Villa.
Grealish has only broken through for England this season, he's missed a lot of football in 2021 and was always going to find it difficult to get in ahead of players who Southgate has played and trusted since he became manager. Sterling proved his worth with the winner today. Foden has been playing for the best team in the country and doing it in the Champions League.

Jack's time will come, either from the bench or making such an impression in a possible dead-rubber game against the Czech that he gets a start for the knock-outs.
I didnít expect Grealish to start and was actually just pleased he decided to pick one of Grealish or Foden, as thought he might go ultra safety first and play 3 cbs and two wing backs/5 man defence. The thing that aggravated me, was the stream of subs he used after bringing off the three front players, he really couldnít of replaced Sterling or Foden with Grealish? I donít think this is anti villa, I think heís trying to prove a point thatís heís the boss etc and Grealish will suffer for it in this tourno.
I suppose after each sub I had that growing realisation that it doesnít look like Grealish is going to play a lot, which I found incredibly frustrating.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 15.08.2021
« Reply #22148 on: June 14, 2021, 07:40:56 AM »
Well we'll know after the Scotland game one way or the other.

Personally I think he'll play a part against Scotland, I'm sure of it. Wouldn't be surprised if he started him actually but if not certainly coming off the bench after 65.

Southgate's many things but he's not an idiot. In the early stages he'll want to keep both the squad happy and other teams guessing.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 24.04.2022
« Reply #22149 on: June 14, 2021, 08:04:59 AM »

Personally I think he'll play a part against Scotland, I'm sure of it. Wouldn't be surprised if he started him actually but if not certainly coming off the bench after 65.

Southgate's many things but he's not an idiot. In the early stages he'll want to keep both the squad happy and other teams guessing.

Yep, surprised he didnít get a run out but will be interesting how much he varies selection to the opposition. Iím not sure he was entirely vindicated in his decision by a 1-0 win, likely Jack would have created more chances, I still think Jack will get a chance to make his mark.

Offline algy

« Reply #22150 on: June 14, 2021, 08:42:59 AM »

Yeah, I'd say that I wouldn't read anything in to one game.   In fact, I'd not read much in to any of the group stage games really, as long as he makes an appearance of sorts (even if it's just 20 minutes at the end of the Scotland game).

I'd be more worried if he wasn't involved in the knockout stages, should England get that far.  For me, Grealish's value to the England side will increase exponentially as they play sides that are harder to break down.  Given he's just had a long stretch out, and he can't yet train fully, I'd be inclined to say that he should be rested in games you'd expect England to win anyway so that he's fresh for the (up to) 4 knockout matches.  That's where he'll make the big difference, I think ... England would get to the knockout stages with or without Grealish IMO, it's how they do after that which'd be influenced by him being in the side.

Anyway, what am I saying?  Cymru am byth :)

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 27.01.2022
« Reply #22151 on: June 14, 2021, 08:51:33 AM »
Don't pick him against Scotland, please.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #22152 on: June 14, 2021, 09:02:33 AM »

Yeah, I'd say that I wouldn't read anything in to one game.   In fact, I'd not read much in to any of the group stage games really, as long as he makes an appearance of sorts (even if it's just 20 minutes at the end of the Scotland game).

I'd be more worried if he wasn't involved in the knockout stages, should England get that far.  For me, Grealish's value to the England side will increase exponentially as they play sides that are harder to break down.  Given he's just had a long stretch out, and he can't yet train fully, I'd be inclined to say that he should be rested in games you'd expect England to win anyway so that he's fresh for the (up to) 4 knockout matches.  That's where he'll make the big difference, I think ... England would get to the knockout stages with or without Grealish IMO, it's how they do after that which'd be influenced by him being in the side.

Anyway, what am I saying?  Cymru am byth :)

As much as this might be true Grealish has never played in an international tournament, if Southgate has any plans to use him as you describe then he should be getting game time early. If Grealish is going to be involved then he'll start against scotland, if he doesn't then it's safe to assume that Southgate has no plans to use him as anything more than an emergency sub if the wheels come off.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #22153 on: June 14, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »
Southgate's attitude to Jack reminds me of the way Alf Ramsey treated Jimmy Greaves.  Not so much a player to use on the field but an extravagance whose principal quality was as a means of stamping his authority on his squad.  Southgate has won nothing of significance as a player or a manager because he completely devoid of imagination.  He will regard the pinnacle of his managerial aspirations to be a plucky 0-1 in the semis or even the quarters.  His big dream is a knighthood and ten million in a depost account.  Glory does not come into the plan.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 12.10.2021
« Reply #22154 on: June 14, 2021, 09:15:04 AM »
Well said Brian.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal