collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.
January 17, 2021, 06:10:15 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 437 | Comments: 7

Jimmy Rimmer, Nigel Spink and ...
January 13, 2021, 02:59:00 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 815 | Comments: 9

There have been some fairly ug...
January 08, 2021, 02:00:55 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 986 | Comments: 0

As a one time moderately succe...
December 30, 2020, 09:43:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1427 | Comments: 15

Watching the Chelsea match on ...
December 20, 2020, 12:54:02 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1567 | Comments: 9

When Villa finally sank down t...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish - for life?  (Read 1696483 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Jack Grealish - for life?
« Reply #19290 on: December 01, 2020, 11:55:12 AM »
He should get better protection than what he does. The ref missed a couple of bookings like when his marker tried to nip in front of him and then caught him.

He does himself no favours when he does pathetic dives like that though. Other clubs fans used to call him a diver and I couldn't see that but things like that will just give his haters evidence to their argument and he'll get a reputation for diving and less protection from refs than even now.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 06.07.2021
« Reply #19291 on: December 01, 2020, 12:02:44 PM »
I thought he was superb last night. He just seems to dance around players. Great to watch and I’m struggling to think of any Villa players in my 50 years of watching us who had similar attributes.

I’m struggling to think of any player for any team. Last night Carragher said the nearest he could think of was Eden Hazard, high praise but he’s hitting that sort of level now by dominating almost every game he plays.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 02.03.2021
« Reply #19292 on: December 01, 2020, 12:07:18 PM »
One thing is for sure, without him we'd be very ordinary.  We need better players around him.

Online LukeJames

« Reply #19293 on: December 01, 2020, 01:00:12 PM »
Has anyone got the footage of Jack going down after the clash where Fornals was booked.  He's getting slated everywhere this morning by the usual haters but there was a delay there.  Would be interested to see again

I've seen it a few times on FB now. There was definitely deliberate contact to the back of his knee but he went down theatrically.

Its something thats pissed me off in the past but now fuck it, I havent got a single issue with him doing it any more. Being honest gets you fuck all as we found out last nite, you have to throw yourself to the ground in order too get the correct decisions.

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 05.04.2021
« Reply #19294 on: December 01, 2020, 01:20:19 PM »
I think 'drawing the foul' is just an intrinsic part of his game, he's very good at it and wouldn't be anywhere near as effective a player without it.  To be fair to him he'd rather beat players and does when he can, but often winning the foul is the best he can do.  Sometimes there's a delay while he considers the options, and we get the embarrassing collapse.

I don't like it, but it's part of the game and all teams do it to some degree.  He's just very good at it.

Offline AGRIPPA

« Reply #19295 on: December 01, 2020, 03:12:01 PM »
Has anyone got the footage of Jack going down after the clash where Fornals was booked.  He's getting slated everywhere this morning by the usual haters but there was a delay there.  Would be interested to see again

I've seen it a few times on FB now. There was definitely deliberate contact to the back of his knee but he went down theatrically.

The theatrics were awful...it shouldn't be condoned under any circumstances.
We have to drive to be better than that...we are AVFC

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 10.10.2021
« Reply #19296 on: December 01, 2020, 08:28:19 PM »
Plus when he goes to ground he is holding his other knee:

Link to FB video
WH 41 left knee clashes with his left knee just before the delayed reaction

Online brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
« Reply #19297 on: December 01, 2020, 11:25:25 PM »
Looked a bad dive to me. What about that bit of skill when he set Ollie up though? Stupendous.

Unbelievable skill and cross. The cross gets overlooked but it was inch perfect with his left foot.

Terrible miss from Watkins. Keeper was wrong footed , defender out of position. Just needed to be strong and head the ball down and it was a certain goal. One of those nights...

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #19298 on: December 02, 2020, 12:20:23 AM »
Looked a bad dive to me. What about that bit of skill when he set Ollie up though? Stupendous.

This feels like I'm repeating myself from last week but there was enough contact to be a foul, Jack thought he could get the ball but when it didn't come he went down so he'd get the free kick the challenge deserved, if refs were willing to give fouls without players going to ground in those situations the whole thing would change. I don't blame players for going down easily, the entire system is managed in a way that forces them to and it's completely unnecessary, just play 4-5 seconds advantage and if nothing has come from it give the foul, the solution for this has to come from the officials not the players, clubs or coaches.

Offline Ads

• GM : 02.04.2021
« Reply #19299 on: December 02, 2020, 06:29:26 AM »
The theatrics were absolutely necessary, as he is clearly fouled and by exaggerating he drew attention to the fact it was a foul, which would have been otherwise missed. Much like Trez with the very clear and obvious shirts pulls from Rice. If he doesn't go down, then he doesn't get the foul.

Anybody who has a problem with Jack doing what he did is clearly comfortable with Watkins not getting a penalty at the end.

If officials did their job, then players wouldn't chuck themselves to the floor.

Watkins better go down next time.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #19300 on: December 02, 2020, 07:49:59 AM »
Ha- that made me think of ‘Snatch’ when I read the last sentence 😄

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #19301 on: December 03, 2020, 09:26:08 AM »
I don't mind any theatrics from him as he gets kicked senseless in most games and a lot of the times multiple fouls from the same player doesn't end in a booking until much later in to the game so the ref doesn't have to face sending anyone off. Refs have been abysmal this year. On the pitch and in the booth watching the tv and fucking things up.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 14.02.2021
« Reply #19302 on: December 03, 2020, 02:51:59 PM »
I don't mind any theatrics from him as he gets kicked senseless in most games and a lot of the times multiple fouls from the same player doesn't end in a booking until much later in to the game so the ref doesn't have to face sending anyone off. Refs have been abysmal this year. On the pitch and in the booth watching the tv and fucking things up.

I couldn’t disagree more with this -  not the bit about the refs because you can see that they are happy to hide the poor standard of ref behind the VAR debate.

But in terms of Jack & the dive....I’m not sure two wrongs make a right, absolutely he needs more protection but doing what he did on Monday night got one free kick but will probably lose 10 in subsequent games where he has now sown the seed with refs that he is a diver.

What is really frustrating to me is that until that moment he might have been accused of buying cheap free kicks by drawing fouls off cart horse defenders he wasn’t a diver - now he is a diver in the refs eyes.

Online Drummond

• GM : 12.10.2021
« Reply #19303 on: December 03, 2020, 03:20:56 PM »
The theatrics were absolutely necessary, as he is clearly fouled and by exaggerating he drew attention to the fact it was a foul, which would have been otherwise missed. Much like Trez with the very clear and obvious shirts pulls from Rice. If he doesn't go down, then he doesn't get the foul.

Anybody who has a problem with Jack doing what he did is clearly comfortable with Watkins not getting a penalty at the end.

If officials did their job, then players wouldn't chuck themselves to the floor.

Watkins better go down next time.

And therein lies the dilemma. Watkins did what the vast majority of fans want to see, was strong, carried on and stuck the ball in the net despite being fouled. VAR should help to pull that back if he'd missed. I do wonder, if he had missed, whether we'd have been calling for a foul?

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 02.03.2021
« Reply #19304 on: December 03, 2020, 07:34:36 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal