collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.
November 28, 2020, 04:35:47 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 160 | Comments: 0

Long -time H&V stalwart Simon ...
November 26, 2020, 05:50:55 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 815 | Comments: 13

Coming to Villa Park in Octobe...
November 23, 2020, 04:23:08 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 596 | Comments: 4

These days a ten year old is l...
November 20, 2020, 12:28:50 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 483 | Comments: 3

In the euphoria of the resumpt...
November 18, 2020, 11:57:57 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 491 | Comments: 2

By Christmas 1936 those who ex...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish - for life?  (Read 1613511 times)

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Re: Jack Grealish - for life?
« Reply #18615 on: October 21, 2020, 10:53:36 AM »
Joe Cole?! Decent player but hardly world class. Grealish has the potential to be the best player of his generation. I hope he can do everything he wants to at the Villa.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2021
« Reply #18616 on: October 21, 2020, 12:24:46 PM »
... Others will know far more and better and George Best too perhaps yes as said because of how he played but Grealish isn't as much of a glider as best more a ghoster or bamboozler.
Please define 'glider', 'ghoster' and 'bamboozler'.
I've been through all my coaching manuals and can't find a reference to any of them!

George Best is the best (sic) comparison because of the way both players glide past opponents, using a combination of balance, speedy footwork and a quick turn of acceleration. Both leave opponents floundering - sometimes on their arse - and create enough doubt in their opponents' mind that a viewer can almost see the confusion in their eyes.
I don't recall that in Cole; I haven't seen that in Neymar, and I would suggest the only other likely comparison is with Maradona.
My personal all-time favourite is Cruyff, but he lacked the turn of pace that JG and George Best have / had.

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #18617 on: October 21, 2020, 12:55:49 PM »
I think he is an amazing talent but comparisons to Best do not sit comfortably with me.

Offline Footy-Vill

• Jack Grealish is the very best!
  • GM : 06.09.2021
« Reply #18618 on: October 21, 2020, 01:15:07 PM »
Joe Cole?! Decent player but hardly world class. Grealish has the potential to be the best player of his generation. I hope he can do everything he wants to at the Villa.

I think he is an amazing talent but comparisons to Best do not sit comfortably with me.

Agree dont think Joe Cole was at world class level and don't think Grealish is at this time. And this Is what George Best was labelled so he not at Best level

If I may JT said Grealish has the same “god-given talent” as Joe Cole, highlighting his speed and technical ability in possession.

“I think he’s similar to Joe Cole and Eden Hazard,”  “I just think the natural ability he’s got and that Joe Cole had, a god-given talent that not many people are blessed with but he’s certainly got."

Is what I've been trying to articulate.  The amount of talent being recognised to something akin to a English man since Joe Cole
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 01:18:46 PM by Footy-Vill »

Online Fred Crump

« Reply #18619 on: October 21, 2020, 01:22:34 PM »
I agree Mr E , George Best is the closest comparator although it’s a big claim to make. It’s obviously difficult to compare different eras ( pitch conditions, brutal defenders, heavy leather ball etc.) but I am old enough to have seen Best at his best , and I haven’t seen anyone in the English game to even warrant being mentioned as a possible comparison until Jack came along.

Online Fred Crump

« Reply #18620 on: October 21, 2020, 01:26:33 PM »
I know what you mean, but I think we are only talking general style of play. Best was a rock star when footballers had combovers and used public transport. He was a unique, tragically flawed genius.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18621 on: October 21, 2020, 04:57:23 PM »
Waddle is the comparison for me. Both are/were miles better than Gascoigne, and Grealish will turn out be miles better than both. I hope it's with us.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 11.07.2015
« Reply #18622 on: October 21, 2020, 05:09:26 PM »
The issue that Jack has, when people are making all these comparisons to players like Gazza and Best, is that really, he's still only had one season in the top flight, and in a struggling side.  He was 20 when we got relegated, with less than 50 appearances in the first team.  Then he spent three years in the Championship showing us, the fans, exactly what he was capable of.  Everyone else has seen about a year of that, at the very most.  Some have only really ever seen him perform when he's played against their team.  So of course comparing him to all-time greats is going to seem extremely premature.

For comparisons with great players like Gazza and Best to ring true, he's going to have to carry on what he's doing for another few years yet - which I'm confident he will.  I even heard one guy saying if he was "that good" he would have got into the England team before he was 25.

I think because we've seen him develop from a teenager to a player who dominated the Championship and is now doing it in the Premier League, we think of him as having been doing this "for years".  Lots of others don't see that, unfortunately.

If he carries on playing at the level he's at now, for another two or three years, even if he doesn't get the international recognition he deserves, I'm very confident he'll be recognised as one of the best English players of his generation.  If he gets the breaks he deserves at International level and stays relatively injury-free, I think by the time he's 27/28, the Gazza comparisons won't seem so silly.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #18623 on: October 21, 2020, 05:42:21 PM »
What did Gascoigne achieve? He got Spurs to a cup final and nearly ruined it for them and won some trophies in Scotland via financial doping.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 06.02.2021
« Reply #18624 on: October 21, 2020, 05:58:22 PM »
Waddle is the comparison for me. Both are/were miles better than Gascoigne, and Grealish will turn out be miles better than both. I hope it's with us.

Same here, I thought it when I first saw him in the youth team and I still think its the best comparison. I didn't see Best mind.

Offline john e

• GM : 24.01.21
« Reply #18625 on: October 21, 2020, 06:21:27 PM »
Sorry but Gazza was a fantastic player
the best English midfield player I've seen in the last 30 years
Absolute joy to watch

for me the comparisons with Grealish are good they are similar players in many aspects

I believe Grealish can go on and be the best though

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #18626 on: October 21, 2020, 06:32:01 PM »
Sorry but Gazza was a fantastic player
the best English midfield player I've seen in the last 30 years
Absolute joy to watch

for me the comparisons with Grealish are good they are similar players in many aspects

I believe Grealish can go on and be the best though

He was quite good. Didn't achieve anything and wasted his promise though.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #18627 on: October 21, 2020, 06:39:49 PM »
It doesn’t do jack any favours to be compared to anyone, he’s a unique player. It definitely doesn’t do him any favours to be compared to League Championship winning, European Cup winning, European player of the year and world famous icon that is Best. In my opinion along with Maradonna one of the greatest players to have ever played the game.
I love Jack and with every game he is flying up the list of my favourite ever Villa players, im 46 and shouldn’t  love any footballer the way I do Jack. But he has to do it the way he’s doing for a few more seasons with hopefully some trophies and hopefully for villa, before being compared to such icons. I get the comparisons are about style of play but still

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 02.03.2021
« Reply #18628 on: October 21, 2020, 06:52:36 PM »
It doesn’t do jack any favours to be compared to anyone, he’s a unique player.

On the Second Captains podcast they described Jack as being Leonardo DiCaprio to Mason Mount's Billy Zane which made me smile.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #18629 on: October 21, 2020, 07:01:57 PM »
Shearer, Le Tissier and Kane combined have won less than Phil Jones. Trophies aren't the be all or end all of judging a player.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal