collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.
September 26, 2020, 01:15:18 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 967 | Comments: 23

[url=https://ibb.co/VpNq...
September 23, 2020, 08:37:01 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 304 | Comments: 1

Players in England first offic...
September 20, 2020, 01:40:06 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 685 | Comments: 5

The commentators in the nation...
September 19, 2020, 06:29:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 645 | Comments: 4

The big news since last season...
September 02, 2020, 10:10:15 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1073 | Comments: 14

After the deflating experience...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish - for life  (Read 1499486 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2021
Re: Jack Grealish
« Reply #15810 on: August 06, 2020, 11:03:43 AM »
What Jack has that stands out from anyone else I've seen play for us is the appearance of having all the time in the world to decide what he wants to do. That calm control of everything is why he gets so many fouls and why it looks like the ball is on a string....
As per Sid Cowans. Cowans was technically the most gifted Villa player I've seen (I think!), and JG certainly has it in him to be like that.
Brian Little is my all-time favourite because of his combination of positioning, pace and ability to see a goal from almost-impossible positions.
He walked on water, y'know.

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #15811 on: August 06, 2020, 11:11:44 AM »
What Jack has that stands out from anyone else I've seen play for us is the appearance of having all the time in the world to decide what he wants to do. That calm control of everything is why he gets so many fouls and why it looks like the ball is on a string.

I've likened him to Zidane a number of times and I'm sticking with it, another season or 2 and I think that comparison will be common.

Paul McGrath had that too, albeit used to different effect in defence.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #15812 on: August 06, 2020, 11:40:38 AM »
What Jack has that stands out from anyone else I've seen play for us is the appearance of having all the time in the world to decide what he wants to do. That calm control of everything is why he gets so many fouls and why it looks like the ball is on a string.

I've likened him to Zidane a number of times and I'm sticking with it, another season or 2 and I think that comparison will be common.

Paul McGrath had that too, albeit used to different effect in defence.

Yeah, very different but I'd agree, he had the same air of complete control around him.

I can't comment on Little, he was before my time and Cowans I only really saw towards the end of his career, I barely saw any football before 1990 and only started going to games regularly in 93/94

Online Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #15813 on: August 06, 2020, 11:48:00 AM »
Cowans was just sublime. I never really got to see Little but from everything I've heard.... Shaw was magical... Merse was pretty good too.

Thise are the sorts of players Grealish should be looking to emulate. I think, with the talent he has, he can do it but he's not there yet. He's certainly the most talented player we've had for a long time though.

The comparisons are a bit harsh in that most of the other legends played at least some of the time in a successful team with mostly other top players of their day.  Jack has played most of his games for us in the Championship with some less than stellar team mates.

I know, but it's all I have to go on...

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 06.02.2021
« Reply #15814 on: August 06, 2020, 12:06:10 PM »
One of the books I read, I forget which one, focussed on data analysis and one of the attributes that seperated the best midfielders from the lesser ones was the amount of times they looked side-to-side, Xavi led the way, but PL players like Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard all looked about, in and out of possession far more than other players. I guess its that awareness of the changing dynamics of a game that makes it appear like they have more time.

Watch Jack, he's the same, always got his head up.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #15815 on: August 06, 2020, 12:19:21 PM »
It's fun to do but it's difficult comparing players of different eras. Tony Morley for instance may have played on the same side of the pitch as Jack but he was an out and out winger and very direct. Jack is a midfield player and as such more measured in his play.

I will say this though. Jack could play in any team in the world and not look out of place. He has balance and awareness and oozes class.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #15816 on: August 06, 2020, 12:26:15 PM »
The player for me who comes closest to that aura of command was Danny Blanchflower.  Jack could go on to achieve the same sort of standing in the history of the game.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #15817 on: August 06, 2020, 12:28:30 PM »
He wouldn’t get on the bench in mine, yet. Give it a few years and he might.

Depends on age doesn't it?  I was born in 81 so, going from say 88 onwards when I first went, Grealish would get in my team.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 02.03.2021
« Reply #15818 on: August 06, 2020, 12:33:41 PM »
I think Jack is now at the stage where he’d make most people’s best-ever Villa XI.

Better than Cowans and Morley? I don't think so.

We had this question amongst our group the other night.  Of those who had seen JG play from the beginning all of them had him in their best 11.  Those who hadn't didn't.  In my mind he's much better than Morley, Sid?  time will tell if we hang onto him.  One thing I can say is that, stick either of those individually into our current team and they wouldn't look half as good.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #15819 on: August 06, 2020, 12:47:04 PM »
I think Jack is now at the stage where he’d make most people’s best-ever Villa XI.

We had this question amongst our group the other night.  Of those who had seen JG play from the beginning all of them had him in their best 11.  Those who hadn't didn't.  In my mind he's much better than Morley, Sid?  time will tell if we hang onto him.  One thing I can say is that, stick either of those individually into our current team and they wouldn't look half as good.

And how good would he look coming up against the best in the world regularly? This, remember, is a player who barely a season ago was being unfavourably compared to Lee Hendrie.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #15820 on: August 06, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »
Tony Morley is my personal favourite ever Villa player from when I was a kid but the best ever for me were God and Sid.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2021
« Reply #15821 on: August 06, 2020, 12:58:13 PM »
Sid was a player who had it all in his locker.  He could pass with both feet with a range that others could only dream about.  He always looked as though he had all the time in the world when he was on the ball when in actual fact he didn't, almost languid if you like.  Looked about eight stone wringing wet but as hard as nails both physically and mentally.  Didn't score too many headers mind but he did score a few and never missed too many penalties.  It was my privilege to have seen him play so often.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #15822 on: August 06, 2020, 01:10:28 PM »

The comparison with Cowans is like comparing apples and pears.

Better than Morley in my opinion.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
« Reply #15823 on: August 06, 2020, 01:10:35 PM »
Cowans was just sublime. I never really got to see Little but from everything I've heard.... Shaw was magical... Merse was pretty good too.

Thise are the sorts of players Grealish should be looking to emulate. I think, with the talent he has, he can do it but he's not there yet. He's certainly the most talented player we've had for a long time though.

Merson was a very good player for us but talent wise I would have thought Grealish would be streets ahead of him. Merson couldn't run with the ball like Jack and commit defenders.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #15824 on: August 06, 2020, 01:13:34 PM »

Little is up there with my favourite all time Villa players.

But.... it's heresy to say it I know but he was a better manager than player.  As a forward he flattered to deceive.  Tin hat on.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal