collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread by shirley_villan
[Today at 01:03:23 AM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:38:27 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread by olaftab
[Today at 12:23:27 AM]

Re: Current Formation by Vill I An
[February 28, 2020, 11:37:26 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by amfy
[February 28, 2020, 11:36:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by aldridgeboy
[February 28, 2020, 11:31:11 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread by robbo1874
[February 28, 2020, 11:20:36 PM]

Re: Relegation Watch by PaulWinch again
[February 28, 2020, 11:16:30 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish  (Read 1191470 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 24.01.21
Re: Jack Grealish
« Reply #13335 on: February 14, 2020, 05:44:45 PM »
apparently they are going to be spending 160mill on Grealish and Maddison in the close season

which is rubbish because they will never get Maddison for 10mill

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #13336 on: February 14, 2020, 05:44:54 PM »
I know it shouldn't but I drives me insane. I would rather Jack go to the Blues for no fee than ever see him in a red filth shirt
This. I hate them more than anything else in the entire universe.

Yeah, similar really.  I'd grudgingly accept going to Liverpool or City, because they're worlds away from us at the moment.  But Man U?  Nothing club with a terrible manager at the moment.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 03.05.2019
« Reply #13337 on: February 14, 2020, 06:08:53 PM »
I know it shouldn't but I drives me insane. I would rather Jack go to the Blues for no fee than ever see him in a red filth shirt
This. I hate them more than anything else in the entire universe.

Yeah, similar really.  I'd grudgingly accept going to Liverpool or City, because they're worlds away from us at the moment.  But Man U?  Nothing club with a terrible manager at the moment.

Seconded or whatever, never that shower!

Offline ez

« Reply #13338 on: February 15, 2020, 02:28:48 PM »
In all fairness though, he's probably not far off. We signed a relegated Southgate who went under the radar with most clubs i think, he was a superb centre back right from day 1.
Otherwise Juninho and Ravanelli were pretty tasty, shame about the rest of their team. Can't think of many others, there have been some decent players but not many of that standard / Grealish standard.

Juninho was probably closest, he was virtually carrying them on his own that season much like Jack. He went for  £13m which was fairly massive at the time.

Yeah, still remains the biggest disappointment in terms of a near signing that we didn't get over the line. Doug had him at Villa park for talks in 1999 and didn't complete, i thought he was a tremendous player and an absolute joy to watch. Back then as well, players like that were more of a rarity in our league than they are now.

Agreed. Still at least we signed Steve Stone to make up for it, which must be just about the most Doug thing ever.

This is something that's going to have to change if Jack is to stay with us long term. It always annoyed me that a club like middlesborough could make that kind of signing and we didn't.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
« Reply #13339 on: February 15, 2020, 05:23:24 PM »
In all fairness though, he's probably not far off. We signed a relegated Southgate who went under the radar with most clubs i think, he was a superb centre back right from day 1.
Otherwise Juninho and Ravanelli were pretty tasty, shame about the rest of their team. Can't think of many others, there have been some decent players but not many of that standard / Grealish standard.

West Ham had a few in 2003. Joe Cole was in similar position to Jack around that time. Went to Chelsea and won multiple trophies and 56 caps for England (would've been more but he had a couple of bad injuries).

He only actually signed for Chelsea for 6m. 17 years ago but Chelsea had been taken over and were spending 18m on likes of Wayne Bridge so not sure why the fee was so low.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
« Reply #13340 on: February 15, 2020, 05:27:07 PM »

Juninho was probably closest, he was virtually carrying them on his own that season much like Jack. He went for  £13m which was fairly massive at the time.

Yeah, still remains the biggest disappointment in terms of a near signing that we didn't get over the line. Doug had him at Villa park for talks in 1999 and didn't complete, i thought he was a tremendous player and an absolute joy to watch. Back then as well, players like that were more of a rarity in our league than they are now.

He was never the same after he broke his leg just before 1998 world cup. Came back to Boro twice and showed that 19/97 form in flashes but never got up to that consistancy.

As much as it was disappointing we didn't sign him I actually think he won't have pushed us to the heights everyone assumed he would. Carbone was similar player and he did a decent job for us in 99/00.

Was actually more disappointed we couldn't get in Robbie Keane a few months later, now that was a missed opportunity for many reasons.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 11.07.2015
« Reply #13341 on: February 15, 2020, 07:29:36 PM »

West Ham had a few in 2003. Joe Cole was in similar position to Jack around that time. Went to Chelsea and won multiple trophies and 56 caps for England (would've been more but he had a couple of bad injuries).

He only actually signed for Chelsea for 6m. 17 years ago but Chelsea had been taken over and were spending 18m on likes of Wayne Bridge so not sure why the fee was so low.

The fee was low because Cole refused to sign a new contract after West Ham went down, and he was into his last year.  It was definitely below his market value as a result.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13342 on: February 15, 2020, 09:13:57 PM »

The fee was low because Cole refused to sign a new contract after West Ham went down, and he was into his last year.  It was definitely below his market value as a result.

Also, Joe Cole at his peak was nearly as good as Grealish's manky old playoff final boots.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #13343 on: February 15, 2020, 09:15:23 PM »

Also, Joe Cole at his peak was nearly as good as Grealish's manky old playoff final boots.

Lampard, one could argue, but at the time he left West Ham he was a Hourihane-level player, albeit younger.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #13344 on: February 16, 2020, 09:55:26 AM »
I can see him scoring today and if he does, he'll be linked with Tottingham by Tuesday morning.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : 21.01.2017
« Reply #13345 on: February 16, 2020, 10:02:40 AM »
I can see him scoring today and if he does, he'll be linked with Tottingham by Tuesday morning the post match analysis.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #13346 on: February 16, 2020, 10:23:18 AM »
The Express have Manure in a race to activate his £60m release clause that doesn’t exist.  Apparently.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #13347 on: February 16, 2020, 04:25:48 PM »
Said this a while back. Enjoy what we are watching because if things continue along this path he has 13 games left in a Villa kit.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #13348 on: February 16, 2020, 04:29:00 PM »
And we are left to watch shite like Wesley and Hause because when we needed a shot in the arm and some stability and protection in the side in the window we conjured up shit like Drinkwater out of our own arse.

Offline aev

• GM : 30.01.2021
« Reply #13349 on: February 16, 2020, 04:33:39 PM »
The Express have Manure in a race to activate his £60m release clause that doesn’t exist.  Apparently.

Serious question, if we get relegated how likely is it that we will be able to get his full value (whatever that is)?