collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish  (Read 1337893 times)

Offline anton hillman

Re: Jack Grealish
« Reply #12315 on: December 04, 2019, 12:49:39 AM »
About time Jack told Southgate where to go. If he won't pick him for England after Saturday's performance, when will he pick him? Maybe its time Jack picked up the phone and gave Mick McCarthy a call.

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #12316 on: December 04, 2019, 12:55:24 AM »
Itís all about ambition.
If you want to retain and attract top quality players then you have to have a plan to compete at the highest level.

Offline simboy

• GM : 26.08.2020
« Reply #12317 on: December 04, 2019, 08:20:45 AM »
He is 24 years of age, not yet hit his "prime". He has just signed a new contract. Potentially he is the best player we have had on the way up since, Platt or Sid, possibly even better. But, the reality is that he will develop over the next couple of years, as will the club and then, all being well, both he and the Villa will sit down and see where whats what.

If at that point we have matched his ambition and he the club's then he will sign an extension with a couple of years to go.

If not then the speculation can really begin.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #12318 on: December 04, 2019, 09:11:06 AM »
What would you do?

Leave your favourite team, who you play for every week or leave, citing ambition, to play fewer games for Man City?

Stay with the team you've supported all your life, as long as they show the same ambition and keep improving?

Money isn't and won't be an issue.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 21.01.2021
« Reply #12319 on: December 04, 2019, 09:22:16 AM »
Agreed. He won't be slithering off like Delph or Downing.

There are three possible routes for Grealish. Worst case scenario: we get relegated. He'll be off and we probably won't get nearly as much as he's worth.

Other possibility: he continues his development and, eventually, moves to one of the biggest clubs in the world. Much as we like to say "ah, he'd stay", the likes of Man United, Tottenham and Liverpool have proven unable to hold on to certain stars in recent years. Eventually there is, at least, the possibility he'd be off. But if he does so it'll be to go to an elite team as one of their star players, not to sit on the bench and count his money like that twat Delph.

Best case scenario: Villa continue their development,  spending to compete with the best clubs in the land and regularly contesting major honours. Grealish is able to fulfil his ambitions here and becomes an all-time club great.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:24:19 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Online Bren'd

• GM : 02.03.2021
« Reply #12320 on: December 04, 2019, 09:33:17 AM »
What would you do?

Leave your favourite team, who you play for every week or leave, citing ambition, to play fewer games for Man City?

Stay with the team you've supported all your life, as long as they show the same ambition and keep improving?

Money isn't and won't be an issue.

I'll add to that money isn't everything.  He will become a very wealthy man quickly at the club he loves.  Of course he could become wealthier at Man City/Man U etc.  He might win a bit more at the former but as a fan and having a boyhood dream to play for his club that would all be a bit hollow if he's a bit part player.

He has the makings to be one of the best home grown players in our lifetime, we just need to make sure we keep improving the squad to improve him.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #12321 on: December 04, 2019, 09:50:58 AM »
I'll add that someone like Gerrard stayed at Liverpool. Most of the Man Utd players who came through the ranks stayed (bar Beckham, but he's a different case entirely). Lampard and Terry stayed at Chelsea.

We've got a very special talent on our hands.

I'd not begrudge him a move if we failed to show ambition and weren't heading in the right direction but all the indications are that he can achieve what he wants in the game if he stays with us.

Look at Leicester. They won the league and are challenging again now, there's no reason that can't be us, we've shown the signs.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
« Reply #12322 on: December 04, 2019, 10:31:18 AM »
About time Jack told Southgate where to go. If he won't pick him for England after Saturday's performance, when will he pick him? Maybe its time Jack picked up the phone and gave Mick McCarthy a call.

Grealish should have been in the England squad since before the last World Cup. He carried us on his back to that playoff final v Fulham and was outstanding in it. With his talent, and technical ability to keep the ball, draw fouls etc, international tournament football would suit him.

It's a real pity, for Ireland and Jack himself, that he didn't stick with Ireland. The team, like at Villa, would have been built around him. He would have 20 caps easy at this stage. But that ship has sailed sadly.

For Villa, we need to invest in further quality to get more out of Grealish. Imagine how assists or goals he would get with a quality striker up front. He made a goal for Wes at Arsenal but I'm not expecting too many more. Better players behind him too, Luiz is likely to improve (once he adapts to the physical side) but likes of Lansbury as first sub on at Old Trafford aren't good enough.

Offline in exile

• GM : 25.06.2019
« Reply #12323 on: December 04, 2019, 11:06:05 AM »
Why, what did he do Saturday?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #12324 on: December 04, 2019, 11:11:18 AM »
It's not a real pity at all (for him at least).  He's only 24 and will probably have a long England career and with the best will in the world he is far more likley to achive some success with England than he would have had playing for Ireland.  It's just a matter of time.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #12325 on: December 04, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
Another thing to consider now is how finances in football since the last TV deal have made it so much harder for teams to cherry pick players. Clubs like Leicester can tell Man United to do one unless they come up with £80m for a centre back. Guardiola even said after our game with them that they couldn't afford Jack (they probably could but have to consider FFP implications).

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2021
« Reply #12326 on: December 04, 2019, 11:52:38 AM »

England don't have any games until the spring, so this is all moot until then

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #12327 on: December 04, 2019, 12:09:47 PM »
Another thing to consider now is how finances in football since the last TV deal have made it so much harder for teams to cherry pick players. Clubs like Leicester can tell Man United to do one unless they come up with £80m for a centre back. Guardiola even said after our game with them that they couldn't afford Jack (they probably could but have to consider FFP implications).

Totally agree with this.

One of the positives of the immense TV deals is improved power for the 'other 14'.

Remember us selling Milner for £26m? Or Barry? or Young? Back in the day, a team could rock up offering £20m and the money was too good to turn down. Now, unless a player hands in a transfer request, there's no need (and actually illogical, considering the consequences of relegation) to sell your best players.

I think we're in an immensely strong position with Jack. Thinking with a slightly evil head on - he's signed to us until 2023, and even if he wanted to leave, I don't think he would ever lose face and hand in a transfer request. I also think he's worth far too much to the club (both on and off the pitch) to sell, unless we receive something stupid (literally £150m, which I cant believe I'm actually typing).

Unless we get relegated, I think he's ours for the long-run.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #12328 on: December 04, 2019, 12:15:41 PM »
I'd think if we're not pushing top 4 in a couple of years then Champs League football may become an issue.  But no chance of losing him any time soon.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #12329 on: December 04, 2019, 12:26:30 PM »
Jack has no need to leave.  Hes playing regularly as captain of the club and all the signs are that the club are determined to keep improving and also gave the money to be able to do it.  As long as the club can match his ambitions, then hes got no need to be banging on the door asking for a move.

Leicester are a great example.  Have by and large kept their better players like Vardy because they matched their ambitions.  They're without doubt an even better side now than the one that won the league.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal