collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish  (Read 1302931 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: Jack Grealish
« Reply #14235 on: April 01, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »
When Villa sold Andy Gray, quite a few of us thought that would be the end of us as a competitive side.

We acquired Peter Withe and the rest is history.

Jack Grealish is not indispensible. If we are still able to get £60 to £70 million later in the year, if well spent, it could result in a much more competitive side than we currently have.

That is assuming that we still cannot access the owners funds and are still bound by FFP.
We also sold Young and replaced him with N'Zogbia, Benteke and replaced him with Gestede, Delph and replaced him with Vertout, Yorke and replaced him with Joachim.

Replacing Gray with Withe was an exception, not the rule.

We have to keep our best players.  No quality players are going to come to us - If available, they'd choose teams like Palace & West Ham ahead of us.

We signed Joachim 2 1/2 years before we sold Yorke, whose fee paid for Dublin & Merson. You could also say we sold McInally and bought the final touches of the 1989-90 team then sold Platt to rebuild for 1992-93.
Joachim was not in the side whilst Yorke was there so although we didn't purchase him, Joachim effectively replaced Yorke.

In your argument, it could be said that we replaced McInally with Cascarino.

Ultimately though, selling your best players is a backwards step which is why the top teams never do so.

We may well have attracted a Merson and a Dublin whilst flying high in the PL but I guarantee that we won't do it where we are currently and minus Jack, we'd be an even less attractive proposition.

I've given three examples. In two we did better, in the other we stayed roughly the same. As always, it's not who you sell, it's who you replace them with.

Dave - You are talking about different times.  Times where off the top of my head, in all the examples you give, we had just 1 foreign player - Kent Neilson.  Those days are gone, as (currently) are the days when AVFC is an attractive proposition to players.  We are sniffing around for the scraps that teams like West Ham & Palace don't want.

We sell Jack and the chances are, we'll replace him with 3 x Trez's.  We haven't got a Tony Barton out there snapping up talent that nobody else recognises.

Anyone can quote examples of when a team sold it's star/stars and then went on and did better.  Normally, this is a short term, quick fix and in the long run, it rarely sustains itself. 

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #14236 on: April 01, 2020, 03:08:08 PM »
I'm all for taking shots at Jack, but some of the absolute shithouses who've chimed in to take pot shots. Ian Wright, Harry Redknapp, Jamie O' Hara. All paragons of virtue of course. Anyone else want to give their two cents? Joey Barton? Adam Johnson? Ched Evans? Has Collymoore chimed in yet?

Wankers.

You missed out Piers Morgan - Another hypocrite of the highest degree.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
« Reply #14237 on: April 01, 2020, 03:08:10 PM »
I maintain my position on this fool. Blessed with natural ability but just another Gascoigne daft as a brush.

He is a brilliant player, there is no doubt about that. We would still be marooned in the second division without him. In terms of natural talent I don't think he has any peer in all time watching Villa. Yorke and Young were at times outstanding but they had much better players around them. Grealish has carried the team at times this season and produced performances of the highest quality after an admittedly slow start. Some of his goals have been outrageous.

This incident just appears to cast further doubt on his character and temperament though. Last two games in Wembley past him by for whatever reason. His failure to get an international call up to date couldn't be down to lack of ability either. Some of his antics after recent defeats just scream of a lack of maturity to be honest and this has continued off the pitch.

This incident could have been far worse for him and the club. Darron Gibson up at Sunderland a couple of years back for example

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #14238 on: April 01, 2020, 03:15:52 PM »
I maintain my position on this fool. Blessed with natural ability but just another Gascoigne daft as a brush.
I was wondering if Southgate will do to Jack what Glenda did to Gaza.
Whilst Gaza was already on the road, the omission from the England squad speeded up his decline.
I can see similar traits Southgate Hoddle -Gascoingne Grealish.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #14239 on: April 01, 2020, 03:54:40 PM »

He is a brilliant player, there is no doubt about that. We would still be marooned in the second division without him. In terms of natural talent I don't think he has any peer in all time watching Villa. Yorke and Young were at times outstanding but they had much better players around them. Grealish has carried the team at times this season and produced performances of the highest quality after an admittedly slow start. Some of his goals have been outrageous.

This incident just appears to cast further doubt on his character and temperament though. Last two games in Wembley past him by for whatever reason. His failure to get an international call up to date couldn't be down to lack of ability either. Some of his antics after recent defeats just scream of a lack of maturity to be honest and this has continued off the pitch.

This incident could have been far worse for him and the club. Darron Gibson up at Sunderland a couple of years back for example

I don't think he's out of the woods here by any stretch.  If there are as many CCTV cameras as we're led to believe, it's quite possible that they can get him for driving without due care & attention etc.  Depending on the circumstances of his departure, it won't look great that he's left the scene, knowing that a breath test was almost certain if he'd stayed.

Offline Ads

• GM : 02.04.2021
« Reply #14240 on: April 01, 2020, 03:56:24 PM »
The amount of plod who turn up to RTAs is minimal when there is no reporting of injury.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #14241 on: April 01, 2020, 04:00:54 PM »
So there's no actual evidence of him being drunk apart from forum jackanory stories by obsessed nose detectives? Has anyone actually accused him of being drunk behind the wheel? Say, someone who was there?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #14242 on: April 01, 2020, 04:03:02 PM »
One thing I do know - Dickens Heath must be more overcrowded than the Calcutta slums if the number of Noses with mates who live on that road is anything to go by.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
« Reply #14243 on: April 01, 2020, 04:10:18 PM »

I don't think he's out of the woods here by any stretch.  If there are as many CCTV cameras as we're led to believe, it's quite possible that they can get him for driving without due care & attention etc.  Depending on the circumstances of his departure, it won't look great that he's left the scene, knowing that a breath test was almost certain if he'd stayed.

You kidding? The only time I've ever had the plod involved is if they've driven past while I've been 'parked' in a golf club fence or in the side of a flat-bed truck.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #14244 on: April 01, 2020, 04:27:29 PM »
So there's no actual evidence of him being drunk apart from forum jackanory stories by obsessed nose detectives? Has anyone actually accused him of being drunk behind the wheel? Say, someone who was there?

Precisely.

All he is ‘guilty’ of at the moment is being out when he shouldn’t be.
Mason Mount anyone?

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #14245 on: April 01, 2020, 04:56:32 PM »
Using an example of a Premier League footballer who has been found guilty of breaching requested isolation guidelines to compare and contrast attitudes to a Premier League footballer who has been found guilty of breaching requested isolation guidelines is "whataboutery"? Care to explain?

Our bloke did something wrong so let's talk about another team's player that did something wrong (as if that makes what Jack did less of a problem).

'Whataboutery' in my book.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #14246 on: April 01, 2020, 05:00:54 PM »
Well that just renders all analysis redundant.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #14247 on: April 01, 2020, 05:08:26 PM »
Using an example of a Premier League footballer who has been found guilty of breaching requested isolation guidelines to compare and contrast attitudes to a Premier League footballer who has been found guilty of breaching requested isolation guidelines is "whataboutery"? Care to explain?

Our bloke did something wrong so let's talk about another team's player that did something wrong (as if that makes what Jack did less of a problem).

Is your book The Big Red Ball?

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 21.01.2021
« Reply #14248 on: April 01, 2020, 05:17:15 PM »

"Your book", presumably, is about a paragraph long and contains no depth, analysis or comparative arguments.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Our FB Page
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #14249 on: April 01, 2020, 05:18:07 PM »
A bit like the honours list of SHA?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal