collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish  (Read 1345361 times)

Offline Bren'd

• GM : 02.03.2021
Re: Jack Grealish
« Reply #12825 on: January 29, 2020, 10:23:22 AM »
I thought Maddison was okay and not much more. Reading the Leicester supporters views it seems Iím praising him too much. Heís a good player though even if his recent form has dropped.
In the first half in particular he was excellent and and the heart of everything they did well.  He tested Nyland a few times and had a few near misses too.  If that's just ok I'm glad he had an off game.

So he nearly did this and he nearly did that in the first half and actually did very little in the 2nd. Grealish brilliantly set up our first goal. Thatís what counts.
Oh FFS don't be so one eyed and ridiculous.  He did well for them and Grealish did well for us.  I've already said I prefer Grealish as a player but there's no point playing down Maddisons quality.

I'm not playing down his quality at all. I've stated he had an overall okay game.  You stated he was outstanding, he most certainly wasn't. He's a good player who has had a dip in form of late.

Online Smithy

• GM : 11.07.2015
« Reply #12826 on: January 29, 2020, 10:30:51 AM »
Maddison is a wonderful player, so is Grealish.  The fact that they're both in 'midfield' doesn't mean they're the same sort of player. They are capable of different things, probably the one player who can do a bit of what they both do is Kevin de Bruyne.  They could definitely play together.

The issue Grealish has with England is that he's SO different to what's there currently that it would be hard to get the best out of him without playing to his strengths, and is Southgate going to change the way England play to get Grealish involved more? I'd like to think so, but realisitically, Jack will get a chance and will be asked to play differently to how he plays for us. I just hope that when that chance comes he does enough to warrant inclusion in the Euro's squad, because with a player like him your side is always capable of creating something out of nothing.  Even from the bench, he could make a massive impact.

But for now, we should just revel in having such a talented player turning out for us every week.  He really is an absolutely pleasure to watch.

Offline danno

« Reply #12827 on: January 29, 2020, 10:39:28 AM »
With Kane and Rashford both out injured Southgate might actually be more open to changing things around.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 14.09.2017
« Reply #12828 on: January 29, 2020, 10:59:06 AM »
England should be building a team around him. He is literally that good now. He's put the work in, stuck with us, and we are now seeing and unbelievably gifted player, but more so the evidence of just how much grit and determination he's got. I started going at 7 in 89/90 properly every week. In that time we've had some brilliant players, but Jack stands above them all for just how good he actually is. Merson was phenomenal for 18 months but Jack is literally carrying us at times. And he's one of us. Amazing story. He lifts that trophy on the 1starch it will be movie level stuff.

I started going the year before and Grealish is becoming a very very good player and certainly up there but if you're talking about how good players are in their own position i still think it's slightly laughable that anyone would say he's better than McGrath. I also rate Platt higher without a shadow of doubt and Yorke and Southgate for me too. McGrath and Platt both won the PFA player of the year whilst playing for us. Bosnich was also a magnificent GK for us, i'd say Grealish is comparable to him in quality at his particular game. Merson, Milner, Laursen and Cowans were there or thereabouts as well off the top of my head.

Grealish can still get better, he is certainly the best we've had this decade and i don't think it takes a rocket scientist to say that he is going to be in the England team very soon.

Big Paul will always stand alone. Goes without saying.

Online AsTallAsLions

« Reply #12829 on: January 29, 2020, 11:05:10 AM »
England should be building a team around him. He is literally that good now. He's put the work in, stuck with us, and we are now seeing and unbelievably gifted player, but more so the evidence of just how much grit and determination he's got. I started going at 7 in 89/90 properly every week. In that time we've had some brilliant players, but Jack stands above them all for just how good he actually is. Merson was phenomenal for 18 months but Jack is literally carrying us at times. And he's one of us. Amazing story. He lifts that trophy on the 1starch it will be movie level stuff.

I started going the year before and Grealish is becoming a very very good player and certainly up there but if you're talking about how good players are in their own position i still think it's slightly laughable that anyone would say he's better than McGrath. I also rate Platt higher without a shadow of doubt and Yorke and Southgate for me too. McGrath and Platt both won the PFA player of the year whilst playing for us. Bosnich was also a magnificent GK for us, i'd say Grealish is comparable to him in quality at his particular game. Merson, Milner, Laursen and Cowans were there or thereabouts as well off the top of my head.

Grealish can still get better, he is certainly the best we've had this decade and i don't think it takes a rocket scientist to say that he is going to be in the England team very soon.

Big Paul will always stand alone. Goes without saying.

I was thinking about this last night and reflecting that it's hard for me to compare Villa legends to each other and say one is better than the other, however I agree with ozzjim that McGrath will always be McGrath and we rightly worship his immense quality as a footballer. He was on another level.

About Jack I think all you can say is that he's the best player we've had in a Villa shirt since Yorke. They're different types of players, so comparing them in a linear way makes little sense. We've obviously had some standout players in between - Laursen and Milner are two of my favourites - but Grealish has a natural ability the likes of which we haven't seen since Yorke, I would say. He's coming into his own now and the world can finally see the quality we've been talking about for a long time. He'll be a legend forever if he stays here. I desperately hope he does; if he leaves, I fear he'll just become someone else's legend (ala Yorke).

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #12830 on: January 29, 2020, 11:06:24 AM »
What i do like with Grealish though is that he is continually getting better. In fairness, he bloody well needed to from the performances he was churning out most of the time prior to that injury he had against Hull but from that player to the one he is now, a player that's around and about being in the top 10 players i've seen in over 30 years is something of a dramatic improvement. No way would he break my top 5 though yet, and there are many other top players we've had in that time and perhaps the other one i should have mentioned in line with the Milner's and Merson's etc would have been Gareth Barry who was superb once MON put him in the centre of midfield. I still think Grealish would be best in behind a number 9 and a bit further up the pitch than he usually is.

In fact, if Kane and Rashford are going to miss the euros, i'd love to see what Grealish in behind Vardy could do. Imagine the little fucker running onto some of those precision passes from Jack.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:12:51 AM by Clark W Griswold »

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #12831 on: January 29, 2020, 11:08:38 AM »
We can argue about the relative merits of all the different greats over the years, but I honestly don't think I've seen any of them who I enjoy watching as much as Jack.

Offline Bren'd

• GM : 02.03.2021
« Reply #12832 on: January 29, 2020, 11:14:43 AM »
I've been going to games a long time and I can't remember one of ours who has Grealish's ability to hold the ball comfortably with four players surrounding him. I suppose years ago you would never be allowed the time as such players were hacked down without an offence been given but even so he has a rare ability seldom seen.  He just looks so completely comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #12833 on: January 29, 2020, 11:20:30 AM »
Heís a player you pay your money to watch. Thereís always a sense of excitement in the crowd when he gets the ball.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #12834 on: January 29, 2020, 11:22:19 AM »
My favourite ever player. Long live the GOAT.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #12835 on: January 29, 2020, 11:24:16 AM »
Maybe Southgate has done exactly the right thing in not calling Grealish up yet.

He is getting better and better all the time, because he's playing against, and with, better players. If he'd been called up earlier, perhaps he wouldn't have developed and focused in the same way, who knows, but I'm glad he hasn't yet, because it's working well for us. I think he needs to go to the Euros though, as a fan of England and Villa.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #12836 on: January 29, 2020, 11:27:09 AM »
Yeah, gotta love him that's for sure and it's great to hear that fans get a lot of pleasure from him, as do i.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2021
« Reply #12837 on: January 29, 2020, 05:51:19 PM »
I'm not usually one for hyperbole regarding footballers and their abilities but, if Jack stays injury free and remains in the Premier League (with us hopefully) he will be fast approaching world class.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #12838 on: January 29, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »
I'm not usually one for hyperbole regarding footballers and their abilities but, if Jack stays injury free and remains in the Premier League (with us hopefully) he will be fast approaching world class.

I think he's there. I can't think of a midfielder I'd rather have. McGinn perhaps.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #12839 on: January 29, 2020, 06:15:25 PM »
I think the big thing with Jack is, while itís been obviously for a long time that he is very talented, the scale to which he has improved in the last 3/4 years is pretty impressive.

Imagine how good he is going to be if he continues on a similar trajectory over the next 3-4 years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal