collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish  (Read 1252048 times)

Online manic-road

Re: Jack Grealish
« Reply #12030 on: November 07, 2019, 05:36:02 PM »
The sooner Southgate gets the sack the better - How he ever got the job in the first place tells you just how far English football has fallen.

Regrettably, his sacking is likely to take place AFTER another complete embarrassment at a major tournament this summer.

I think he’s done well. Don’t agree with the Jack decision, but seems like a pretty harsh view of Southgate overall.

Done well by getting to a World Cup semi yes, but the draw we had in that last tournament couldn't have been kinder and he will be dining on that until he retires. Once he played two decent teams i.e. Belgium and Croatia he was made to look incompetent.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #12031 on: November 07, 2019, 05:38:15 PM »
I'm not the only one unimpressed.

Quote from: Pele
He'd walk into any Brazilian side, he's that good, Southgate he cray cray

Quote from: Zidane
He's the player I dreamt of becoming, any chance he has a French granny?

Quote from: Messi
He's better than I was at that age, he's the only player I'd pay to watch which is why I have a Claret membership. Wish my pack would arrive.

Quote from: Steve Bruce
I love me a pie

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12032 on: November 07, 2019, 06:07:12 PM »
Well let's hope come the next set of internationals it's impossible for even Southgate to leave him out.

Personally I'd make him captain, manager, honorary life president of the FA and let him drive the coach if he wants but not everyone is as well informed as me. And you lot obvs.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 24.01.2021
« Reply #12033 on: November 07, 2019, 06:16:53 PM »
Feck ‘em, it’s their loss. Hopefully he’ll spend the international break getting his fitness back.

Online Villafirst

« Reply #12034 on: November 07, 2019, 06:38:32 PM »
I can think back to Mortimer (0 caps) Gidman (1 cap) & Sir Brian (1 cap) constantly overlooked by England in the 1970's. A complete travesty.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 14.06.2019
« Reply #12035 on: November 07, 2019, 06:59:42 PM »
Feck ‘em, it’s their loss. Hopefully he’ll spend the international break getting his fitness back.

Exactly. What's the rush? I want him fit and firing for us, England can wait. It will happen soon enough and then we all know what happens after that.

Online Bad English

• Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 10.01.2021
« Reply #12036 on: November 07, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »
Quote from: Messi
He's better than I was at that age, he's the only player I'd pay to watch which is why I have a Claret membership. Wish my pack would arrive.
I laughed out loud and SWMBO wanted to know what was so funny.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 28.06.2019
« Reply #12037 on: November 07, 2019, 08:58:11 PM »
From BBC

On Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish's exclusion:

"Grealish is a very good player - I've watched him closely this season. He played very well against Brighton. The reality is he's up against Raheem Sterling, Marcus Rashford and Callum Hudson-Odoi.

"Jack is a very good player and very close. Any issues with the squad and I wouldn't hesitate to call him up."

You would have to question how closely Southgate was watching him. Comparing him to the three forwards above, deary me...

Surely a more apt comparison would be the likes of Mount and Maddison.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #12038 on: November 07, 2019, 09:04:10 PM »
Southgate was talking on SSN and because he plays in our front 3, that is where he is talking about him in his plans for England. I don't think it's necessary as most qualifiers we only need one defensive midfielder, so Grealish could play no. 8/ no. 10, but isn't going to happen from the sounds of it.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 29.07.2019
« Reply #12039 on: November 07, 2019, 09:14:24 PM »
I think it is good for Jack, it’ll keep him hungry for longer, encouraging him to keep evolving his game.

Online olaftab

• GM : 22.04.2020
« Reply #12040 on: November 07, 2019, 09:22:47 PM »
I don't like Gareth Southgate and I think he is not a very good coach.  All PR and no substance.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #12041 on: November 07, 2019, 09:53:19 PM »
From BBC

On Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish's exclusion:

"Grealish is a very good player - I've watched him closely this season. He played very well against Brighton. The reality is he's up against Raheem Sterling, Marcus Rashford and Callum Hudson-Odoi.

"Jack is a very good player and very close. Any issues with the squad and I wouldn't hesitate to call him up."

You would have to question how closely Southgate was watching him. Comparing him to the three forwards above, deary me...

Surely a more apt comparison would be the likes of Mount and Maddison.

Exactly, those two plus I'd say the likes of Barkley, Alli and Lingard would be Jack's competition for a place in the squad, not the strikers and wingers.   

Online Newby

• GM : 01.12.2020
« Reply #12042 on: November 07, 2019, 09:56:31 PM »
Rashford over Grealish?  Not for me. Hudson-Odoi maybe.  Grealish would be much better in the number 10 role, I'm disappointed that Southgate doesn't see that as Barkley is crap, Mount is ok but not ready for England.  Maddison is a classy player though.

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #12043 on: November 07, 2019, 09:57:15 PM »
I think Southgate is an over rated twat.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 15.08.2020
« Reply #12044 on: November 07, 2019, 10:20:44 PM »
Not sure what all the clamour is about. This keeps Grealish hungry and fresher for us. If he went off to England there’s  a chance that he’d get injured and fatigued with extra games and travel. Plus there’s a long tradition of Villa players getting their heads turned, see Barry, Young and for those of a certain vintage Steve Hodge.

England’s undoubted loss is the Villa’s gain.