collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: So who do you want as the next Villa manager?  (Read 44120 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: So who do you want as the next Villa manager?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 11:20:10 PM »
I was delighted when Gregory got binned last time. It's a no from me, i've had enough of shite, negative football to last me a lifetime.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
I'm really not that bothered if the next prospective manager loves Villa or speaks highly of us. I'd like him to know how to win far more football matches than he loses - anything else is just garnish.

That's not to say I'm hankering after Big Sam style stuff, but presumably there must be more than a few coaches who can win and play nice football.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:27:24 PM by curiousorange »

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2014, 11:25:24 PM »
Rejecting the options is ok but not if you don’t  put forward a name yourself......and everyone should get real no big name is coming to the villa as we stand.......were shopping at Morrison not Harrods. Maybe if we get sold and if there a big transfer budget we will end up with David Moyes

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2014, 11:27:48 PM »
We need a new owner. Then I'll worry about who the next manager should be.

Offline SO Villa

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2014, 11:29:13 PM »
I was delighted when Gregory got binned last time. It's a no from me, i've had enough of shite, negative football to last me a lifetime.
People have got short memories. Gregory's team served up some appalling dross with far better players than Lambert had to work with.

Offline Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 11:30:53 PM »
We need a new owner. Then I'll worry about who the next manager should be.

This.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2014, 11:31:25 PM »
Rejecting the options is ok but not if you don’t  put forward a name yourself......and everyone should get real no big name is coming to the villa as we stand.......were shopping at Morrison not Harrods. Maybe if we get sold and if there a big transfer budget we will end up with David Moyes

Isn't choosing a new manager right now the very epitome of a shot in the dark? If we are taken over, which looks likely, then Klinnsmann, De Boer and Benitez are all realistic targets. If we don't, then I'm sad to say the picture changes massively, and to be honest doesn't bear thinking about. BTW I don't want Moyes either way.

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2014, 11:33:26 PM »
"We need a new owner. Then I'll worry about who the next manager should be."

It could take years to sell the Club just look at Newcastle, Everton. Do you want to keep the same manager until then

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2014, 11:37:09 PM »
I think you'll find out this week that it really doesn't take years.

Offline supertom

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2014, 11:38:48 PM »
No Takeover- Moyes is the best we could hope for. I think with the usual 20 million summer budget, he could improve us and tack on at least another 10 points on top of what we've got this season.

With Takeover- We need to show ambition. I dunno how much validity the Klinsmann rumours will ultimately have but he would be a name that gets people talking. It's a gamble given that he's not had a great deal of club management experience (though one year at a huge club like Bayern counts for a lot). I think the key element with Klinsmann is that he could attract good players to the club. Players who under other circumstances might not give us the time of day. We could perhaps see a few promising young Germans plying their trade here.  I also think his attitude toward the youth set up would be good.

Other than that, I'm not sure on other potential names, but what I do know is, if we wave enough money in front of a quality manager, they will come. But we need a new owner, willing to invest a decent chunk on turning this club around. We could indeed spend less than Randy did in his outlays for O Neill. It's about spending wisely. We can be competitive and fit in with FFP if the club is run sensibly and astutely.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2014, 11:38:49 PM »
...the guy from Mainze that has been even better than Klopp was there.

Thomas Tuchel. Very impressive trainer - Mainz 05 qualified for the Europa League yesterday. Unfortunately they also announced that Tuchel's stepping down, having been refused his request to let him out of his contract, which still has a year to run. Speculation is rife, but it seems he's been wanting out for months. The club hasn't spoken about it for the sake of the football. On the one hand: fair play for Tuchel for carrying on with his job, in spite; on the other: who the hell gets a team into Europe and fucks off? He says he wants a year sabbatical so perhaps he's got personal reasons. Whatever they are, he doesn't seem the most stable of characters.

Mainz are my German team, so I'm excited about the "European dream" and frustrated at the same time... Tellingly, most Mainz fans I spoke to after the match have absolute faith in the club to get everything sorted quickly - a breath of fresh air, compared with Villa at the moment.

We played at "The Irish Rover" yesterday evening and it got quite messy...

Thomas Tuchel is our man. Unfortunately he will have other offers I suspect so may be gone before Lerner sells up.

Newcastle and West Ham will also be looking for new managers this summer

+1000 to no British or Irish manager

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2014, 11:39:07 PM »

Isn't choosing a new manager right now the very epitome of a shot in the dark? If we are taken over, which looks likely, then Klinnsmann, De Boer and Benitez are all realistic targets. If we don't, then I'm sad to say the picture changes massively, and to be honest doesn't bear thinking about. BTW I don't want Moyes either way.

You may be right but we Speculate on lots of stuff why not this? and anyway it something to do whilst we wait for the end of season DVD
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:41:19 PM by Londonvilla »

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2014, 11:46:26 PM »
People have got short memories. Gregory's team served up some appalling dross with far better players than Lambert had to work with.

Oh please! Gregory's Villa teams were infinitely better than the shite Lambert served up.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2014, 11:52:29 PM »
Christ I hope Newcastle and Westham do not fire their managers this summer. No way do I want those twats available.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2014, 11:54:35 PM »

Oh please! Gregory's Villa teams were infinitely better than the shite Lambert served up.

You are not wrong in what you say but the previous poster was also correct in saying that Gregory had far better players to work with.  Gregory should have done better than he did with the players he had.  He went the same way as MON did in that he spent large sums on average players or players past their best because we were not able to attract top players.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal