collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Re: Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL  (Read 2655041 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Anyone else heard this?
« Reply #540 on: April 17, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »
Can we get back to discussing our Club?
No more beers for me.....

Agreed. Nothing more boring than another tedious H&V 'punathon'.

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #541 on: April 17, 2014, 10:25:09 PM »
Larry Ellison the buyer with JPA as a coach latest on twatter!

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #542 on: April 17, 2014, 10:26:32 PM »
Larry Ellison the buyer with JPA as a coach latest on twatter!

That's the daftest one yet. Why not Warren Buffett? Or Lakshmi Mittal?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #543 on: April 17, 2014, 10:48:49 PM »
Interesting. Surely a Graun journalist wouldn't say something like "takeover rumours meant" based on some forum with about 15 members?

He must be referring to another firmer source than that?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/17/paul-lambert-aston-villa-takeover-rumours

Paul Lambert stands firm as Aston Villa takeover rumours mount

Paul Lambert accepts he will not survive a repeat of this season, with the Aston Villa manager fully aware that, irrespective of the support he retains in the boardroom at the end of another turbulent week, the club's increasingly disillusioned fans will have a significant say on his future.

While Lambert's position remains safe for now despite bring dragged into another relegation scrap on the back of four successive defeats, and the club's decision to suspend Ian Culverhouse, the assistant manager, and Gary Karsa, the head of football operations, pending an internal investigation, speculation continues to mount that Villa could be taken over this summer.

Inside, as well as outside of the club, tThere has been talk of Randy Lerner selling up, with sources indicating that a deal has been agreed in principle, with investors from America, subject to Villa surviving in the Premier League this season.

Villa, however, have insisted that there is no truth to the suggestions that any talks are taking place and insist that their stance has not changed from February, when Paul Faulkner, the chief executive, said that the club had not been put on the market and that Lerner is not actively looking to sell.

Advertisement

Either way, Lambert has a major battle on his hands to convince Villa supporters that he deserves to be in charge at the start of next season, after becoming embroiled in a relegation battle for a second successive campaign and presiding over some miserable performances, including 10 home league defeats.

"I don't want another season like this or last year," said the Villa manager, who on the advice of the club's legal team refused to comment on Culverhouse and Karsa. "Off the pitch, the finances are a lot healthier, that's progress in itself. But things haven't progressed the way I've wanted, I didn't come here for it to be like this."

Asked whether he was mindful of the consequences if Villa were to struggle again next season, Lambert replied: "Of course. I understand. I'm not naive. Modern-day football now, people win football matches and leave. But this club cannot have [another season like this one]. The fanbase is too big."

It was pointed out to Lambert that, although the Villa board continue to back him, the fans have an influential voice, as they proved two years ago, when they turned on Alex McLeish and made his position untenable. McLeish was sacked at the end of that season.

"Nobody wants to hear criticism, regardless of who you are, but you have to take it," Lambert said. "You're the manager of the football club, if results don't go your way, you expect to be shouted at or gestured at. The main thing is the players and the supporters. I understand what you are saying regarding [the fans' influence] but my own point of view is we're doing everything we can to try and turn the whole thing around. But the players will need the supporters as well to drive it over that line to go and win a game."

Offline Jimbo

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #545 on: April 17, 2014, 10:51:36 PM »
Can we get back to discussing our Club?
No more beers for me.....

Agreed. Nothing more boring than another tedious H&V 'punathon'.

Yes.

Maybe, some of the train spotters are happy clappers ?

It's clear there are deep problems at AVFC.

Let's laugh and joke about it all.

There are posters on this site who could tell it like they should.

They don't.

Train spotters ?

Keep spotting.

Online Monty

« Reply #546 on: April 17, 2014, 10:52:46 PM »
Well I fecking never.

I'd love to believe these, but I can't quite believe it myself. Lambert chatting about how he'll talk to Faulkner and Lerner about transfers in a few weeks doesn't indicate a takeover to me, and you'd think he'd be ITK about it.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #547 on: April 17, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »
So. It begins.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #548 on: April 17, 2014, 10:55:29 PM »
I'm starting to think there may be something happening.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #549 on: April 17, 2014, 10:59:10 PM »
As has been said, someone at the Telegraph appears to be party to inside information at the Villa.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #550 on: April 17, 2014, 10:59:11 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he was looking for some additional outside investment, but i'm not convinced he's looking to sell up 100%.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #551 on: April 17, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
Laugh at TBAR if you like but they said the takeover was American and dependent on Villa's Premier League survival this season. And Lerner has been acting like an owner looking to sell.  As for Lambert and all of the staff aside of the ownership, they would always act like it's BAU until specifically told otherwise.

Online Monty

« Reply #552 on: April 17, 2014, 11:03:33 PM »
I'm unconvinced. The articles are too similar to what Twitter says, which raises suspicion.

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #553 on: April 17, 2014, 11:04:55 PM »
Here's the telegraph article

Aston Villa set for £200m US takeover - if they stay up
American billionaires plan huge investment in players but talks put on hold until top-flight status is secure

Aston Villa are set for a £200 million takeover if they manage to stay in the Premier League.
It is understood an American consortium, fronted by two billionaires, wants to buy Villa but will withdraw from the deal if the team drop into the Championship.
Details of the consortium plotting to take control from American owner Randy Lerner are being kept private, with Villa's Premier League status on the line after four successive defeats. Survival in the top flight would guarantee Villa at least £40 million in television revenue and would mean the club remains attractive to sponsors.
Early indications suggest the consortium would be prepared to invest heavily in trying to significantly improve Villa's playing staff. It is unclear whether a takeover would affect the future of manager Paul Lambert.
Lambert has admitted Villa must change their policy of spending small fees on inexperienced youngsters and instead invest in strong players to avoid even more pain in the future
News of a possible takeover will excite Villa fans who have become frustrated with the current regime and successive relegation battles.
Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner insisted the club were not for sale in February, but sources claim an agency based in the United States has been talking to potential buyers.
Lerner made a rare intervention this week by declaring his support for Lambert after assistant manager Ian Culverhouse and head of football Gary Karsa were suspended.
That move has been seen in some quarters as a desperate attempt by Lerner to try to help Villa avoid relegation and ensure the club remain an attractive proposition to interested parties.
Lerner paid £62.6 million for Villa eight years ago and has spent another £250 million on players and facilities. He would ideally want his money back but a £200 million offer would most likely be too good to refuse.
Shahid Khan paid £190 million for Fulham last summer, but that reflected a premium because of the club's London location.
Villa's last accounts revealed the club lost £51.8 million in 2012-13 and that Lerner had waived £90.1 million of loans, converting them to equity.
Lerner initially invested huge sums to help former manager Martin O'Neill achieve top-six finishes, but he has since made big cutbacks. It is unclear whether Lerner has attended a Villa game this season, with the
52-year-old accused of being an absentee owner by the club's disgruntled fans.
The football acumen of Lerner and Faulkner has also been called into question following their managerial appointments and poor signings that cost the club a fortune.
After O'Neill, who Lerner inherited when he took control from Doug Ellis, Villa have failed to gain any success with Gérard Houllier, Alex McLeish or Lambert.
During last week's defeat at Crystal Palace, a section of fans called for Lambert to be sacked. Villa go into this weekend's fixtures just four points above the Premier League relegation zone. They entertain Southampton tomorrow and one more victory would probably be enough to secure safety.
After Southampton, Villa face Swansea, Hull, Manchester City and Tottenham, and Lerner will be nervously watching the club's results.
The departures of Culverhouse and Karsa are believed to have lifted the mood among the squad this week, together with the increased influence of Shay Given and Gordon Cowans.
Given is a particularly popular voice in the dressing room, despite falling out of favour as a player under Lambert.
Villa players complained of a lack of training and coaching under Culverhouse and the squad have been worked much harder ahead of the Southampton clash.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #554 on: April 17, 2014, 11:07:33 PM »
Well I fecking never.

I'd love to believe these, but I can't quite believe it myself. Lambert chatting about how he'll talk to Faulkner and Lerner about transfers in a few weeks doesn't indicate a takeover to me, and you'd think he'd be ITK about it.

It's possible but I'm not exactly jumping up and down with excitement.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal