collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:37:30 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:30:53 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 12:21:32 PM]

Diego Carlos by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:14:13 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:11:02 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by dalians umbrella
[Today at 11:49:23 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:19:21 AM]

Champions League Contention by Sdwbvf
[Today at 11:06:33 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:37:30 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:37:18 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:37:16 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:34:21 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:31:02 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill

Re: Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:30:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL  (Read 2654755 times)

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
Re: The Still Current Lack of an Imminent Takeover Thread WITH CHILDISH POLL
« Reply #11940 on: May 06, 2016, 01:29:51 PM »
I agree with your rationale VID but there appears to be a log jam.  I cannot see it being anything minor like seeing out the season or the effect on season ticket sales.  My hunch is that the highest bidder wants to bring in their own manager.  The under bidders with more of an eye for a bargain will go through with Hollis's choice of manager, at least in the short term.

Surely if there are 3 bidders who've all completed due dilligence (as suggested above) the most likely delay will be us deciding which we're going to make the approved bidder.

I'll take that claim with a pinch of salt as

1.) It's Howard Hodgson spouting to the media. Unless he's part of one the groups how would he know? And if he was part of one of the groups and gobbing of to the media I can't imagine his partners being too chuffed to see how much they're prepared to pay being thrown out for public consumption.

2.) Why would 3 groups go to the expense of due diligence? Isn't normal practice for a preferred bidder to be given a time restricted period of exclusivity to carry out due diligence, thus minimising the chance of wasted money.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #11941 on: May 06, 2016, 01:36:31 PM »
I agree with your rationale VID but there appears to be a log jam.  I cannot see it being anything minor like seeing out the season or the effect on season ticket sales.  My hunch is that the highest bidder wants to bring in their own manager.  The under bidders with more of an eye for a bargain will go through with Hollis's choice of manager, at least in the short term.

Surely if there are 3 bidders who've all completed due dilligence (as suggested above) the most likely delay will be us deciding which we're going to make the approved bidder.

1.) It's Howard Hodgson spouting to the media. Unless he's part of one the groups how would he know? And if he was part of one of the groups and gobbing of to the media I can't imagine his partners being too chuffed to see how much they're prepared to pay being thrown out for public consumption.

2.) Why would 3 groups go to the expense of due diligence? Isn't normal practice for a preferred bidder to be given a time restricted period of exclusivity to carry out due diligence, thus minimising the chance of wasted money.

(2) I think it is dependant on the situation, ie they can request a period of exclusivity be granted. I would imagine that with the need for a quick sale and the reduced asking price it is being dealt with "open book" with a cut off date for bids received to be reviewed and a buyer to be selected. To be fair though I probably know about as much as Howard Hodgeson...

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #11942 on: May 06, 2016, 01:39:48 PM »
Maybe all the bidders would actually look at Pearson and agree he is the right choice. Maybe, I know not many would agree, but Randy does care about the club and would want a manager in as soon as possible to help re-build while the sale is going through. The sale might collapse and then we're in shit creak without a manager for too long a period.

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #11943 on: May 06, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »
You usually need to make a firm bid to get exclusivity. If it's just expressing an interest, or an indicative offer, then why would you block off other suitors.

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #11944 on: May 06, 2016, 01:40:39 PM »

(2) I think it is dependant on the situation, ie they can request a period of exclusivity be granted. I would imagine that with the need for a quick sale and the reduced asking price it is being dealt with "open book" with a cut off date for bids received to be reviewed and a buyer to be selected. To be fair though I probably know about as much as Howard Hodgeson...

Even if it is been dealt with open book, that still doesn't explain why 3 groups would simultaneously go to due diligence and the expense that incurs without thinking that they've got pole position.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #11945 on: May 06, 2016, 01:41:14 PM »
Not sure that he knows more than anyone else, but Howard Hodgson was on WM earlier saying that there are three interested parties, all of who have passed the due diligence stage.  He said the price is around £100m, £25m of which is to pay off debts. 

Has this Hodgson fella ever been right about anything? He strikes me as the sort who is desperate to be seen to be in the loop or in the know but get the feeling a lot of it is just chinese whispers and guesswork.

He was right about Sherwood being a tremendous appointment though.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #11946 on: May 06, 2016, 01:56:02 PM »
Not sure that he knows more than anyone else, but Howard Hodgson was on WM earlier saying that there are three interested parties, all of who have passed the due diligence stage.  He said the price is around £100m, £25m of which is to pay off debts. 

Has this Hodgson fella ever been right about anything? He strikes me as the sort who is desperate to be seen to be in the loop or in the know but get the feeling a lot of it is just chinese whispers and guesswork.

He was right about Sherwood being a tremendous appointment though.

Indeed and as others have said why would 3 separate parties go through due diligence?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #11947 on: May 06, 2016, 01:57:58 PM »

What does "to pay off debts" mean in this situation, though? Whose debts?

If they're to pay off money the club owes, then they'd just pay 100m and pay off the debts with that.

£100m. Jesus.

How much of a really shit businessman do you have to be to buy a club for 65m, spend ten years watching it accrue ever higher television revenues, as interest in the game goes on growing, and at the end of it, it's only worth 35m more than it was before.

Fuck me, that's some awful "stewardship" (his word) there.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #11948 on: May 06, 2016, 02:19:16 PM »
Given that we are now a Chumps League club, I'm actually amazed at the figure of £!00m.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #11949 on: May 06, 2016, 02:19:20 PM »

What does "to pay off debts" mean in this situation, though? Whose debts?

If they're to pay off money the club owes, then they'd just pay 100m and pay off the debts with that.

£100m. Jesus.

How much of a really shit businessman do you have to be to buy a club for 65m, spend ten years watching it accrue ever higher television revenues, as interest in the game goes on growing, and at the end of it, it's only worth 35m more than it was before.

Fuck me, that's some awful "stewardship" (his word) there.

That's why I'm convinced we will be sold this summer. With a good managerial appointment and sensible player investment, you could have a £250 million pound club in a year.
It's still a big gamble.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #11950 on: May 06, 2016, 02:36:35 PM »

You misunderstand me, I think Hodgson is full of shit but I'm just pointing out that if there are 3 bidders who are showing real interest (but maybe not with completed due diligence) then they will all have different ideas and that will be the cause for any delays with a new manager or with replacing board members.  The other reason I could see for a delay is that a new owner and their chosen manager might want to wait until the season is over and then be announced so they aren't associated with it in any way.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #11951 on: May 06, 2016, 02:45:03 PM »
Surely nobody who is serious about buying the club is going to do anything without reading the latest Hodgson Report?

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #11952 on: May 06, 2016, 03:06:42 PM »
Surely nobody who is serious about buying the club is going to do anything without reading the latest Hodgson Report?

Pure jealousy. The looks, the yacht, fast cars and his Hollywood career. Shame on you Jameson.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #11953 on: May 06, 2016, 03:21:57 PM »
I'll get my 4 year old nephew to knock them up a new one in crayon. I'm sure it will be just as insightful.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #11954 on: May 06, 2016, 03:26:40 PM »

That seems the most plausible situation, Paul.
And, if there are three bidders it is perfectly possible that they will have some access to data from the club in order to make a sensible bid. Whether you'd use the term 'due diligence' in that situation is a matter of opinion.
If the bidders have all got to a point where thety can make a sensibile bid based on sufficient data, the next stage would be for the club to prefer one of them and start agreeing the terms of a sale; whcih could take a while yet.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:31:32 PM by Mister E »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal