collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Back off Andi!  (Read 18700 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Back off Andi!
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2014, 08:54:35 AM »
There was nothing basic about his second at all. His movemnet into the box, off the centre half and the weight of the finish was excellent.

Offline supertom

« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2014, 10:33:31 AM »
There was nothing basic about his second at all. His movemnet into the box, off the centre half and the weight of the finish was excellent.
It was classic CF play. It was also an indicator as to why he should play up through the middle and be finishing chances as opposed to having more of an onus on him to create chances.

Offline Fuse

• GM : 28.08.2015
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2014, 10:46:36 AM »
I thought he had a cheek to cup his ears to the fans given his form this year. Equally I do also think he is a striker who needs to play up front as part of a two. I;d like to see him and Benteke play togetehr next season with a play maker putting through balls for them both I think he could score a sack load as he is a naturla finisher.

Key is getting the players around him. He could save us a fortune on buying Hernandez who is obvioulsy a top player but will cost a fortune

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2014, 12:43:05 PM »
I think there's a massive overreaction to the ear cupping thing, some football fans really do have thin skin sometimes, perfectly ok to call the guy fat and a waste of space, etc but one reaction and he's a disgrace, get over it.

As for championship standard, I'm getting fed up of that comment, players don't come in boxes with what level they can play at and the individual performances in a single season aren't the key deciding factor in whether that player is good enough.  What we really need to do is stop focusing on individual failings and start looking at what is causing them from a team perspective.

For example, Weimann is playing a similar role to Sterling at Liverpool, largely a slightly free role on the right of a front 3, but able to go where he wants to influence play.  The difference is Sterling is doing that by looking to run in behind and find space around the box (which are Weimann's strengths as well) whereas Weimann is coming deeper to be more involved in the build up, generally because when he doesn't he gets accused of being lazy and disinterested.

We need to start getting the ball to players where they can be effective, their nominal starting position is largely irrelevant to that as formations are a defensive aspect first and foremost, Weimann's position means he should be looking, initially, to find space between the left back and central defender to pull one or the other out of their position and create space where they should be. From there he can then drift around with the 'goal' being that he's on the front or back post (depending on which side the ball is) when the ball gets into the box.  Unfortunately, because he's so deep at times, he's not occupying the fullback or centre back and isn't able to get into the box effectively.  That's not due to lack of effort, or being billy big bollocks, or anything else, it's because he feels the need to join in the midfield, we need to address that.  When things were going well at the end of 12/13 he was playing exactly the role I've described, with Benteke providing a focus and drifting left and Gabby starting wide left and drifting in.  That was largely down to Westwood and Delph being superb and Sylla complimenting that and doing the dog work between midfield and attack that Weimann is now trying to do.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2014, 01:05:19 PM »
He's a footballer and they live in a bubble so no surprise he does the ear-cupping - laughable really

As to him playing CF next season who will partner him until the Beast is back?
Kozak if fit may be the key...

Offline Witton Warrior

« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2014, 01:10:03 PM »
We need to start getting the ball to players where they can be effective, their nominal starting position is largely irrelevant to that as formations are a defensive aspect first and foremost, Weimann's position means he should be looking, initially, to find space between the left back and central defender to pull one or the other out of their position and create space where they should be. From there he can then drift around with the 'goal' being that he's on the front or back post (depending on which side the ball is) when the ball gets into the box.  Unfortunately, because he's so deep at times, he's not occupying the fullback or centre back and isn't able to get into the box effectively.  That's not due to lack of effort, or being billy big bollocks, or anything else, it's because he feels the need to join in the midfield, we need to address that.  When things were going well at the end of 12/13 he was playing exactly the role I've described, with Benteke providing a focus and drifting left and Gabby starting wide left and drifting in.  That was largely down to Westwood and Delph being superb and Sylla complimenting that and doing the dog work between midfield and attack that Weimann is now trying to do.

Very good points paul_e

We are woefully static and the odd times that Weimann (or anyone else) does move to cause problems it is effective - wasn't it his movement that drew the foul for the free kick chance for Bacuna aganinst Man City?

Play to a player's strengths - a novel concept down B6

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2014, 01:17:09 PM »

Very good points paul_e
Agreed, very well presented.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2014, 01:30:15 PM »
I'm sure I read that Benteke prefers to play slightly deeper than being the furthest forward focal point. That would presumably create room for Weimann to be the sharp end.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2014, 02:26:12 PM »
Assuming that there's no funds to bring in another starting striker, a "two up-front" combination of Kozak/Andi and then Tekkers/Andi would be OK.

Gabby could be an impact sub or, if he spent the summer practicing how to run with his head up / improve his crossing, play as a winger.

This formation would however require replacing one or both Delph / Westwood with someone of more strength and passing ability.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2014, 02:37:42 PM »
Everyone is assuming that the gesture is a dig at the fans. Everyone assumed that Vlaar's gesture last week was a dig at the fans. Ron came out and said he meant it as an agreement to the fans frustration. What will people say if Weimann comes out and states he meant is as he wanted to hear cheers from the fans?

Offline Witton Warrior

« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »
Everyone is assuming that the gesture is a dig at the fans. Everyone assumed that Vlaar's gesture last week was a dig at the fans. Ron came out and said he meant it as an agreement to the fans frustration. What will people say if Weimann comes out and states he meant is as he wanted to hear cheers from the fans?

Or maybe he just has some hearing loss, or he thought he heard someone he knew from his school days or maybe two wasps were coming at him from behind.... etc etc doubtless we will be told ;-)

Offline supertom

« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2014, 03:27:59 PM »
On the commentary for the game when I was watching it, one of the comms mentioned shortly before his first that Andi had stated to the press that he was aware that fans had been critical of him and wasn't too happy about it. Of course I don't actually recall any particular interview myself, so whether the commentator pulled it out of his arse I don't know.

I think he just had a moment of hot headed naivety to be honest. If he scores tomorrow I'd expect a more light hearted celebration.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »
I agree Paul, I think there's been a big overreaction. He's taken plenty of abuse, he probably shouldn't have reacted but I can understand why he did.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2014, 04:39:30 PM »
I'm sure I read that Benteke prefers to play slightly deeper than being the furthest forward focal point. That would presumably create room for Weimann to be the sharp end.
As I said a few pages back, Weimann scored a few crackers last season with his link-up play with Benteke. He is a natural and has been badly served by Lambert this season (as john e has said above). The team needs a couple of addtions in midfield and some better coaching: players like Weimann and Albie will be massively the better for it.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2014, 08:08:03 PM »
If we are getting all realistic, let's go the whole hog.

98% of all prem players are complete *****s wh0 have no concept of real life outside  their privileged orbit.

In recent years, how many of our players would you vouch for?

Taylor, Delph, Stan, Laurson, Melberg.    Running out of ideas now.

Interesting whose names were chanted on Saturday.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal