collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 03:49:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 03:49:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 03:49:16 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Chris Harte
[Today at 03:49:10 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Beard82
[Today at 03:48:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 03:48:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 03:48:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 03:48:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Joe Bennett  (Read 22289 times)

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
Re: Joe Bennett
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2014, 03:30:20 AM »
The Downing one was brilliant.  I liked 'if you were a footballer, what would your prefered position be?'.

I remember that one. I recall giggling at the office as I read it and getting funny looks.

Offline jeowje

« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2014, 04:33:16 AM »
Personally agree that it seems out of touch by the club. Always see things like this popping up on the newsnow feed. You know the sort of thing, we have just lost 3-1 at home to yet-another-somebody-else-we-should-be-spanking-at-home, you're seething and scanning the list of articles for anger, bile, grovelling apologies and even sackings, and you see that the official site is peddling some sort of 'Yacouba Sylla Talks to AVTV: My top ten cottage pie recipes' or whatever, and you just think grrrrrr f*ck off!

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2014, 06:24:06 AM »
The Club's Facebook page has been filled with abuse for a long time. I wonder why they bother.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »
Very naive to do such a thing after 3 straight wins. Not only that, to ask a player who has been largely derided since he joined. Bennett himself had an awful game on saturday too. The whole team performance was abject, and he was particularly at fault during the game, making unforced errors. If you're absolutely gonna have to do something this stupid and get a player to answer fans questions, you pick a senior player like Vlaar, our club captain, or a player who's popular.

Lets face it, this is the internet. You take to twitter and there's always gonna be a few wind up merchants and others just releasing pent up emotion behind the safety of their PC monitor.

The way this clubs going, maybe we should cover the whole of Villa Park in a fucking circus tent, and change Randy's official title to ringmaster.

I don't agree with the personal abuse of Bennett. It's not particularly nice. It's not his fault he's being played well above his level. He's not, and never will be a Premier League player. The club essentially threw him to the Lions. What else did they think would happen after 2 seasons of mediocrity (mediocre might even be a generous description), and 3 abject defeats on the spin? Bennett himself is also something of a poster child for Lamberts misfires in the transfer market.

I actually thought he started the game pretty well, but then made one poor pass which nearly cost a goal and you could just see the confidence evaporate from him. 

He did. One little mistake after starting well and the booing started. Never mind the good start, let's just boo the one bad touch and get on his back so he'll lose what little confidence he has.

I find Villa fans at Villa Park quite annoying. More annoying as each match goes by.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2014, 07:50:23 AM »
Very naive to do such a thing after 3 straight wins. Not only that, to ask a player who has been largely derided since he joined. Bennett himself had an awful game on saturday too. The whole team performance was abject, and he was particularly at fault during the game, making unforced errors. If you're absolutely gonna have to do something this stupid and get a player to answer fans questions, you pick a senior player like Vlaar, our club captain, or a player who's popular.

Lets face it, this is the internet. You take to twitter and there's always gonna be a few wind up merchants and others just releasing pent up emotion behind the safety of their PC monitor.

The way this clubs going, maybe we should cover the whole of Villa Park in a fucking circus tent, and change Randy's official title to ringmaster.

I don't agree with the personal abuse of Bennett. It's not particularly nice. It's not his fault he's being played well above his level. He's not, and never will be a Premier League player. The club essentially threw him to the Lions. What else did they think would happen after 2 seasons of mediocrity (mediocre might even be a generous description), and 3 abject defeats on the spin? Bennett himself is also something of a poster child for Lamberts misfires in the transfer market.

I actually thought he started the game pretty well, but then made one poor pass which nearly cost a goal and you could just see the confidence evaporate from him. 

He did. One little mistake after starting well and the booing started. Never mind the good start, let's just boo the one bad touch and get on his back so he'll lose what little confidence he has.

I find Villa fans at Villa Park quite annoying. More annoying as each match goes by.

What a dreadful generalisation.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2014, 07:51:04 AM »
It was a little bit stupid, coming from people (or person, as the case my be) who are social media professionals.
I suppose on the flip side, if said "social media professionals" aren't organising things like this then there's not really a lot of point in them being there.

If they are in-house then I'm guessing they're not just given a few weeks off whenever we turn to shit, if they are external and have been brought in to try and promote the club online then goodness only knows what they could have done that wasn't going to provoke this reaction.

But I'm sure that being paid and getting this reaction is better for them than not taking the job in the first place.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2014, 08:06:19 AM »
A better case of damned if they do you couldn't hope to find.

and exactly the same as if Paul Faulkner decided to give another interview. A percentage of ours and every clubs fans will always make complete wankers of themselves in the name of passion and support. They don't actually want an answer or any kind of considered dicussion they just want an opportunity to sling mud.

With all due respect, it is nothing like that at all. An interview is a one way thing.

For starters, there's nothing to say these were mostly Villa fans getting stuck in. Can you imagine a Small Heath player doing this and someone posting a link here? What do you think the reaction would be?

It's not about giving them stick for doing it, and giving them stick if they don't do this sort of thing, it's about failing to spot the glaring problem with things like this.

On a different note, i was thinking earlier, who remembers that time they stuck that twitter panel on the home page of the OS, which displayed every tweet with a certain hashtag? They forgot to think about censoring them, so there was brief chaos as people started tweeting anti McLeish stuff and seeing it on the home page. That was a cock up, too.

EDIT here's what happened when Liverpool did it with Downing:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-winger-stewart-downing-gets-1751490

I liked this one:

@arpan_manutd Do you know any footballer (except you) who is neither footed?

Bang on. As has been said before, there aren't many brain cells bouncing off each other in B6 at the moment.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2014, 08:33:07 AM »
Another stupid decision from the club. It's getting boring now.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »
Next week read Paul Lamberts 5 favourite home defeats by more than 2 goals.

Online supertom

« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2014, 10:41:16 AM »

If he can't handle it, he can't handle being a Premiership footballer.
Not that I'm a fan of just booing every mistake. Some will do that, a minority. However there are mistakes and there are absolute howlers. A simple 10 yard pass that you give straight to the opposition, who can then break on you at pace, is a howler. It didn't surprise me he got booed after that.
That his game fell apart after that is not the fans fault, it's Joe Bennett's fault. Just the same as we can't really take credit if we give him a raptuous round of applause for a tackle, and then 30 seconds later he spanks a 30 yarder in the top corner...well, okay, some of us might try and take some credit! ha ha.

Offline Pete

« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2014, 12:27:11 PM »
Just looked at the StevieG thread. There are some crackers on there:

#AskStevieG Ryan Gigg's wife divorced him & took half of everything. How do you feel about her having 6 more Premier League medals than you?

Manchester, Madrid or Milan...in which city do you hope to assault your next DJ? #AskStevieG

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »
That Ryan Giggs quip is very good!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »
I've only just read all the Joe Bennett stuff. It isn't particularly pleasant to read, however one did make me smile. "On average, how long does it take you to pick yourself up and go again?"

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »
I've only just read all the Joe Bennett stuff. It isn't particularly pleasant to read, however one did make me smile. "On average, how long does it take you to pick yourself up and go again?"

I really did LOL!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2014, 01:37:12 AM »
Joe Bennett Fives from his insightful interview for those too busy to put time into looking for the essence of the man:

Hair: "I just gel it back before games. What's with the obsession with my hair?"
First Album: 'Justified' by Justin Timberlake. "It's a great album, with loads of catchy tunes. He's got good moves too - he can dance a bit."
Best Player Played With: Brett Holman....nah, not really. Gaizka Mendieta
Favourite Actor: "I have two favourite actors - Leonardo Di Caprio and Denzel Washington. I only found out after the Oscars that Leonardo has never won one. I couldn't believe it - he's a top, top actor and has done some quality films."
Favourite Film: Inside Man

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal