collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:32:40 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 11:32:37 PM]

Robin Olsen by Risso
[Today at 11:29:40 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:28:58 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Clampy
[Today at 11:28:31 PM]

Champions League Contention by Smirker
[Today at 11:23:44 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Risso
[Today at 11:19:38 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:15:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Based on what youve seen in the Summer who would you keep who would showthe door  (Read 23460 times)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
What players are out of contract in the summer does anyone know?

Albrighton, Herd, Gardner, Delfouneso only?

Albrighton's recent form should see him get a few decent offers but at his age I dont see the point keeping him on.

The argument to keep Gardner on is unfortunately a weak one. The other two have no-one to blame but themselves.

Easy to say get rid of players but someone has to want to buy them.

Id say Lambert might well be getting of Matt Lowton this summer.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Apparently Lowton and Lambert have had "clear the air" talks, and lowton is happy about them:

http://www.clubcall.com/aston-villa/villa-defender-keen-to-stay-after-boss-talks-1715948.html?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
clubcall? I'm not clicking that link, they will charge me 50p a minute to tell me absolutely nothing. I fell for that scam in the 90s.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
clubcall? I'm not clicking that link, they will charge me 50p a minute to tell me absolutely nothing. I fell for that scam in the 90s.

0898 12 11 48 ( I think was the number, although that may have been erm, something else).

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Get rid of everyone who played the first 20 mins of the Norwich game and keep everyone who played the next 20.

Offline adrenachrome

Get rid of everyone who played the first 20 mins of the Norwich game and keep everyone who played the next 20.

I like it. It shows you are thinking (out of your box). Extrapolate, exterminate, regenerate.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
I see it as 3 categories, which are the players that we should be building a side or squad around, those that have shown promise/potential and finally those that probably aren't up to it:-

Build Around
Guzan, Vlaar, Bertrand, Delph, Benteke, Gabby, Kozak

Promise/Potential
Steer, Okore, Clark, Baker, Lowton, Bacuna, Westwood, Weimann, Helenius, Albrighton

Not good enough
Bennett, Luna, Sylla, Kea, Tonev

That obviously excludes the bomb squad and Holt.

I want to see quality over quantity this summer, so that may mean keeping some of category 3, so as to avoid needing large numbers coming in for the third summer in a row.  The idea being that take the 7 in category 1 and make it 10 or 11 by the end of the 14/15 season.     

Online rougegorge

I see it as 3 categories, which are the players that we should be building a side or squad around, those that have shown promise/potential and finally those that probably aren't up to it:-

Build Around

Promise/Potential
Steer, Okore, Clark, Baker, Lowton, Bacuna, Westwood, Weimann, Helenius, Albrighton

Not good enough

I want to see quality over quantity this summer, so that may mean keeping some of category 3, so as to avoid needing large numbers coming in for the third summer in a row.  The idea being that take the 7 in category 1 and make it 10 or 11 by the end of the 14/15 season.     

I'd  largely agree with this, especially about getting quality over quantity. Bertrand is certainly the best left back we've played this season, but then I am not sure yet if he's as good as a lot of people think.

Not convinced yet by Helenius but we haven't seen enough, similarly Steer (just 3 cup matches) and Okore.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally

Build Around

Promise/Potential

Not good enough

Good shout, I agree we should be looking to improve the team.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
How many games has Clark played for the first team?  Can we continue to say that he has promise if he has played so many games?  He needs to push and and become a proper player, quickly.  Ditto Wiemann.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
How many games has Clark played for the first team?  Can we continue to say that he has promise if he has played so many games?  He needs to push and and become a proper player, quickly.  Ditto Wiemann.

Definitely for Clark. He's looked good in a number of the those games he's played so should not be jettisoned yet. Besides centre backs usually improve with age.

Furthermore I'd value him between £4-6m. At that price a player is always likely to have a flaw in his game or be considered potential. Therefore we'd have to pay a fair chunk more to improve the team and I think that money should be prioritised elsewhere.

Online tomd2103

Build Around

Promise/Potential

Not good enough

Agree.  I think many of those listed in category 2 would be OK as squad players, but as the last couple of seasons have shown, cthey can't be relied on to perform week in week out.  I read a story in a paper today saying that we are looking to make the Bertrand deal permanent in the summer, which would be a good start.  Add a similar level right-back, an attacking midfielder and a creative wide player who could also tuck inside and we would be in decent shape.  Oh, yeah and re-signing Gareth Barry!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal