collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation?  (Read 229752 times)

Offline villa `cross the mersey

Re: Relegation?
« Reply #1020 on: April 20, 2014, 10:27:52 PM »
We will get them in singles, McLeish stylee.
Or like Sir Geoffrey Boycott.
Or maybe we'll get nothin and go all Chris Tavare
Or Brian Lara, and win all our last games 6-0 :)

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1021 on: April 20, 2014, 10:32:28 PM »
I'd like to vote for the Brian Lara ending to the season, please.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #1022 on: April 20, 2014, 10:36:42 PM »
Fulham was probably our biggest fuck up regarding safety from relegation this season.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1023 on: April 20, 2014, 10:39:56 PM »
Just hope we stay up so we can get bought out.

This is all I'm hoping for too.  If not, we'll be right back here this time next season and I fear it'll be one relegation battle too far for us.

Myself and Mrs OzVIlla are currently in Texas visiting family. Driving between Austin and Houston earlier we went through some small town with the motto "Proud past, Stronger future". It just made me go cold at the thought of those numpties that own and run the Club and the mess we are now in.

The quicker we secure our PL future, Lerner sells up and we get some fucking ambition back around the place the better.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1024 on: April 20, 2014, 10:41:41 PM »
Just hope we stay up so we can get bought out.

This is all I'm hoping for too.  If not, we'll be right back here this time next season and I fear it'll be one relegation battle too far for us.

Myself and Mrs OzVIlla are currently in Texas visiting family. Driving between Austin and Houston earlier we went through some small town with the motto "Proud past, Stronger future". It just made me go cold at the thought of those numpties that own and run the Club and the mess we are now in.

The quicker we secure our PL future, Lerner sells up and we get some fucking ambition back around the place the better.

Assuming the person buying isn't a Sascha Gaydamek or someone of that ilk. That would be a lot lot worse.

Offline mr woo

« Reply #1025 on: April 20, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »
Fulham was probably our biggest fuck up regarding safety from relegation this season.

Agreed, a draw was all we needed. And we never looked like getting it.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #1026 on: April 20, 2014, 10:48:56 PM »
All this talk of take over...remember...be careful what you wish for..!

Offline OzVilla

« Reply #1027 on: April 20, 2014, 10:52:14 PM »

True to an extent but I think the risk is worth it.

After all can any of us see anything other than perpetual relegation battles under the current board and management?

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #1028 on: April 20, 2014, 10:52:28 PM »

Agree.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1029 on: April 20, 2014, 10:53:15 PM »

After all can any of us see anything other than perpetual relegation battles under the current board and management?

That's true, but I believe Lerner basically wanted the best for Villa he just messed it up. We don't want someone just trying to make quick money out of us or something.

Offline mike

« Reply #1030 on: April 20, 2014, 10:55:26 PM »
I'm a massive pessimist, but even I think the chance of either 1) two of the bottom three getting two wins out of three or 2) one of them getting two wins and Norwich getting a win and a draw is very, very unlikely.

However, as we all know, this thread should not be in existence and I should not have had to do those calculations to make myself feel better.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #1031 on: April 20, 2014, 10:55:52 PM »

That's true, but I believe Lerner basically wanted the best for Villa he just messed it up. We don't want someone just trying to make quick money out of us or something.

Yes he did and he did. And we don't.

Offline OzVilla

« Reply #1032 on: April 20, 2014, 10:59:48 PM »

I agree, I'm not aving a go at Lerner personally. His heart was in the right place I've no doubt.

We just made poor decisions at crucial times and we snookered ourselves as a footballing contender for honours. 

One thing we've learned is that future owners must have footballing nous on the board if they lack that experience.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:01:47 PM by OzVilla »

Offline dl9

• It all began vs Eintracht Frankfurt......
« Reply #1033 on: April 20, 2014, 11:03:07 PM »
Whilst we are all desperate to stay up and see a change of manager and/or ownership, we need to realise just how much we need to do to be any better than the also rans that reside in the placings @ us for next season.

How many of our players would command a place in any of the top 10 sides, 3,4,5 tops?

One of those obv being Benteke who we can rule out until back end of the year (before he'll be firing on all cylinders).

What I'm trying to say here is that even at best, new owners, new mgr, new mindset etc etc, this is going to be a slow burn to build a premiership team from a current squad where many are at championship level.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #1034 on: April 20, 2014, 11:06:41 PM »
I'm still extremely wary of a takeover even after all this terrible football. There have been too many Yeungs, Tans and Gaydamaks to feel entirely comfortable. And Lerner's nous when it comes to staffing doesn't fill me with confidence either that he won't be taken for a ride.

I'm a natural pessimist, so I know there's a better chance of getting a stable owner should Lerner leave than not, but I have this sense of foreboding that we won't get that 'second time lucky' takeover that Liverpool and City have benefitted from.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:08:24 PM by curiousorange »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal