collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Risso
[Today at 11:17:35 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Paul.S
[Today at 11:16:49 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:15:22 PM]

Diego Carlos by Risso
[Today at 11:15:08 PM]

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 11:13:26 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:10:50 PM]

Ollie Watkins by VillaTim
[Today at 11:09:30 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:00:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Paul Lambert thread - poll reset after our capitulation to Hull  (Read 1631462 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: The Paul Lambert thread (New Contract Signed Until 2018)
« Reply #7020 on: October 23, 2014, 12:19:49 PM »
The goal scoring is crap, but when banging on about how many the rest of the 4 divisions have scored, how many of them have played 8 games with 5 of them against the best 5 sides in the country last season?

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #7021 on: October 23, 2014, 12:22:45 PM »
The goal scoring is crap, but when banging on about how many the rest of the 4 divisions have scored, how many of them have played 8 games with 5 of them against the best 5 sides in the country last season?

The scoring was crap against the other teams, too, though. Not a shot on target at home to Newcastle, for example.

It's also not just that they've all scored more than us, it is that with one exception they've all scored at least *double* the number we have.

It is also a problem we had last season which seems to have survived into this season, too.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #7022 on: October 23, 2014, 12:27:05 PM »
Well considering those in the bottom 3 divisions have played 4 to 6 more games than us, and are playing the likes of Colchester & Altrincham and not Chavski & Arsenal that stat is pretty pointless.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7023 on: October 23, 2014, 12:32:57 PM »

The scoring was crap against the other teams, too, though. Not a shot on target at home to Newcastle, for example.

It's also not just that they've all scored more than us, it is that with one exception they've all scored at least *double* the number we have.

It is also a problem we had last season which seems to have survived into this season, too.

This is it, the goal's scored wouldn't be so much of an issue if we had created hundreds of chances, because sooner or later we'd start taking those chances. It's the fact we're creating absolutely nothing that's the problem and needs to change. You could put Messi and Ronaldo in our side, but if the tactical approach didn't change there would be very little they could do.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #7024 on: October 23, 2014, 12:57:24 PM »
Well considering those in the bottom 3 divisions have played 4 to 6 more games than us, and are playing the likes of Colchester & Altrincham and not Chavski & Arsenal that stat is pretty pointless.

It's pretty horrific if you only concentrate on the Premier League, to be honest.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #7025 on: October 23, 2014, 01:01:27 PM »

It's pretty horrific if you only concentrate on the Premier League, to be honest.

It's still not really comparable though as no one else has played the top 5 from last season. Saints & West Ham for example have played one of them so far. Sunderland none of them.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #7026 on: October 23, 2014, 01:07:30 PM »

It's still not really comparable though as no one else has played the top 5 from last season. Saints & West Ham for example have played one of them so far. Sunderland none of them.

No, we've had some tough matches, but even if you ignore those "difficult" games, the statistics are poor. We struggle to get shots on target, and to score goals, a problem we seem to have against most teams.

I wouldn't necessarily have expected to win any of the last four difficult games, but I'd have thought maybe we'd have managed to have scored in one of them? Or do we just totally write them off as they're against decent teams?

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7027 on: October 23, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »

Altrincham aren't and never have been in the league. Ask the Blues.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #7028 on: October 23, 2014, 01:17:08 PM »
Well if you ignore the "difficult" matches it's 3 goals in 3 and 7 points. The goals for isn't great but not the end of the world either as it's such a small sample.
And no we don't write them off in advance, but it's hardly a shock when a side much better than another side stops them from scoring. I'm disappointed we didn't score and create more, but given the games we've had, in my opinion it's too early to start comparing us with the rest of the leagues who have played more games, and in the PL no one has had as tough a start as us.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7029 on: October 23, 2014, 01:18:16 PM »

So crap it rewarded 7 points from 9 available.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #7030 on: October 23, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »

Ha, I meant Accrington. I'm such a doofus. Although it is always amusing to mention Altrincham.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7031 on: October 23, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »

Ha, I meant Accrington. I'm such a doofus. Although it is always amusing to mention Altrincham.

Kidderminster have been in the league of course but not in the 1990s.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #7032 on: October 23, 2014, 03:17:51 PM »

So crap it rewarded 7 points from 9 available.

Yes but that was largely built on very good defensive displays. No one is arguing that the points haul from those games was good, but it's a pretty small sample of games. I'd imagine that a team who creates 2 or less shots on target a game over the course of a season is going to struggle. Not only that they're not going to be very exciting to watch either which is pretty important.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7033 on: October 23, 2014, 03:43:41 PM »
I think any meaningful judgement is pointless given the teams we have played and with our centre forward and his understudy unavailable. If those kind of statistics are replicated over the next half dozen games then it will be time to worry.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #7034 on: October 23, 2014, 03:57:04 PM »
I think any meaningful judgement is pointless given the teams we have played and with our centre forward and his understudy unavailable. If those kind of statistics are replicated over the next half dozen games then it will be time to worry.

I'm not sure it can be dismissed because our centre forward is out. I agree it probably has an impact, but I'd expect it to impact our conversion rate of chances more than creating chances themselves. Obviously a few are created individually by the centre forward so you'd expect a slight drop. However literally creating less than two shots on goal on a regular basis is symptomatic of a bigger problem across the team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal