collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Liverpool v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 76933 times)

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
Re: Liverpool v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »
Stan's happy, i'm happy.....Ron Vlaar outstanding, Delph played very well and Benteke becoming the beast once more. Shame we lost Gabby...didn't look serious though.

Must admit started biting my nails when Luna came on.......Bertrand gonna be a class act, hope he will want to stay!

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 07:30:04 PM »
Much better performance. He should of brought on Albrighton instead of Holt apart from that a very decent unexpected point.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »
Come on lads, Guzan should have been more cautious considering Suarez' reputation. I don't think we were robbed exactly. A draw was a fair result.

UTV.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 07:30:44 PM »
Benteke is looking like Benteke again. Such a relief. Ryan Bertrand brings so much more stability to LB position.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 07:30:51 PM »
Also, an encouraging display from Holt.

I was impressed with him, a bit of nous about him.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »
Well that was a turn up, best display since the first week of the season, and if we can carry on in that vein we won't be anywhere near trouble.  There was evidence of having done some coaching on the training pitch, we looked confident and everyone played well even KEA and Westwood.   Reverted to hoofing a little after Gabby went off but still could have nicked it.  Holt did okay, had some nice touches and flicks, Bertrand was excellent and Vlaar outstanding.  Gabby is using his strengths really well and improving as a player, the top sides seem to hate playing against him.  I think we deserved to win, and if it hadn't been for a ref who is the only person on the planet who doesn't know that Suarez is a diving cheating c**t,  and Gabby's injury, I think we would have.

Offline supertom

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
Performance of the season probably for me. Suarez spent the whole game moaning, cheating and trying to con the ref, succeeding for their winner sadly. Thankfully the ref didn't send off Guzan.

Thought we played superbly first half. We lost a bit of attacking edge without Gabby, but we still looked a threat on the break. Benteke was back to his best. Weimann played well. Holt didn't do too badly when he came on.

Delph was superb. Vlaar too. Bertrand had a solid debut. KEA had his best game in a Villa shirt and Westy looked back to his best again.

Play like that every week and we'll be more than okay. We also showed we're capable of playing football. It makes a difference injecting a bit of attacking intent and some movement into our play.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 07:31:26 PM »
Excellent performance, very unlucky to draw this thanks to the league's biggest cheat, but perhaps this is a sign we've turned a corner and we can press on from here. Up to 10th.

Online mrastonvilla

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 07:31:37 PM »
Should have been all over before half time. Looking forward to taking on the saggy baggies!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 07:32:58 PM »
Great performance we played really well I'm happy with a point unlucky Gabby had to go off he terrorised them in the first half Vlaar was a rock in defence we passed the ball better just hope we can play like that every game.

Offline supertom

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 07:33:03 PM »
We showed today that we look a much better side when we don't just sit back and let the opposition have 70% of the ball. We used it pretty well at times to day and just had a lot more intent and movement.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 07:33:06 PM »
Come on lads, Guzan should have been more cautious considering Suarez' reputation. I don't think we were robbed exactly. A draw was a fair result.

UTV.
He dived, he cheated, that's not Guzans fault...

Online Karlos96

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2014, 07:33:45 PM »
Thought we played really well and we should have won.  Lambert that is how we want to play each week none of that long ball shit anymore.

I despise the bin dippers I hate them more than any club so it's nice to put an end to any thoughts they had of winning the title :-)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:36:03 PM by Karlos96 »

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2014, 07:34:09 PM »

UTV.
He dived, he cheated, that's not Guzans fault...

Agreed. If he hadn't come for the ball and the buck-toothed twat had scored he'd be criticised for it.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2014, 07:34:16 PM »
Terrific first 45 minutes, best in ages.  Then after the pen we more than held our own.  We were aggressive, energetic, attacking and scored two really excellent goals.  When you compare that to our home performances it's a real head scratcher.

The pen was a shame because although Brad never touched him the replay from the ref's angle did make it look like a pen.  Ah well, these things happen.  Prefer to focus on how good we were.  We look at our best when we play with pace and width so it was good to see Bertrand do well at full back and Gabby was excellent in the first half.

I'm not sure Holt and Benteke together is the way to go and whoever said in the match thread that it's Gabby we need cover for was spot on: after he went off we didn't look as good.  In retrospect Albrighton might have been a better option than Holt but I can see why Lambert was keen to give him some game time.  Holt didn't do anything wrong mind, and in fact he played a part in a very well worked free kick by us that could easily have fallen to someone in the box.

Very encouraging stuff but I'm at a total loss to explain the disparity between our attitude in away games with the insipid stuff we play at home.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal