collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

June 15, 2021, 06:18:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 273 | Comments: 0

It is not unknown for us to le...
June 07, 2021, 11:24:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 577 | Comments: 3

The money had almost run out b...
May 13, 2021, 11:54:37 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1233 | Comments: 10

Itís forever been a myst...
May 11, 2021, 12:03:49 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1034 | Comments: 4

I was not at all surprised whe...
April 20, 2021, 07:06:50 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1348 | Comments: 5

It is 19th April 2021 and I fe...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The All-New Patronise The Plucky Little Neighbours Thread.  (Read 404910 times)

Offline somec

• GM : 01.08.2020
Re: The All-New Patronise The Plucky Little Neighbours Thread.
« Reply #3045 on: May 13, 2021, 11:53:46 AM »
Blackburn have 3 league titles, 6 FA Cups and a League Cup.

West Ham's totals are 0, 3 and 0. Though they do have a Cup Winners Cup.

I'd say Blackburn win that by miles.

Yeah but West ham won the World Cup innit ;)

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3046 on: May 13, 2021, 02:26:03 PM »

I am taking size of support. Blackburn's support is drawn from a relatively small town. West Ham draw their support from East London and Essex.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3047 on: May 13, 2021, 02:37:38 PM »

I am taking size of support. Blackburn's support is drawn from a relatively small town. West Ham draw their support from East London and Essex.

I regularly have this argument with my brother, a West Ham fan (long story). It has to be a balance of both, of course, but you can't be calling a club whose highest ever (EVER) league position is 3rd (once) a 'big club'.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 21.03.2022
« Reply #3048 on: May 13, 2021, 02:56:50 PM »

I regularly have this argument with my brother, a West Ham fan (long story). It has to be a balance of both, of course, but you can't be calling a club whose highest ever (EVER) league position is 3rd (once) a 'big club'.

Nor can you call a club who are, at best, a distant fourth biggest in their own town a 'big club'.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 03:29:42 PM by Ad@m »

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 27.01.2022
« Reply #3049 on: May 13, 2021, 03:23:38 PM »
"Biggest support" means Newcastle are bigger than us. Hard no to that idea. Some clubs just benefit from having a large catchment area.

If you want to discover how big a club are, just count the trophies. If you're doing this for West Ham, you won't even get onto your second hand.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #3050 on: May 13, 2021, 03:33:13 PM »
"Biggest support" means Newcastle are bigger than us. Hard no to that idea. Some clubs just benefit from having a large catchment area.

If you want to discover how big a club are, just count the trophies. If you're doing this for West Ham, you won't even get onto your second hand.

I've said it before but the catchment area bit doesn't wash.  Newcastle get a ridiculous average attendance given the relatively few people who live up there, but it's because supporting the "Toon" is borderline religious up there.

The West Midlands (from Warwick up to Wolves) has millions of people and only two Premier League teams, so we've got just as much ability to pull the crowds in as Newcastle.  The reality is that people just have more varied interests and are less obsessive about football.

But that's only one factor in relation to the size of a club - like you say, trophies is a much more important factor.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #3051 on: May 13, 2021, 03:44:53 PM »

I've said it before but the catchment area bit doesn't wash.  Newcastle get a ridiculous average attendance given the relatively few people who live up there, but it's because supporting the "Toon" is borderline religious up there.

The West Midlands (from Warwick up to Wolves) has millions of people and only two Premier League teams, so we've got just as much ability to pull the crowds in as Newcastle.  The reality is that people just have more varied interests and are less obsessive about football.

But that's only one factor in relation to the size of a club - like you say, trophies is a much more important factor.
Newcastle has a large conurbation population of 880000 and a city population of 300000. On that basis, as a sole club, there support isnít that remarkable. We are in competition with 3 other clubs who, despite being regularly shite, have got reasonable fan bases.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3052 on: May 13, 2021, 04:12:25 PM »
We've said it many times, but look at how much competition Newcastle have within a hundred miles.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3053 on: May 13, 2021, 04:30:12 PM »
We've said it many times, but look at how much competition Newcastle have within a hundred miles.

Unrelated to your point Dave, but it's only struck me looking at old photos of late that the ground was a right poxy hovel until the modern redevelopments.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #3054 on: May 13, 2021, 04:53:41 PM »

Newcastle has a large conurbation population of 880000 and a city population of 300000. On that basis, as a sole club, there support isnít that remarkable. We are in competition with 3 other clubs who, despite being regularly shite, have got reasonable fan bases.

The Tyneside metropolitan area has a population of 1.6m and two clubs (Newcastle and Sunderland) with an average attendance of c.90k combined - 5.6% of the population.  The Birmingham metropolitan area has a population of 3.7m and five clubs (us, Wolves, Baggies, Blues and Cov) with an average attendance of c.125k combined - 3.4% of the population.

The reason Newcastle has no competition within a hundred miles is because no one lives there!  It's a barren wasteland!

Offline Stu82

• GM : 27.07.2021
« Reply #3055 on: May 14, 2021, 02:21:33 PM »

The Tyneside metropolitan area has a population of 1.6m and two clubs (Newcastle and Sunderland) with an average attendance of c.90k combined - 5.6% of the population.  The Birmingham metropolitan area has a population of 3.7m and five clubs (us, Wolves, Baggies, Blues and Cov) with an average attendance of c.125k combined - 3.4% of the population.

The reason Newcastle has no competition within a hundred miles is because no one lives there!  It's a barren wasteland!

Barren wasteland, interesting take on Northumberland, and surrounding areas.

I would say the relative isolation from other conurbations concentrates the support, towards the two clubs.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2022
« Reply #3056 on: May 14, 2021, 03:48:33 PM »
Yesterday I saw that rarity of all rare things, a Stripey here in town and not the usual one that lives here.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 07.04.2022
« Reply #3057 on: May 20, 2021, 10:47:25 PM »
Yesterday I saw that rarity of all rare things, a Stripey here in town and not the usual one that lives here.

Even rarer my uncle saw a nice Merc in town a couple of weeks ago with a Blues number plate. My uncle said to the driver "nice car, shame about the number plate" but he didn't want to engage so we're none the wiser.

Offline somec

• GM : 01.08.2020
« Reply #3058 on: May 27, 2021, 05:57:14 PM »
Albion must need to raise some money because they are flogging off old memorabilia on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324634031071?hash=item4b95b233df:g:Z38AAOSw~LNgnQkG

See the business seller info to confirm it is an official Albion account.

I have only ever seen non league clubs try to raise funds in this way on ebay LOL!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3059 on: May 27, 2021, 08:46:30 PM »
Albion must need to raise some money because they are flogging off old memorabilia on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324634031071?hash=item4b95b233df:g:Z38AAOSw~LNgnQkG

See the business seller info to confirm it is an official Albion account.

I have only ever seen non league clubs try to raise funds in this way on ebay LOL!

I reckon they will shift all the memorabilia a lot easier than they will shift most of the playing squad.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal