collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Alex Cropley Story  (Read 42007 times)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Re: The Alex Cropley Story
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »
Cropley's 63rd birthday today

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 05:43:38 PM »
I got the book today and, well, I'm sure the Hibs stuff is a lot better written than his time at Villa.

Offline steamer

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2014, 08:50:39 PM »
The crack was heard all around Villa Park.
To say that the mood turned Ugly is a bit of an understatement.

"The Holte did not like it, they got very angry, they kicked in some Bollocks they kicked in some heads."
sorry for the plagarisim.

The Albion "crew" took a few casualties after the game. What would have ended in a bit of a half hearted local derby banter became very ugly, Villa fans streamed out the Holte and the Witton was under seige, lots of running aggro to the Station.
Albion fans trying to melt into the night, Alternative travel arrangements to the black country being hastly made, including jumping off trains and missing stops.

Jaws Cropley, if we only had his like today.

Offline IanB

• Long time listener; 35,000th time caller.
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2014, 09:20:25 PM »
A great goal by him here:

Offline IanB

• Long time listener; 35,000th time caller.
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2014, 09:43:05 PM »
"There are some things about football that are vague in my memory, but that particular day, I can remember it was 3:46, I can remember how it happened, how I was lying. I can still smell the grass. I looked at my leg and saw a big hollow where the break was. The next thing I see is Andy Gray running from centre-forward to get the boy by the neck. He had him up against the dugout wall.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/interview-alex-cropley-recalls-his-football-career-1-2711974

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2014, 01:33:35 AM »
I still remember his chip at Sunderland when we won cos of it, was brilliant. What I remember more is his whole hearted attitude to the team cause

Offline Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2014, 12:50:20 PM »
I was at both the Leeds & Sunderland games. Abiding memories of the Leeds game are, despite the clearly heard "...we are the Villa haters" chant at the start of the clip, not feeling in any danger, maybe as there were only a handful of us there- and the Leeds fans being impressed by the Villa performance. Also, all of the goals stay in the memory- or at least have returned after viewing the clip (!); and John Robson had one of his best performances for Villa that day.
As for Sunderland, I remember Alex's chip, we were behind that goal, were with a couple of B'ham based Sunderland fans- after the game spent the evening just outside Sunderland arriving back in Brum late Sunday morning having first left after closing time on Friday night . I stayed awake to see brief highlights , we were game no. 2 on Star Soccer, went to bed at 3 pm and didn't wake up till 7.30 Monday morning.
I prefer to forget as far as I can the infamous WBA incident.
I've just skimmed through the Scotsman report, I wonder if Hearts fans are now so cocky bearing in mind their present predicament?

Offline Crops10

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2014, 12:10:01 PM »
My name is Ross Cropley, and i have just picked up on this thread. I am amazed at some of the comments onj here about Dad. I was too young to ever see him play unfortunately. But i will definately show him all the positive comments that are on here. Just wanted to say thank you on behalf of the old man. UTV

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »
My name is Ross Cropley, and i have just picked up on this thread. I am amazed at some of the comments onj here about Dad. I was too young to ever see him play unfortunately. But i will definately show him all the positive comments that are on here. Just wanted to say thank you on behalf of the old man. UTV
Ross - 3 simple words describe the feelings of all Villa fans toward your dad - ''Loved by ALL''

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2014, 12:31:19 PM »
Ross - 3 simple words describe the feelings of all Villa fans toward your dad - ''Loved by ALL''

Seconded

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2014, 12:33:03 PM »

Hibs fans had three better words - 'The White Pele'.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2014, 12:33:52 PM »
Welcome to The Villa Family Ross. Your dad was one of us and we never forget our own.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2014, 01:31:25 PM »
Now driving a taxi in Edinburgh.

edit - sorry, already been mentioned

I'm going to Edinburgh at the end of August for 5 days. Will have to make sure I am wearing something with Villa insignia on it whenever I get a taxi there. You never know! Not that I'd have a clue what he looks like.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2014, 01:42:47 PM »
Now driving a taxi in Edinburgh.

edit - sorry, already been mentioned

I'm going to Edinburgh at the end of August for 5 days. Will have to make sure I am wearing something with Villa insignia on it whenever I get a taxi there. You never know! Not that I'd have a clue what he looks like.

Tell the driver you know Ally Brown.

Offline peter w

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2014, 01:56:19 PM »
Tell the driver you are Ally Brown...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal