collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Based on what youve seen in the Summer who would you keep who would showthe door  (Read 23474 times)

Offline edgysatsuma89

I don't think people would literally cut these players out of the team

👍

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
The squads too small to let hardly anyone go. And all players need at least one full season and a half to show what they can do.

I would let  Delfouneso go and thats it.

Luna may get better. Joe Bennett was starting to improve. Ron Vlaar has come to terms with the top flight. Benteke will no doubt clear off and I couldnt care less where. Libor is coming along nicely. Baker and Sylla I'm just not sure.

Offline bobdylan

Assuming the bomb squad leave and Gardner and Albrighton's contracts run down that leaves us with 22 players plus kids, I think that's ok, we can sign 3 quality players in key positions which will make a massive difference.  Doubtless in time Herd, Baker, Bowery etc will look to leave as their playing time diminishes

Offline yaliekins

I believe the OP is more of a theoritcal question so no need to get bogged down in the 'Lambert wont sell him...' 'squad is too thin' debates ... Just wanted to talk about the centre back situation really.

For the last two (or more) seasons I think Clark has failed to show that he can progress into a top half PL defender. I don't really understand why he gets so much support on forums/Twitter other than the fact that he's come from the academy because I think it's quite clear that he's just not very good. Having said that, he did have a good start to the season when filling in for Okore but I think he's gone off the boil again for the last month or so.

He's ever so slightly better than Baker but I just don't see how Villa fans can moan about such a porous defence yet not want to have a shake up with our centre backs! The full backs have been dreadful, granted, which hasn't helped either Clark or Baker show what they can do. But I still think that if we want to improve our defence then tough decisions have to be made, and if it were my call I'd dump both of them in the summer and look to add one experienced defender and maybe one young promising cheap one. I've also been really impressed with Donacien and think he could turn out to be a better centre half than both of them. 

Offline supertom

If I were running the show I'd probably be quite brutal to be honest.

Out- Given, Hutton, Ireland, Delfouneso, N'Zogbia, Luna, Bennett, KEA, Baker, Gardner (out of contract, not worth renewing), Albrighton (likewise), Bowery, Benteke (sell him to fund new purchases), Bent, Herd, Weimann.
From all that mob we'd hopefully save a gazillion in wages and have 30-40ish million to spend on 6-7 decent new players (all first 11 quality).

Last chance saloon- Westwood, Lowton, Clark, Bacuna, Helenius
Good books- Gabby, Delph, Vlaar, Guzan, Steer, Kozak.

Bring through the likes of Donacien, Johnson, Robinson, Carruthers,  Grealish etc.

Job done.

Offline dekko

What do people think of Steer?  I've only watched him twice, at home to Rotherham when he didnt really have anything to do, and at home to Spurs where he seemed to be a pretty good shot-stopper but made some really awful decisions, having a kick charged down by Defoe and coming out for their 4th goal but then changing his mind and backtracking (although I suppose good reactions - poor decisions are what you'd expect from a 21 year old keeper).

Offline oldhill_avfc

Interesting to see the large degree of agreement in who's good enough and who should be got rid of (or will go of their own accord).

Big January and summer ahead I think if we're ever going to exit this slump.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014

Out- Given, Hutton, Ireland, Delfouneso, N'Zogbia, Luna, Bennett, KEA, Baker, Gardner (out of contract, not worth renewing), Albrighton (likewise), Bowery, Benteke (sell him to fund new purchases), Bent, Herd, Weimann.
From all that mob we'd hopefully save a gazillion in wages and have 30-40ish million to spend on 6-7 decent new players (all first 11 quality).

Bring through the likes of Donacien, Johnson, Robinson, Carruthers,  Grealish etc.

Job done.

Such wholesale changes would really be detrimental to the club.  If that was the plan, they'd be looking to do it over 2 to 3 windows at least.

As I see it, there are a few categories:-

1.  Big wages contributing nothing
Hutton, Given, Bent, N'Zogbia

Perhaps unfair on the injured N'Zogbia, but ultimately the sooner they go the better

2.  First choices who we can move forward with
Guzan, Vlaar, Delph, Gabby, Benteke, Kozak, Okore

Benteke stays in there despite current form and Okore should technically be in category 4 below, but I like what I've seen so far.

3.  Shown promise, but need to kick on a bit more
Weimann, Lowton, Westwood, Clark,

All of these should be aiming to be get into category 2

4.  Too early to tell
Steer, Luna, Bacuna, Helenius, Tonev, Bennet, Albrighton, Sylla

Some have been better than others, but if you add up the actual amount of games they've played (since Lambert's been here in Marc's case) then it really is too early to say.

5.  Need to move on
Bowery, KEA, Baker, Herd
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:35:57 PM by Concrete John »

Offline supertom

I mean yeah. In real world terms I think aside from the bombers and players out of contract this summer, I'd limit it to 2-3 more being sold.
But if I was at the helm, or going through this on FM, then I'd be ruthless. But that's why I'm not a football manager.

As for Steer. I think from the little we've seen of him he's got potential and I think I'm more than happy to have him carry on as Number 2. But ask me again if Guzan suddenly breaks a wrist and is out for 2 months. Steers had the odd mistake but other than that hasn't done a lot wrong. I'd rather pay him 10-15kish a week rather than 50k for Given.

Offline oldhill_avfc

I sort of agree with you Concrete but I think Supertom has a point about needing wider ranging changes.

Given we seem to have this policy of buying low priced speculative players (your categories 3 & 4) then presumably the aim is to look at them pre-season, in training, the odd (cup?) game or even loan them out to see what they're capable of.

I would have thought those that haven't made a breakthrough into the team within 12 months ought to be shipped out.  Let's face it, if they can't get in the current Villa team do we really think they have a future in the premiership?

Offline yaliekins

I can definitely see where you're coming from with regards to Gardner Oldhill, but I do question Lambert's team selection (well, I think he hasn't got much of a clue in that department) and worry that he HAS got a lot to offer but he just isn't his 'type' of player. I can't imagine Bacuna is a much better player, yet he has been given game time over GG since his return from injury. Can most definitely see him going elsewhere and carving out a good career for himself while we all bemoan another one that got away ...

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
What do people think of Steer?  I've only watched him twice, at home to Rotherham when he didnt really have anything to do, and at home to Spurs where he seemed to be a pretty good shot-stopper but made some really awful decisions, having a kick charged down by Defoe and coming out for their 4th goal but then changing his mind and backtracking (although I suppose good reactions - poor decisions are what you'd expect from a 21 year old keeper).
It is difficult for 2nd choice keepers these days as they don't get many games. Apart from an injury to Guzan, we are unlikely to see Steer in the first team again this season. Who would have expected Guzan to turn out so good?

Offline dcdavecollett

For me, I can't see how Steer is superior to Siegriest.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
For me, I can't see how Steer is superior to Siegriest.

Too early to tell for either of them, I think both have the potential to make it in the premier league though, just depends on getting the chance and making the most of it.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally

Job done.

Such wholesale changes would really be detrimental to the club.  If that was the plan, they'd be looking to do it over 2 to 3 windows at least.

As I see it, there are a few categories:-

1.  Big wages contributing nothing
Hutton, Given, Bent, N'Zogbia

Perhaps unfair on the injured N'Zogbia, but ultimately the sooner they go the better

2.  First choices who we can move forward with
Guzan, Vlaar, Delph, Gabby, Benteke, Kozak, Okore

Benteke stays in there despite current form and Okore should technically be in category 4 below, but I like what I've seen so far.

3.  Shown promise, but need to kick on a bit more
Weimann, Lowton, Westwood, Clark,

All of these should be aiming to be get into category 2

4.  Too early to tell
Steer, Luna, Bacuna, Helenius, Tonev, Bennet, Albrighton, Sylla

Some have been better than others, but if you add up the actual amount of games they've played (since Lambert's been here in Marc's case) then it really is too early to say.

5.  Need to move on
Bowery, KEA, Baker, Herd
Too early to tell?  how many times has the bloke got too smash the ball 40 feet wide, misplace every pass and run around like he has been blind folded before you can tell.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal