collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Competitive in Championship v uncompetitive in PL?  (Read 8032 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: Competitive in Championship v uncompetitive in PL?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 12:49:48 PM »
Relegation so we can beat Doncaster and Burnley?

How about we just sort ourselves fucking out. Get a proper manager in, sign some real players and be competitive with Southampton, Swansea, Everton, clubs with smaller crowds and smaller incomes. We need to stop pissing about now, we are the only club in the Premier league buying players from fucking Crewe and Chesterfield. Piss take.

You really are Mr Sunshine aren't you?!

You've criticised Lambert on pretty much every thread you can find but I'm yet to see you actually offer an alternative.  So care to share with us who this 'proper manager' is we should be getting in?

It's not his job to find another manager, it's the club's. Just because fans can't come up with an alternative manager to please you doesn't mean their opinion he should be replaced isn't worthy. How many fans thought of Laudrup for Swansea or Pochettino for Southampton? They haven't done too badly have they?

It doesn't matter who the fans suggest anyway. If it is anyone of any note we will be told by the Lambert fans it's unrealistic.

Unless we suggest a pile of shit like Fat Sam or Holloway it will be laughed at.

No one was laughing when Swansea and Southampton showed some ambition and imagination though. We are bigger than those two, by far, we are selling ourselves short.

Houllier - retired
Mcliesh - relegation merchant
Lambert - 1 season in Premier League

Faulkner is not fit for purpose. He knows NOTHING about football

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2013, 12:50:53 PM »
What a horrible topic. It's the Premier League all the way. Even the slightest suggestion that some fans would welcome the Championship just because we maybe be more competitive in it suggests Lerner and co have sucked every last bit of ambition out of the club.
We're Aston Villa FC, a club that's spent just 12 season out of the top flight in its entire history. Not some small time outfit who are just happy to plod along in the lower leagues.
Have some pride in the club for crying out loud!
Well said.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 12:52:19 PM »

How about we just sort ourselves fucking out. Get a proper manager in, sign some real players and be competitive with Southampton, Swansea, Everton, clubs with smaller crowds and smaller incomes. We need to stop pissing about now, we are the only club in the Premier league buying players from fucking Crewe and Chesterfield. Piss take.

You've criticised Lambert on pretty much every thread you can find but I'm yet to see you actually offer an alternative.  So care to share with us who this 'proper manager' is we should be getting in?

It's not his job to find another manager, it's the club's. Just because fans can't come up with an alternative manager to please you doesn't mean their opinion he should be replaced isn't worthy. How many fans thought of Laudrup for Swansea or Pochettino for Southampton? They haven't done too badly have they?

When we were looking for a replacement for both Houllier and McLeish I wanted Laudrup, not because of the Danish connection, but because of what he'd done at Brøndby here, and Majorca, mainly with kids and cast-offs due to financial restraints. Keeping Majorca up the year he was there was nothing short of a miracle as the club had sold just about anyone they could get cash for to stave off bankruptcy. He resigned when he was told to do it all again (sell the squad) with the players who'd now shown they could cut it at that level.
It would be the equivalent of us qualifying for the champions league with the current squad.

Plus being the player he was you couldn't imagine him settling for effort without technique.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 12:53:59 PM »
Keep it constructive and polite please.  Just because I'm at the ground doesn't mean I don't see all! And I have my new Christmas whomping stick to break out. So there!

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »
Keep it constructive and polite please.  Just because I'm at the ground doesn't mean I don't see all! And I have my new Christmas whomping stick to break out. So there!

You're already at Villa Park?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2013, 12:56:34 PM »
Yep. To sell the fanzine.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »
Queuing round the block to read about why I think the loan system is shit so I was told.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 01:12:43 PM »

No, because those clubs had been building and building, giving managers time to develop the style of play, the squad and ethos. It's not rocket science to see how Swansea have developed under Martinez, Rodgers and now Laudrup.

Atkins wasn't doing a bad job at Southampton, so their manager has inherited a strong base. Our manager has to undo years of poor management, contrasting playing styles and all whilst getting rid of overpaid lazy prima donnas.

Offline Gareth

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2013, 01:15:03 PM »
Get round by the players entrance & give the manager & each of the players a good clout on their way in.... :-)

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2013, 01:15:26 PM »

No, because those clubs had been building and building, giving managers time to develop the style of play, the squad and ethos. It's not rocket science to see how Swansea have developed under Martinez, Rodgers and now Laudrup.

Atkins wasn't doing a bad job at Southampton, so their manager has inherited a strong base. Our manager has to undo years of poor management, contrasting playing styles and all whilst getting rid of overpaid lazy prima donnas.

Those two clubs have been gradually getting better year in year out. We're going in the opposite direction. That suggests something isn't right, so it's obvious fans will call for change.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »

Can anyone see what the style and ethos at this club is under Paul Lambert?

What are we waiting for him to build? It's 18 months and I see the team no more coherent than when he took over. The team is still a mish mash of uncomplimentary players, bits and pieces players. There is no style and ethos being built. Just another house of cards. Just a less expensive one.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »

Those two clubs have been gradually getting better year in year out. We're going in the opposite direction. That suggests something isn't right, so it's obvious fans will call for change.

Going in the opposite direction despite four managers in as many years. So why would changing again make any difference?

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2013, 01:26:20 PM »

Going in the opposite direction despite four managers in as many years. So why would changing again make any difference?

Actually I'd like to see him backed with money in January so he can buy real Premier League players, not cheap foreigners and lower league dross then see what he does with it.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2013, 02:54:15 PM »
Is this really a question? Why not just make it Title Contenders in League 2 vs uncompetitive in PL? Anyone who believes getting relegated would be a good thing needs their head checked.

Offline levico

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2013, 05:52:01 PM »
Has it really come to this?

Not yet but I think this will be very common by the end of January.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal