collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Formation and Stick to It  (Read 3792 times)

Offline class_of_82

• GM : 05.04.2015
Re: Formation and Stick to It
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 09:30:10 PM »
Montbert I can see what you are saying but my point is we just have not got the players to play a flexible formation. I loved Brian littles 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 formation because we seemed to have the players who could adapt to it. I think Clark, vlaar and baker could adapt to a back three but lowton just don't seems to be switched on most of the time as it was with arsenals first goal. Maybe Luna could but then where do you fit albrighton into it for width. Gets me mad that Stephen Ireland would of been perfect for us.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 10:15:46 PM »
I thought the traditional 4-4-2 system is as good as dead as a default formation. (Rightly or wrongly).

I don't want to see Weiman starting until he regains some confidence / conviction. Clark and Baker are not good enough to play regularly as starters for Aston Villa. We need a new CB quick.  We also need 2 midfielders. Oh and Benteke to regain some form.

Formation should be flexible depending on who we are playing and adapted to the situation during a given game (whether home or away, winning, drawing or losing).

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 10:58:34 AM »
4-4-2 won't work with our players.  The only occasions I can see it working (unless you have Yaya Toure) is when one of the "two" can supplement the midfield e.g. Rooney and Suarez.  The 442 blueprint for me is the early Arsene Wenger teams.  Three solid midfielder and one flying winger and a Bergkamp who can drop deep to stop the lines of midfield and attack becoming too separated.  Arsene first had Parlour and Overmars in the wide positions and then MK II, Llundberg and Pires.

We just don't have those players, and I'm talking type of players, not quality.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 12:07:30 PM »
I agree we should try to find a shape and generally stick to it. Our inability to keep the ball is in my view in part attributable to that

It's got its problems but for me I'd stick with the 433 with the current group of players. Bacuna Westwood and Delph. Either Weimann or albrighton up top

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 12:32:22 PM »

For me this is just too lightweight in midfield. Probably due to trying to squeeze 3 forwards in for no reason. Swap Gabby for Holt and add Westwood (or preferably a new more creative midfielder) and i'd agee though

Guzan

Lowton                    Vlaar                                Clark or Baker                   Bertrand

Albrighton                           Delph                      Sylla                              Gabby

Benteke                   Holt

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 07:54:42 PM »
Today's change in formation and style shows we need flexibility.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal