collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Gregory back in management  (Read 9960 times)

Offline dcdavecollett

Re: John Gregory back in management
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2013, 06:47:22 PM »
I'm always struck by the negativity surrounding Steve Stone.

He played loads of games for us, either out wide, wing-back or centre-midfield. In THAT cup win against top-of-the-table Leeds, he was outstanding in the second half, along with Boateng.

Always gave his best -just don't understand the negativity about him on here.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2013, 07:24:33 PM »
I think he signed when we were desperately looking for a spark to halt the horrible start to 1999 we had which ruined both title and European aspirations.
There was a bit of laziness to the signing. Gregory again signing over-priced British players.
Stone was touted as an exciting wing-wonder at Forest but we made him into a more functional but reliable player. Did decently overall (remember him scoring a nice goal at Newcastle in the FA Cup which must have meant a lot to him, being from oop north) and history has probably been a bit unfair in largely forgetting his time at the Villa.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »
I think he signed when we were desperately looking for a spark to halt the horrible start to 1999 we had which ruined both title and European aspirations.
There was a bit of laziness to the signing. Gregory again signing over-priced British players.
Stone was touted as an exciting wing-wonder at Forest but we made him into a more functional but reliable player. Did decently overall (remember him scoring a nice goal at Newcastle in the FA Cup which must have meant a lot to him, being from oop north) and history has probably been a bit unfair in largely forgetting his time at the Villa.

I agree with that. I also think that although Gregory did undoubtedly pay over the odds for a lot of players (as many other clubs were doing at the same time), some of his signings, even for a brief period, were some of the most exciting ones we've made in the last fifteen years.

Merson was one of my favourite Villa players ever. A Paul Merson type in this Villa team today would see us in the top six without question. Carbone, although a very short term fix, gave us some good moments. Angel although never really living up to his potential, the same. Alpay was never boring to have around. Dion Dublin - a top, top man who did very well for us.

I met JG when I was on work experience and did a taped interview with him. As many others have said, a good bloke, and Villa through and through.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »
I bet his football wouldn't be as shit as it is now

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2013, 10:23:32 PM »
Good luck John.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2013, 01:16:15 PM »
Corporal Punishment, our former striker Guy Whittingham has joined JG at Crawley as a coach

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »
Whitts was gone by the time Gregory arrived with Little, right? Whats the link with Guy...Portsmouth?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2013, 02:02:57 PM »
Didn't Little swap him for Tayls or am I imagining that?

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2013, 02:05:12 PM »
Whitts was gone by the time Gregory arrived with Little, right? Whats the link with Guy...Portsmouth?

I think he played for Gregory at Portsmouth

Offline supertom

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
Stoney was a solid player, unspectacular but somewhat reliable and very hard working. I guess to some extent an older version of the pre-central midfield Milner. I think we overpaid, but we probably expected a bit more in the final third from him given he had a reasonable goal return at Forrest. Injuries effected his career a lot though. He kept on breaking his legs.
I often have this flash of realisation that he played for us. It's easy to forget he did sometimes. Likewise Steve Watson. I guess neither were as good or flashy as the likes of Merson, Dublin, Angel etc. Neither stick in the mind as being huge disappointments like Ginola, Hadji or Kachloul. Even Carbone is very fondly remembered for his fleeting time here, largely thanks to the Leeds game.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2013, 02:11:43 PM »
Didn't Little swap him for Tayls or am I imagining that?

correct. Little brought him over from Sheff Wed. It was something like Whittingham plus a million.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2013, 07:33:53 PM »
Like the man. Hate Crawley, bloody awful place

I always stay over when Im flying fro Gatwick .. yes very awful

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2013, 08:19:22 PM »
Stoney was a solid player, unspectacular but somewhat reliable and very hard working. I guess to some extent an older version of the pre-central midfield Milner. I think we overpaid, but we probably expected a bit more in the final third from him given he had a reasonable goal return at Forrest. Injuries effected his career a lot though. He kept on breaking his legs.
I often have this flash of realisation that he played for us. It's easy to forget he did sometimes. Likewise Steve Watson. I guess neither were as good or flashy as the likes of Merson, Dublin, Angel etc. Neither stick in the mind as being huge disappointments like Ginola, Hadji or Kachloul. Even Carbone is very fondly remembered for his fleeting time here, largely thanks to the Leeds game.

Alan Thompson was another in that mould, looked great for Bolton but largely anonymous for us.

Aside from Balaban, I thought his other foreign purchases were quite decent.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2013, 08:41:16 PM »

Alan Thompson was another in that mould, looked great for Bolton but largely anonymous for us.

Aside from Balaban, I thought his other foreign purchases were quite decent.

Gharyib.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2013, 09:05:25 PM »
Carbone is an example of a very good loan.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal