collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is this what transition looks like?  (Read 105415 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: Is this what transition looks like?
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2013, 06:38:20 AM »
It comes to something when i'm wishing for Nzogbia to come back quickly.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2013, 07:24:48 AM »
I agree in n'zogbia. But his number 36 shirt number suggest he's now in the bomb squad

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »
Good thread. Yeah I think this is transition. I like the fact we feel more solid this season. I do not like the fact that we play some poor stuff right now.

I expect Lambert to continue to change the way we play and the formations we choose. That is who he is. He did it at Norwich and with us last season, he will continue to do it.

When I see us play I still see a squad whose best times are ahead of them. That to me is progress.

Well done sir, on the money with just three sentences. That's my kind of post.

Offline eastie

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
@MatKendrick: Lambert: You’ve got to see the bigger picture rather than the small view. They’ve progressed a lot further and quicker than I thought.”

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2013, 01:09:48 PM »
There's some sense in what you're saying - Benteke is also possibly suffering second-season syndrome as well as the three you mention.

Not sure about that - he's got five goals in nine appearances.

People forget he's been injured, I think.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2013, 01:10:35 PM »
re improved defending, didn't we appoint a new defence coach in the close season?

I might have imagined that, though.

Offline dekko

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2013, 01:26:39 PM »
re improved defending, didn't we appoint a new defence coach in the close season?

We did.  New fitness coach as well.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2013, 01:29:21 PM »
Agree with a lot of posters, it's hyped as transition when in effect it's just plain average. Players, management and club. We are spending money to stand still at the moment, just above relegation while the likes of West Brom and Southampton skate ahead to the nirvana of a top ten position.

With regards to January I think we could do worse than bringing Ashley Young back on loan. Sad to see how far his star has fallen. Maybe a spell back at B6 would get him going again. Was probably England's best player in the lead up to the Euros but his failure there and subsequent injuries have seen him drop off the radar altogether. You would think 433 or 4312 would suit him perfectly and a big man up front to attack his crosses to the back post.

It's all about good footballers for me and our squad is brimful of some incredibly poor players for a few seasons now. Some on big wages and a hangover from previous regimes but most are Lambert signings.

Offline supertom

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2013, 01:42:12 PM »
Agree with a lot of posters, it's hyped as transition when in effect it's just plain average. Players, management and club. We are spending money to stand still at the moment, just above relegation while the likes of West Brom and Southampton skate ahead to the nirvana of a top ten position.

With regards to January I think we could do worse than bringing Ashley Young back on loan. Sad to see how far his star has fallen. Maybe a spell back at B6 would get him going again. Was probably England's best player in the lead up to the Euros but his failure there and subsequent injuries have seen him drop off the radar altogether. You would think 433 or 4312 would suit him perfectly and a big man up front to attack his crosses to the back post.

It's all about good footballers for me and our squad is brimful of some incredibly poor players for a few seasons now. Some on big wages and a hangover from previous regimes but most are Lambert signings.

Honestly I'd take Southamptons position at the moment. We'd all be getting nosebleeds mate! ;)

But seriously, Ash Young on loan could be a good shout. I'm not sure where he'll be in the pecking order under Moyes in the long run. Utd fans hoped to see more of Zaha but didn't really. There's also the young Belgian lad breaking through too.

It could be worth a punt. Ash is above his ability level at a club like Utd to be honest. I think he suits being a big fish in a small pond as he was here. Get him back playing week in, week out, get him to cut the dickhead diving and he could be great for us in the run in.

If not, then perhaps Zaha could also be an option, or possibly raiding Arsenal for someone on loan or permanent. I wonder if they'd consider letting Arteta go in the next year, or Rosicky on loan could provide us with some guile.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2013, 01:42:51 PM »
The transition that sticks out for me is that we've gone from being a complete mess, to a team that has started to form some sort of identity. One that was overly generous and chaotic defensively to one that is now bedding in and not giving away stupid goals. If the intemediary is that we lose some of natural flair and creativity then that's not the worse place to be. Defensively sound sides rarely go down or struggle long term. The next phase will be to keep the defensive discipline and add some flair and invention by upgrading one or two of our current players. I think the direction is the correct one even if the getting there bit might be tough to take at times.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2013, 01:48:43 PM »
I went away on holiday for a week and have been ill since I came back.  Have struggled to raise an interest in Villa's fortunes in that time.  It doesn't help that we aren't scoring any goals.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
Are we in transition - yes of course.  Straightforward economics meant we couldn't carry on with the same transfer policy as under MON.  Will it be successful - who knows?

On the downside there are simply not goal scorers in the team.  The midfield is totally dysfunctional - as a unit they are poor defensively and contribute minimally going forward. 

I'm optimistic though.  We are doing OK despite our three main attacking threats suffering injury or loss of form.  They will 'click' again soon.

Sort out the midfield (starting in January?) and positively resolve the Benteke situation (keep him or do a mini Bale) and next season could be promising. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2013, 05:05:04 PM »

Three clean sheets away from home in a row. Paul Lambert's Aston Villa have not conceded an away goal since August. Whoydafunkit?

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »

Surely if you think Albion are skating ahead of us (whilst being a massive TWO points ahead of us) towards a top ten place, that's actually vindication of doing things cheaply, as their transfer policy is one of the tightest in the league?

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2013, 06:51:48 PM »
The proof will be in the pudding of next summers transfers.

If we go down the route of buying another 6/7 youngsters around the £2.5m mark then they can stick the transition period up their arse because it will just be more roulette purchases.

Benteke will be gone £25m+ in the bank
Ireland will be off the wage bill.
Bent will be off the wage bill.

Benteke will need a serious replacement and a couple of quality midfield additions would be required. There is no reason why we couldn't/shouldn't spend the Benteke transfer fee on them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal