collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:35:10 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:31:59 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Dave
[Today at 10:27:30 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by paul_e
[Today at 10:25:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:24:40 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by johnc
[Today at 10:22:47 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by johnc
[Today at 10:19:28 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:13:48 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Albrighton set to join wigan on loan.  (Read 16284 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Albrighton set to join wigan on loan.
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2013, 11:24:53 AM »
It is a vicious circle situation for him here.

He desperately needs to prove match fitness, but he can't do that without playing matches. He isn't going to get to play matches without that fitness.

He's got a contract winding down to the end, so without sending him out on loan, it is very difficult to judge whether he's worth holding on to. If he was to be forced to spend the next six months sitting on the bench and getting five or ten minutes every now and then, that would almost certainly not be enough to prove he's worth keeping.

To me, this loan makes absolutely perfect sense.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2013, 12:51:04 PM »
It is a vicious circle situation for him here.

He desperately needs to prove match fitness, but he can't do that without playing matches. He isn't going to get to play matches without that fitness.

He's got a contract winding down to the end, so without sending him out on loan, it is very difficult to judge whether he's worth holding on to. If he was to be forced to spend the next six months sitting on the bench and getting five or ten minutes every now and then, that would almost certainly not be enough to prove he's worth keeping.

To me, this loan makes absolutely perfect sense.

I agree and the same applies to Gardner, he's spent the best part of 14 months injured. Once he's fit he really needs to go out on loan or it's going to be hard to him to earn a new deal.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2013, 01:28:02 PM »
Maybe we're finally realising how to use the loan system effectively, long overdue!

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »
Confirmed on the O/S

Marc Albrighton has joined Wigan Athletic on a one-month loan deal.

The Tamworth-born winger will link up with Owen Coyle's side on a short-term arrangement.

Albrighton could make his debut in Wigan's Championship clash against Queens Park Rangers at the DW Stadium tonight.

"I've grown up supporting Villa," he said.

"They're always going to be my club and to play for them in the Premier League is fantastic.

"From the first day the fans have always been great with me and there are so many good people at the club who have helped me from when I first came to the club as a kid.

"The manager says I'm still very much in his plans and to come to Wigan to get some games under my belt and enjoy myself which will hopefully help to get back into the team.

"I can't thank the club enough for everything they have done for me in developing me as a player and giving me this opportunity to come to Wigan and gain some much-needed game time is perfect right now.

"I aim to make the most of the opportunity."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3516667,00.html

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2013, 06:38:07 PM »
be good for him to get a bit of confidence, there is a decent player in there

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2013, 07:01:20 PM »
He is one of those players who I think it would be unwise to sell just yet. He has shown he can do it in his early days so, hopefully, the spell at Wigan in a totally different set up may shake something out of him.

Offline dekko

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2013, 09:55:15 PM »
He got 15 minutes in the match against QPR tonight, didn't really have a chance to get into the game.

Online JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2013, 10:30:13 PM »
Glad he's going to get games, but anyone know why Wigan wanted him?

McClean and McManaman are already there. They have Powell on loan as an attacking midfielder too.

Offline mrastonvilla

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2013, 10:34:58 PM »

McClean and McManaman are already there. They have Powell on loan as an attacking midfielder too.

Coyle said that they wanted an extra midfield player whilst Maloney is out injured

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2013, 08:46:56 AM »
Good luck Marc. I hope the lad tears up the Championship.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2013, 11:54:52 AM »
Was thinking the same re already having McLean and McManaman on their books.

Great quotes from Marc. He's a good kid.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2013, 08:33:14 AM »
Ironic that McLean (already benched for Wigan) and albrighton are at the same club. Really hope Marc recovers his form but I suspect they're both destined to be on the downward trajectory other flash in the pan direct young wingers have had.

Not sure who the next one will be, but it could be someone like mcmanaman, or sterling.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2013, 09:42:49 AM »
Well,Marc Albrighton is a winger not a midfielder/winger. Therefore Lambert's not interested no matter how well he does at Wigan.Even if he recovers the excellent form he showed under Houllier he will be on his bike when the contract runs out.

I would hope he goes somewhere where being a winger is appreciated by the manager.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2013, 11:16:59 AM »

They're playing Nick Powell as a second striker, McManaman hasn't actually started many games this season.

Coyle is a good manager for advancing young players, Wilshere and Sturridge both came on a treat when they were on loan at Bolton so maybe Marc can be saved yet.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2013, 11:17:51 AM »
Well,Marc Albrighton is a winger not a midfielder/winger. Therefore Lambert's not interested no matter how well he does at Wigan.Even if he recovers the excellent form he showed under Houllier he will be on his bike when the contract runs out.

I would hope he goes somewhere where being a winger is appreciated by the manager.

You do realise he did actually start a few games first half of last season so clear Lambert did see something in him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal