collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul McGrath - don't worry  (Read 123169 times)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Paul McGrath - don't worry
« Reply #450 on: February 24, 2021, 02:05:04 PM »
I'd be tempted to say pace. He never looked very quick when he ran and I don't think he was, but he always seemed to get to the ball before the opponent. Other than that he never scored that many goals, although he still got a few.

No, he had pace, and plenty of it. He just rarely had to use it because his reading of the game was so good.

I watched the MOTD highlights recently of us beating Liverpool at Anfield in '93, there's a moment in the second half when Rosentahl, who was no slouch, was slipped in, and God just turned on the afterburners over 5-10 yards, made up the ground, executed a perfect tackle and walked off with the ball.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #451 on: February 24, 2021, 03:02:47 PM »
I'd be tempted to say pace. He never looked very quick when he ran and I don't think he was, but he always seemed to get to the ball before the opponent. Other than that he never scored that many goals, although he still got a few.

No, he had pace, and plenty of it. He just rarely had to use it because his reading of the game was so good.

I watched the MOTD highlights recently of us beating Liverpool at Anfield in '93, there's a moment in the second half when Rosentahl, who was no slouch, was slipped in, and God just turned on the afterburners over 5-10 yards, made up the ground, executed a perfect tackle and walked off with the ball.

That was him, on repeat. It just happened over and over again. It's a privilege to have seen him play such was his genius on the pitch.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #452 on: March 30, 2021, 09:08:56 AM »
Poignant moment in the Jack Charlton documentary last night.

Charlton could barely recall his own name or recognise himself in pictures.

But recognised McGrath and his whole face lit up as soon as he seen a video of him. 

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #453 on: March 30, 2021, 09:16:25 AM »

But recognised McGrath and his whole face lit up as soon as he seen a video of him. 

Fantastic documentary. That moment was the most memorable for me too. McGrath featured heavily too and I loved to the little highlights reel of God vs Italy in USA 94.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #454 on: March 30, 2021, 09:57:11 AM »
Fantastic documentary. That moment was the most memorable for me too. McGrath featured heavily too and I loved to the little highlights reel of God vs Italy in USA 94.
For me, that was just the best performance of any defender I've ever seen.  He had 2 pockets in the back of his shorts that day, and he kept Roberto Baggio - the best striker in the world - in one, and Giuseppe Signori in the other.  Signori scored 26 goals in 32 games in 1992-93, and 23 goals in 24 games in 1993-94.  In Serie A.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 10:00:28 AM by algy »

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #455 on: March 30, 2021, 10:10:45 AM »
During his time at Villa he was the best defender in the world and I'm certain Barresi or Maldini couldn't have done what Macca did versus Italy that day.  It makes me shout at the telly when I see these Sky discussions about the best Premier League defender ever because the John Terrys, Rio Ferdinands etc do not come close to Paul McGrath.  It's a travesty Macca hasn't more medals to show for his efforts but I hope the admiration, love and respect folk have for him make up for that.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #456 on: March 30, 2021, 10:46:49 AM »
During his time at Villa he was the best defender in the world and I'm certain Barresi or Maldini couldn't have done what Macca did versus Italy that day.  It makes me shout at the telly when I see these Sky discussions about the best Premier League defender ever because the John Terrys, Rio Ferdinands etc do not come close to Paul McGrath.  It's a travesty Macca hasn't more medals to show for his efforts but I hope the admiration, love and respect folk have for him make up for that.

I think he's more than happy with the support, love and affection he's held in.

I saw a discussion the other day that suggested he wasn't even considered to be one of Ireland's best players. The Keanes were popular, Brady too but McGrath didn't get much o a mention.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #457 on: March 30, 2021, 11:01:02 AM »
God doesn't need the medals, I've never known a player that cuts through rivalries like he did, I'd talk to any fans of other clubs down the years and they'd always agree he was a great player, no ifs or buts.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #458 on: March 30, 2021, 11:41:15 AM »
God doesn't need the medals, I've never known a player that cuts through rivalries like he did, I'd talk to any fans of other clubs down the years and they'd always agree he was a great player, no ifs or buts.

Absolutely, no question.

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #459 on: March 30, 2021, 07:56:39 PM »

I think he's more than happy with the support, love and affection he's held in.

I saw a discussion the other day that suggested he wasn't even considered to be one of Ireland's best players. The Keanes were popular, Brady too but McGrath didn't get much o a mention.
He is universally loved, even by those that aren't football fans. I have always thought that it is a widely held view that he is our nailed on world-class player. All the others can be debated.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #460 on: March 30, 2021, 08:01:22 PM »
During his time at Villa he was the best defender in the world and I'm certain Barresi or Maldini couldn't have done what Macca did versus Italy that day. 

Wasn't it said that Baggio asked for his shirt after that game?

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #461 on: March 30, 2021, 08:04:24 PM »
He is universally loved, even by those that aren't football fans. I have always thought that it is a widely held view that he is our nailed on world-class player. All the others can be debated.

Agreed. McGrath first, then you can argue over in what order Brady, Giles, Roy and Robbie Keane make up the top 5.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #462 on: March 30, 2021, 08:08:25 PM »
The big man had a spurt of pace when needed but more often than not his positioning, reading of the game and quick thinking meant that he didn't need to rely on pace and recovery. He seemed to have a knack of just appearing as if from nowhere.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 08:10:10 PM by Damo70 »

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #463 on: March 30, 2021, 08:56:05 PM »
I know it's sacrilige to question any part of his game but being too young to appreciate his true genius consistently, I'd still like to hear of any weaknesses.

Bit harsh to call it a weakness but the ticking clock of time always seemed to be against him whilst at villa.  Each pre-season he’d come back and it’d almost feel like a new signing.

Offline JuanMartinez

« Reply #464 on: March 30, 2021, 08:58:21 PM »
Met God 1994/1995 pre season photo shoot - was extremely fortunate to win a competition via evening mail, true gent and some great photos.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal