collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul McGrath - don't worry  (Read 124741 times)

Online AGRIPPA

Re: Paul McGrath
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 11:00:16 PM »
We were spoilt in the mid 90s with likes of Yorke, Atkinson but this guy the best player I ever seen in a villa shirt by miles.

I cannot remember the game but it was he was in 1 on 1 with a striker and he had given the guys 5 yards and the other the player in his pocket within seconds.

The way he read the game was immense and was a very very special talent
Oh for the love of God to remember who that player was.... That's moment is my endearing memory of him.... He looked to have no chance but made the ground and won the ball

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 11:02:41 PM »
We were spoilt in the mid 90s with likes of Yorke, Atkinson but this guy the best player I ever seen in a villa shirt by miles.

I cannot remember the game but it was he was in 1 on 1 with a striker and he had given the guys 5 yards and the other the player in his pocket within seconds.

Oh for the love of God to remember who that player was.... That's moment is my endearing memory of him.... He looked to have no chance but made the ground and won the ball

There was the one against QPR when he not only made a tackle that was impossible, he also won the ball and played it out. Their supporters applauded.

Online AGRIPPA

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 11:05:54 PM »

There was the one against QPR when he not only made a tackle that was impossible, he also won the ball and played it out. Their supporters applauded.
Dave... Do you recall who the player was? I seem to remember he was a very nippy player

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2014, 11:07:29 PM »
He made the impossible, possible, time after time..

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2014, 11:09:18 PM »

Dave... Do you recall who the player was? I seem to remember he was a very nippy player

I think it was 1991-92 so it might have been Les Ferdinand.

Online AGRIPPA

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2014, 11:14:03 PM »

I think it was 1991-92 so it might have been Les Ferdinand.
Cheers... What I would give to see that again

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2014, 05:08:17 PM »
I was at the Manor Hospital in Walsall today to see about my dodgy knee. After being shown the results of the CT scan, which included torn cartilages and a snapped cruciate ligament, ...... To emphasis his point he began his next sentence with the words, "Have you ever  heard of a player called Paul McGrath?

Sort of cheered me up a bit.

All the very best to you and your knee! My knees are a mess but a recent cartilage op was very successful - I was cleaned up and my knee doesn't give away suddenly any more.

I've heard of him, by the way.

Thanks, berneboy, nice to hear you had yours fixed.

They've started talking about replacing mine with a bionic one if you could hear them talking about it.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2014, 06:58:58 PM »
There were many tackles like the one described above where seemingly he was second or even third favourite for the ball, but not only got there, but did something useful with it as well.  However, my favourite memory is a header he did at Old Trafford when we were under the cosh a bit where he cleared the ball from our penalty box and it went out at the half way line well into the stand.  Most mortals couldn't kick it that far.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »
I remember a couple of times he cleared the ball with a backheel whilst jumping up in the air. He made it look so casual and so easy. When he scored against Spurs in 1996, his first goal for about 4 years, the cheers were so loud I thought the roof was going to come off.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2014, 07:11:05 PM »
I remember the tackle on Les Ferdinand he was through one on one, McGrath was nowhere...then somehow he was sliding in and he put his foot on the ball and stood up in one movement with the ball at his feet. Ferdinand continued running in on goal thinking he still had the ball.

The tragedy is that TV companies keep the goals on file, but never keep great tackles. So much of McGrath's genius is lost.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2014, 07:12:34 PM »
Mcgrath header at Forest, think it was under Big Ron, wild celebrations.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
The name we use sums him up for me.

God.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2014, 07:25:40 PM »
Best defender Earth has ever seen. Fantastic player. Not one of the current bunch, Benteke apart, comes anywhere close to being worthy of a shirt after Paul McGrath has worn one. Jeez how we've fallen.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »
Best defender Earth has ever seen. Fantastic player. Not one of the current bunch, Benteke apart, comes anywhere close to being worthy of a shirt after Paul McGrath has worn one. Jeez how we've fallen.

Benteke does not even come close. None of the current squad do.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2014, 07:29:15 PM »
I remember the tackle on Les Ferdinand he was through one on one, McGrath was nowhere...then somehow he was sliding in and he put his foot on the ball and stood up in one movement with the ball at his feet. Ferdinand continued running in on goal thinking he still had the ball.

The tragedy is that TV companies keep the goals on file, but never keep great tackles. So much of McGrath's genius is lost.

I remember the 1992-93 game vs QPR at home, Ferdinand was tackled two or three times by McGrath and Teale, still somehow managed to hold onto the ball, go round Spinksy and there was Teale to clear it off the line. McGrath never had a finer partner than Shaun Teale and yes that includes Ehiogu and Southgate.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal