collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul McGrath - don't worry  (Read 124845 times)

Offline russon

Re: Paul McGrath
« Reply #345 on: April 30, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »

One of the best night's I ever had watching Villa away. Their poor keeper had a shocker culminating in our hilarious second goal when his muffed punch fell to Teale who squirted a volley in his path only for him to volley it into his own net, priceless.

McGrath's goal (and there were very few) was a towering header, nothing was gonna get in the way of him.

Highlight of the night for me though was in the warm up when a stray McGrath shot sailed the bar and smacked me in the coupon. An honour indeed.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #346 on: April 30, 2018, 02:41:58 PM »

One of the best night's I ever had watching Villa away. Their poor keeper had a shocker culminating in our hilarious second goal when his muffed punch fell to Teale who squirted a volley in his path only for him to volley it into his own net, priceless.

McGrath's goal (and there were very few) was a towering header, nothing was gonna get in the way of him.

Highlight of the night for me though was in the warm up when a stray McGrath shot sailed the bar and smacked me in the coupon. An honour indeed.

Both collectors' items!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #347 on: April 30, 2018, 10:12:20 PM »
I think their keeper that night was a young Northern Irish guy called Paul Kee. He got pelters from us travelling Villa fans for his premature baldness. I don't think I can ever remember such sustained 'banter' with an opposition player. I actually felt sorry for him, although that didn't stop me joining in. He had a mare.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #348 on: May 01, 2018, 05:33:53 PM »
I think their keeper that night was a young Northern Irish guy called Paul Kee. He got pelters from us travelling Villa fans for his premature baldness. I don't think I can ever remember such sustained 'banter' with an opposition player. I actually felt sorry for him, although that didn't stop me joining in. He had a mare.

Twas indeed.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #349 on: May 01, 2018, 08:51:20 PM »
Did Rush ever score against us when McGrath was in the side?

If he did it would have been someone else's fault.

No one ever says he had a bad game but c'mon, there were a few and he'd be the first to admit it.

Offline russon

« Reply #350 on: May 01, 2018, 09:45:39 PM »

No one ever says he had a bad game but c'mon, there were a few and he'd be the first to admit it.
He had a shocker in that Highfield Rd Boxing Day fiasco 92/93 when fatty Quinn turned us over, I believe the temptations that accompany that time of year might have had something to do with it and he later acknowledged the fact.

Offline ZhongYi

• "The left side (of the Holte)"
« Reply #351 on: May 02, 2018, 01:14:40 PM »
Regarding Cheltenham Lion's post earlier was it was Jim Walker who was the first person associated with the club to make the statement that Paul was Villa's greatest ever player? - could have been in a News and Record sometime around 1993 or 94. I read it then but not sure on the date but pretty sure to that no one had really suggested it - at least not publicly in the media anyway. So a good call from Jim Walker - who was such a great asset to the club.

Some great moments of football genius in Paul's story but what has prompted me to write this is re the FA century match: McGrath winning the ball off Maradona!!! In his prime - how fucking cool is that?! and hey has there ever been a better side assembled for a paying audience than the the rest of the world XI? Maradona, Platini, Lineker, Josimar, Thomas Berthold - hard to believe that when you watch the footage that the stadium seemed about 2 to 3 quarters full - even though I think most people were interested in the game. It did create some buzz. I have to admit I did not remember Paul McGrath playing in that game even though as a kid I watched it on TV.

Actually the earliest I ever heard about Paul McGrath was watching the 85 cup final when he was named man of the match. In them days the likes of 'Shoot' and 'Match' used to still occasionally refer to him 'the Black Pearl of Inchicore' as well! Also on McGrath signing for the Villa I do recall a Sports Argus edition comparing a player Blues also signed at the same time who was an injury prone player and a front page suggesting both signings were risky!

Would be great if someone out there has some old 80s and 90s editions of the Argus to put on line.

As for the McGrath story video - superb, an excellent posting on here. Thouroughly enjoyed watching it. Hence the post. Thanks :)

Up the Villa!

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #352 on: May 02, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »

Twas indeed.
I remember Paul Moss get loads of stick from a small group in the lower Holte that went on for the whole half.  No obvious reason to pick on him that I can recall.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #353 on: May 02, 2018, 01:52:37 PM »
Paul McGrath stopped Diego Maradona, Michel Platini, Gary Lineker, Paulo Futre and substitute Preben Elkjaar scoring that day. For me, that makes him better than them all put together.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #354 on: May 02, 2018, 03:04:30 PM »
Regarding Cheltenham Lion's post earlier was it was Jim Walker who was the first person associated with the club to make the statement that Paul was Villa's greatest ever player? - could have been in a News and Record sometime around 1993 or 94. I read it then but not sure on the date but pretty sure to that no one had really suggested it - at least not publicly in the media anyway. So a good call from Jim Walker - who was such a great asset to the club.

Some great moments of football genius in Paul's story but what has prompted me to write this is re the FA century match: McGrath winning the ball off Maradona!!! In his prime - how fucking cool is that?! and hey has there ever been a better side assembled for a paying audience than the the rest of the world XI? Maradona, Platini, Lineker, Josimar, Thomas Berthold - hard to believe that when you watch the footage that the stadium seemed about 2 to 3 quarters full - even though I think most people were interested in the game. It did create some buzz. I have to admit I did not remember Paul McGrath playing in that game even though as a kid I watched it on TV.

Actually the earliest I ever heard about Paul McGrath was watching the 85 cup final when he was named man of the match. In them days the likes of 'Shoot' and 'Match' used to still occasionally refer to him 'the Black Pearl of Inchicore' as well! Also on McGrath signing for the Villa I do recall a Sports Argus edition comparing a player Blues also signed at the same time who was an injury prone player and a front page suggesting both signings were risky!

Would be great if someone out there has some old 80s and 90s editions of the Argus to put on line.

As for the McGrath story video - superb, an excellent posting on here. Thouroughly enjoyed watching it. Hence the post. Thanks :)

Up the Villa!

I was at that match, it was unbelievable seeing all that talent.  Watching Maradona do tricks during the warm up, I've never seen anything like it before or since.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #355 on: May 02, 2018, 03:37:16 PM »

He had a shocker in that Highfield Rd Boxing Day fiasco 92/93 when fatty Quinn turned us over, I believe the temptations that accompany that time of year might have had something to do with it and he later acknowledged the fact.

I think he acknowledged in his book he 'wasn't in a good way' that day at Highfield Road. That game, the QPR Beelzebub hat trick game and the home game against Wimbledon towards the end of the 1990 season are the only bad games I remember him having.

Offline MorrisNielson

« Reply #356 on: May 11, 2018, 07:48:26 PM »
Also on McGrath signing for the Villa I do recall a Sports Argus edition comparing a player Blues also signed at the same time who was an injury prone player and a front page suggesting both signings were risky!

Ask and you shall receive:

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #357 on: May 12, 2018, 10:52:34 PM »

Up the Villa!

I was at that match, it was unbelievable seeing all that talent.  Watching Maradona do tricks during the warm up, I've never seen anything like it before or since.

I think I remember this. I think he was doing keepy uppies on his thighs, but without moving his leg. It was like he was just tensing his muscles at the right time to project the ball upwards

Offline Damo70

« Reply #358 on: May 13, 2018, 01:45:16 PM »
Also on McGrath signing for the Villa I do recall a Sports Argus edition comparing a player Blues also signed at the same time who was an injury prone player and a front page suggesting both signings were risky!

Ask and you shall receive:

I can't believe they compared Paul McGrath and Phil Sproson. McGrath played 253 times for Villa and won two cup winners medals with us. Sproson played 12 games for Small Heath and then left to go to Stafford Rangers.

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #359 on: May 13, 2018, 02:43:07 PM »
I went to watch my local team Bridport FC last Wed as I have a few youth players that I coach starting the step up into adult football.  Got talking to the 2nds manager who gave me the low down on the teams before kick off. He mentioned that they were missing the best central defender a lad called McGrath! Turns out its the Son of God!! who lives in Taunton.

I know a few of the local old boys that are at every match home and away. One sells old programmes to raise money for Bridport FC. I have given him hundreds of old Villa programmes to sell. He told me he sold one to the Son of God which had a picture if his dad in the cover.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal