collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Radio WM  (Read 881832 times)

Online kippaxvilla2

Re: Radio WM
« Reply #4575 on: May 05, 2023, 01:59:49 PM »
No matter how hard they try, there is always a bitter undertone.

Mike Taylor, BBC Radio WM

That is the problem with a long unbeaten run - it stings all the more when it finally ends. And there was no denying on Sunday that Villa had been outplayed by a Manchester United side which has clearly improved under Erik ten Hag.

Such has been the transformation of Villa, that Sunday’s first half came as something of a cold shower. Even the best teams do not play well every time though, and there is clearly still a good deal more growing to do to reach the ambitions of the club and the coach.

But all is not lost in the race for Europe, even if their rivals are formidable. Liverpool have regained momentum, and Brighton showed they have got over the FA Cup semi-final by dismantling Wolves. And then there’s Tottenham.

As luck would have it, those four clubs happen to be the teams left on Villa’s fixture list. Wolves are up first and, although strong defensively at Molineux recently, last weekend they looked like a team who could not wait for the season to end. The other three games give Villa the bonus chance to take points away from their direct rivals for European qualification.

It is also worth remembering that perhaps as recently as February, Europe might as well have been Narnia for all the chance it seemed Villa had of getting there. If they do not make it this season - even if they do not win another game – they have at least served notice of their intent.

Further evidence may be coming in the reported arrival of Mateu Alemany, the football director of Barcelona.

Why would somebody in a powerful position with one of the world’s pre-eminent football clubs want to move to Villa? No doubt it will be a well-paid job, but Senor Alemany’s CV would command a few bob wherever he chose to be.

If he makes the move from Barcelona to Birmingham, any player he might try to persuade to join Villa this summer could hardly be given a better recommendation.

*Wolves v Aston Villa – live commentary on BBC Radio WM (95.6FM/DAB/Freeview), Saturday, 15:00 BST

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4576 on: May 05, 2023, 03:02:13 PM »
I'm sensitive to such things but am struggling to see any issues with that

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #4577 on: May 05, 2023, 03:05:41 PM »
I was focusing on the El Alemen comments.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #4578 on: May 05, 2023, 03:10:09 PM »
Yeah it's just the way that paragraph is framed.  Instead of saying what a coup it would be for Villa and a real sign of their ambition going forward, he dismissively questions why he would come to the club in the first place as he would have better options.

Although he's the Woves correspondent, Mike Taylor is usually pretty balanced to be fair (well for WM anyway!). 

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4579 on: May 05, 2023, 03:19:40 PM »
I thought everybody at WM was a Wolves correspondent?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4580 on: May 05, 2023, 03:29:25 PM »
I was focusing on the El Alemen comments.

Let's not battle about that.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4581 on: May 05, 2023, 03:36:37 PM »
Does anyone listen to their phone-in anymore?

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #4582 on: May 05, 2023, 03:38:11 PM »
Not me not since that scouse bloke was presenting it.  Is Eddie still alive?

Online tomd2103

« Reply #4583 on: May 05, 2023, 03:55:34 PM »

Listen to a some of the Villa callers on the way home after a game, but that's it.  I find Daz Hale's voice too annoying to listen to it too often.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 01:06:48 AM by tomd2103 »

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #4584 on: May 05, 2023, 03:58:19 PM »
Always bear in mind that WM stands for Wolves Media and you get an idea of where their loyalties lie.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4585 on: May 05, 2023, 04:16:48 PM »
Why would somebody in a powerful position with one of the world’s pre-eminent football clubs want to move to Villa? No doubt it will be a well-paid job, but Senor Alemany’s CV would command a few bob wherever he chose to be.

Does the bitter Dingle realise that Wolverhampton's biggest attraction is its proximity to Birmingham.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #4586 on: May 05, 2023, 04:27:27 PM »
I listen to it if I am travelling home from work at the time it’s on. I can get it on BBC sounds and it reminds me of home. The biggest problem I find with it now is that the sound production is awful. You can barely make out some of the callers and then the WM jingle nearly deafens you!

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #4587 on: May 05, 2023, 05:22:11 PM »
I didn't know they still did it. Is Franks still there?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4588 on: May 05, 2023, 05:50:34 PM »
I've not listened to it for years. I remember some girl used to ring up moaning about Darren Bent every week.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #4589 on: May 06, 2023, 12:48:35 AM »
Wanting to listen to a football phone-in is so alien to me. I would rather listen to H from Steps gargle One Direction's* greatest hits on repeat whilst a scouser reads me the bible. Everyone to their own though, I've got some uncles I can talk to if I want to hear some dickheads.

*Couldn't say Step's, even gargled they have some bangers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal