collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:35:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:39 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:30:00 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by brontebilly
[Today at 12:27:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 12:00:15 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[April 16, 2024, 11:52:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[April 16, 2024, 11:51:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Pat McMahon
[April 16, 2024, 11:44:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your old programmes  (Read 23511 times)

Offline BlackCountryVilla

Re: Your old programmes
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2022, 07:41:44 PM »
This is a bit of a request on behalf of my brother (who doesn't do this internet thing very well!)
He collects football cards, stickers and programmes. At least he did when he was younger but now, gone 50, he has rekindled his interest! We used to buy the programme every match (until started to equate the cost to another pint!). As a result he has loads from the 70's to early 90's but hardly anything from the last 25 years.
If anyone has any they are planning to get rid of he would love them! He collects all teams so any at all really. Any teams, any years, all welcome!
Feel free to ignore if it seems a bit cheeky to ask !!!

Cheers,
BCV.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2022, 10:06:29 AM »
This is a bit of a request on behalf of my brother (who doesn't do this internet thing very well!)
He collects football cards, stickers and programmes. At least he did when he was younger but now, gone 50, he has rekindled his interest! We used to buy the programme every match (until started to equate the cost to another pint!). As a result he has loads from the 70's to early 90's but hardly anything from the last 25 years.
If anyone has any they are planning to get rid of he would love them! He collects all teams so any at all really. Any teams, any years, all welcome!

Cheers,
BCV.
R u able to pick up?

Offline BlackCountryVilla

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2022, 08:35:10 PM »

Cheers,
BCV.
R u able to pick up?

Could do mate. I'll send you a message.

Offline steamer

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2022, 07:57:57 PM »
Not Programmes, but,
I was cleaning out junk rooms at the weekend and came across a trove of Villa newspapers. The Villa times.
The first batch were from 1972
The next lot were, 76,77,78
Seems like most are there but number 1 from 72 is missing
I well remember them being delivered to the house.
My question to any knowledgeable collectors is, was there a gap between 72 and 76 or did my dad just cancel the subscription ?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2022, 08:13:56 PM »
Not Programmes, but,
I was cleaning out junk rooms at the weekend and came across a trove of Villa newspapers. The Villa times.
The first batch were from 1972
The next lot were, 76,77,78
Seems like most are there but number 1 from 72 is missing
I well remember them being delivered to the house.
My question to any knowledgeable collectors is, was there a gap between 72 and 76 or did my dad just cancel the subscription ?

It was out of print for a few years.

Offline knightra

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2023, 02:44:26 PM »
I'm a first-time poster but an avid reader of the site ( at least once a day. ) I get to VP around 4/5 times a season and attended my first match back in 1968 ( I think ) -  v Stoke which we won 2-1. I've been a season ticket holder ( late 70's / early 80's ) and have been fortunate to witness us win the league, European Cup and League Cups. The only big trophy missing is the FA Cup but I don't intend to dwell on this after Sunday's debacle.
Enough about me and I do hope I've posted this in the correct place. If not, apologies and I do hope a Mod will shift it where it should be.
I was clearing some stuff out earlier and came across this which appears to be from 1947. As you can see from the attached cover photograph, it's a collection of cartoons reprinted from the Birmingham Evening Despatch ( I'm not old enough to recall that. ) I wondered how rare it might be. Any information would be gratefully received. I should say I'm not looking to dispose of it but I did think it might be quite rare.

Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2023, 11:58:23 PM »
Hi Knightra.

I'm by no means an expert but I once tried to track this book down and couldn't get hold of a copy so I would say that it is a rare item.

PS. I went to that game against Stoke in 1967. It was to be our last win at the top level for over EIGHT years!

Offline knightra

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2023, 11:26:35 AM »
Thanks, Dave. I guess by the date itself it's rare but as it's only a collection of re-prints, I'm not certain it would be very valuable.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2023, 12:34:46 PM »
They weren't rare at the time of print, so just a case of how many are still kicking about and what nick it's in. I have this and a similar Villa FA Cup history that Edwards did, passed down through the family. Mine are well thumbed - not quite a Razzle in a bush but showing their age nonetheless. I'd be surprised if they have major value; you're probably talking tens of pounds. Edwards did these for a few clubs, including a Blues pamphlet. He was a prolific and fine cartoonist. Got some great likenesses.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2023, 11:05:17 PM »
Edwards was brilliant, wasn't he?

I used to look forward to his cartoon in the 'Argus' on a Saturday night. Even when the villa had lost (quite often in those days), he could raise a laugh.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2023, 10:32:28 AM »
And a really excellent artist. Properly of the era. His line, the bobblehead, the little background details. Love his drawings.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2023, 01:19:04 AM »
Well described!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal