collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your old programmes  (Read 23394 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Your old programmes
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »
I never buy the programme these days, but as it was only £2 for the Malaga friendly I thought why not ?

Page 28 has an article by Dave Bridgewater about the programmes for games we have played against Spanish teams.
Apparently the Bilbao v Villa game over there in 1977 fetches £70. I went to it and have dug out two mint condition copies from my collection. I also found three copies of Antwerp v Villa in 1975 and checking the web these are selling for £25. So there's £215 for starters if I ever want to sell !

I know my 1957 final and the handful of pre war ones I've collected are a worth a few bob and I have a couple of hundred 1950s too. But the price for the European aways surprised me. I am now wondering what other valuable gems are hidden away.
A good £2 invested on Saturday.  :D

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
Re: Your old programmes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:13:40 AM »
If anyone has the 1961 League Cup Final against Rotherham home and away, I'll give them £20 for the 2...  ;)

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 11:23:52 AM »
If anyone has the 1961 League Cup Final against Rotherham home and away, I'll give them £20 for the 2...  ;)

I think I may have the home leg, I recognise that cover for the away leg as something I have but it could be for a league game.
Having checked the prices these sell for, the answer to your offer of £20 is errrr No.

Offline deep_easy

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 11:36:43 AM »
I  tried to flog my 57 Cup Final programme in that there London about 10 years back. I was offered 'about five quid' by a major dealer because apparently 'no-one supports Villa outside Birmingham, mate'.

I did point out that the opposing team were quite well-known, and mentioned 'Busby Babes' and 'Bobby Charlton still had hair then'.

The offer stayed at a fiver, so I kept it.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 12:26:49 PM »
Bingo.
I've got the 1st leg at Rotherham. Mint condition, not a mark on it. 12 pages and Price 3d.
I would expect I have the home leg too tucked away. I've also found almost 40 home programmes dated 1943 and 1951.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 12:58:03 PM »
Went through the attic a year or so ago and there were quite a few programmes from the late 1960s and early 1970s. One weird thing is that quite often we seem to have 2 or 3 copies of each programme and the other is that my dad only came down to live in Birmingham in the early 70s and didn't start going to Villa until about 1973. No idea how they came to be in our possession.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 01:11:47 PM »
Maybe the reason you had a few copies of each programme was the "Villa voucher' scheme, introduced to collect to get priority ticket allocation for big games and Cup Finals in the early seventies..."Villa vouchers are valuable...save them!"
This led to most people buying a couple of copies of the programme every match, I have similar duplicates with the vouchers cut off.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »
Mr Bear - i think you are taking the proverbial there mate!!!!

Add a nought then double it!!!

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 02:08:15 PM »
for my 50th birthday a mate bought me the programme closest to my birthday,  Bolton away....20th April 1963 and it's in beautiful condition for something 50 years old !!

unlike me  ::)

oh and we lost...

**just checked that the last one on Ebay went for the £2.99........tight sod !
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:59:58 PM by Dr Butler »

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »
Mr Bear - i think you are taking the proverbial there mate!!!!

Add a nought then double it!!!

Indeed I was! As a keen collector myself I know exactly what they're worth, and tirelessly peruse car boot sales in the hope that some old chap is selling them in a bundle for £2, not knowing their true value.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 04:37:19 PM »
Emptied my loft a few years ago when I moved and gave all of my programmes going back as far as the 60s to my nephew/godson.
For the last few years I have passed all my programmes (and H&Vs) to his son.
Keeping it in the family and the tradition going!
UTV!

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 04:58:26 PM »
The first column shows 4 pages sheets dating between 1943-48
The second column with the mean looking player was 8 pages, season 1948-49.
The ones showing the ground was how the programme then appeared all through the 50s into the 60s. Note the Holte terrace with no roof.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »
Yes I have programmes from the fifties. In the early sixties you used to be able to pick them up from the terrace at the end of the game.

The book price for programmes (as for records) is not the price you would hope to get , far from it. The Villa Park leg against Blues (1963 League Cup Final) is supposed to be worth around £150 because there was a short run off. I was at both legs and have this programme.The specalists only offered £50 so really E Bay is your only option and thats no guarantee of success Im afraid.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 05:15:20 PM »

Got both Rotherham ones myself Andy, plus the Bloose home one in 63 as well.

Dr B.......you're 3 days older than me.

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 05:16:14 PM »
That first League Cup Final programme.

The middle pages of the programme.

The advert below the Villa line up made interesting reading.

There's a career for you in COAL one with a real future.
The thriving Yorkshire Coal Industry offers an interesting well paid, secure life to young men and boys leaving school. There are vacancies at most Colleries for trainee Mine Operatives and Apprentice Craftesmen. The increasing use of modern machinery makes the work interesting and varied, training is thorough and good wages are paid for a guaranteed five day week. Apply to any Colliery Manager or write to :-
NATIONAL COAL BOARD
NORTH EASTERN DIVISION
South Parade, Doncaster.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal