collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Worst refereeing decisions you've seen go against us?  (Read 30184 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Worst refereeing decisions you've seen go against us?
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2013, 09:40:25 PM »
Not sending off Vidic in the Cup Final. Was the worst decision I've ever seen by any ref. Dowd couldn't blame being unsighted, unsure or anything else like that. He based his decision purely on not wanting to upset their manager, then lied about it not being a goal-scoring opportunity in a pathetic attempt to cover himself.

I am with Percy verbatim.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2013, 09:45:06 PM »
I've mentioned this bloke on here before, Pat Partridge.  He gave so many bad decisions against us you couldn't fucking count them!
I've mentioned this bloke on here before, Pat Partridge.  He gave so many bad decisions against us you couldn't fucking count them!
Was he the man in the middle for QPR  at home this season-shocking referee

No Franky, this tosser dates back to the seventies.  A special friend of Brian Clough's...allegedly.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2013, 09:45:23 PM »
This one is remembered by a few of us here.

Pat McMahon goal that never was at Leicester near the end of the 1969/70 season.
Hit a powerful low shot into the net which beat Shilton and bounced straight back out off the back stanchion.
Villa players start to celebrate then the referee says play on !
Leicester hit the ball up the other end and score.
Total pandemonium all round, the referee realises he has messed up. I think he gave a drop ball somewhere in the middle of the park.
I can still to this day picture Shilton - while players from both teams were surrounding the ref - quietely going into the back of the net to wipe the mud left by ball off the stanchion.
Leicester went on to win 1-0 that night. A few weeks later Villa were relegated to the 3rd division.

My memory of this game is that it was a Saturday night match (not afternoon). It was misty and the ref was struggling IIRC.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2013, 10:14:11 PM »
Kevin Richardsons handball on the line in the League Cup Semi at Goddison in 84. I was right alongside that and it's still incredible it wasn't given to this day - he's just scored at the other end to make matters worse. We just referred to him as handball for years after until he joined us.

Ronnie Rosenthal giving the most blatant swan dive you'll ever see to win the obligatory penalty at Klanfield (surprise) in the early 90's.  Just threw himself to the ground with Macca about two feet away, Ref bought it and all the 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' fans did the diving motion for the rest of the game - pathetic and i've hated them every since.

Obviously the Halsey free kick routine but I wasn't at that game.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2013, 10:33:08 PM »
Barry got sent off vs Portsmouth opening day of the season when they'd just come up. He got red for swearing at th linesman for getting the throw in wrong.

It annoyed me that everyone was so happy for them to win in the media? Also why did this ref decide to apply a rule which us never ever applied anywhere else.

Jay Rodriguez last season too, never forget.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2013, 10:43:44 PM »
Michael Oakes' sending off at Blackburn 1997=8-ish.  Totally wrong, & to make it worse uber-tosser Tim Sherwood got the winner in injury time.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2013, 10:51:43 PM »
Barry got sent off vs Portsmouth opening day of the season when they'd just come up. He got red for swearing at th linesman for getting the throw in wrong.

It annoyed me that everyone was so happy for them to win in the media? Also why did this ref decide to apply a rule which us never ever applied anywhere else.

Jay Rodriguez last season too, never forget.

I wonder what GB actually said to the linesman that day -  he did not look particularly surprised at the decision. In fact the whole incident took on a surreal quality given Barry's temperament and "previous".

Offline Dave Javu

• GM : 31.07.2019
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2013, 10:56:14 PM »
Remember the Hawthorns Celta Vigo game. One player was sent off for taking a throw-in, I think.

I hope the memory banks are correct, but I went to Derby v Villa at the Baseball Ground sometime in the 70's - Villa "scored", but the net wasn't properly tied down behind the goal line and the ball popped out of the back of the net. No goal given. Anyone else see this?
Yep - my first away game. It was just after Bruce Rioch moved to Derby from Villa. We lost 1-0 IIRC charlie George getting the only goal that counted.

Thanks. Proof that I'm not losing it.

Offline peter w

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2013, 11:05:55 PM »
Michael Oakes' sending off at Blackburn 1997=8-ish.  Totally wrong, & to make it worse uber-tosser Tim Sherwood got the winner in injury time.

I was talking to Dermot Gallagher who was ref that day. He said that he'd get stick from Villa fans when he reffed our games after the sending off and it wasn't fair because it was the linesman who gave the handball against Oakes and not him.

Offline mr woo

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2013, 11:23:18 PM »
Not sending off Vidic in the Cup Final. Was the worst decision I've ever seen by any ref. Dowd couldn't blame being unsighted, unsure or anything else like that. He based his decision purely on not wanting to upset their manager, then lied about it not being a goal-scoring opportunity in a pathetic attempt to cover himself.

I am with Percy verbatim.

Quite correct.

If a similar incident occurs next season now Moyes is their manager, you can bet your mortgage the outcome will be less favourable for them.

Its going to come as a big shock to them when they realise the ref is no longer in Fergusons pocket.

They'll be even more upset when they work out he'll be in Mourinhos instead.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
we got quite a few fecking piss poor refs last season. I said around Feb time that Lambert had to be the unluckiest manager we have had, I think after that woeful Rodriguez one. Thankfully we got a few things even out after that, but the 2 penalties up at Man City still rankles, as do the offside goals at Old Trafford, or Terry not being sent off in the Chelsea game at VP long before Benteke had the chance to try and control a ball near his chest, that Terry knew he could get Tekkers sent off for. The ref was weak as Allan Partridge on steroids that day too.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2013, 11:36:51 PM »
Remember the Hawthorns Celta Vigo game. One player was sent off for taking a throw-in, I think.

I hope the memory banks are correct, but I went to Derby v Villa at the Baseball Ground sometime in the 70's - Villa "scored", but the net wasn't properly tied down behind the goal line and the ball popped out of the back of the net. No goal given. Anyone else see this?
Yep - my first away game. It was just after Bruce Rioch moved to Derby from Villa. We lost 1-0 IIRC charlie George getting the only goal that counted.

Thanks. Proof that I'm not losing it.

You could both be losing it.
I am.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2013, 11:45:51 PM »
One that still pisses me off, and possibly because I had several discussions about this with a brummie red in the weeks after, is Gerrard diving to win the free kick against us on the first day of the season a few years ago. Blatant dive, punished by an outstanding free kick in all fairness, but such a feeling of being cheated out of a credible point. (they were a good side then)

The following week they played Chelsea, and justice was served in sorts as Chelsea cheated them out of a win with a dive for a penalty or something, to which the brummie red was gutted and all 'we should be top of the league and have been cheated out of two points' At every opportunity i pointed out that their points tally was correct and that he was a dick.
I can still see Gerrard pushing the ball one side of a Villa defender, runnning the other side of him and going down like a bag of shit, no contact involved. And the ref bought it! I had a long exchange online with a lpool fan who maintained that's how you win games!
Our 3-1 win away last season was extra sweet!
Twunt!

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2013, 11:48:52 PM »
Paul Alcock adding on loads of time then Lee Dixon equalizing when we could have gone top of the league against Arsenal still annoys me. Sure it was Alcock. Might have been Riley even back then. He was rubbish too.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2013, 11:52:26 PM »
Kevin Richardson at Goodison '84
Henry free kick. Thanks Mr Halsey
Vidic at Wembley
That penalty Southampton were awarded last season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal