collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Olneythelonely
[Today at 04:34:09 PM]

FFP by Drummond
[Today at 04:33:36 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 04:31:41 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 04:29:17 PM]

MOTD by Somniloquism
[Today at 04:26:39 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 04:25:59 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Louzie0
[Today at 04:22:06 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Risso
[Today at 04:19:35 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Olneythelonely
[Today at 04:34:09 PM]

Re: FFP by Drummond
[Today at 04:33:36 PM]

Re: FFP by Demitri_C
[Today at 04:32:53 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 04:31:41 PM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 04:30:13 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 04:29:17 PM]

Re: MOTD by Somniloquism
[Today at 04:26:39 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 04:26:04 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sad, sad, sad  (Read 45356 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Sad, sad, sad
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2013, 03:56:22 PM »
Having read his book more than once, it would seem that solitude and too much time to think and become depressed leads him to drink on occasions. Equally, being out and about with his basic shyness and insecurities leads him to drink. Soon the shyness is overtaken by the drunkenness. I certainly don't think the police targeted him because of who he was. I think it is accepted that many people in Ireland, including the police and the press have actually done the opposite over the years and tried to protect and help him.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2013, 04:07:17 PM »
Always sad to hear him struggling with his demons.
Without knowing any details of how long he has fallen off the wagon it is difficult to know how bad it is this time around. Hopefully it was a one off, in which case an incident with him being arrested could prove a blessing. Rather that than him quietely heading home in denial and sinking back into the bottle long term.
But Paul McGrath will never completely stop until Paul McGrath himself makes that decision and  really understands that he can never ever go near alcohol again. It took my other half a while to reach that point but she hasnt had a drink in about 14 years now and as certain as I can be about anything I know now she never will.       

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2013, 04:17:54 PM »
I am sure she knows how proud you are.

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2013, 04:27:29 PM »
Every time I hear 'on the piss my lord' I want to hand everyone singing it a copy of his book.  In my view it's not just an embarrassing song, it's morally repugnant and utterly indefensible.  It doesn't make me cringe it makes me f***ing angry.

To those that say 'he just needs to want it' I'm afraid alcoholism is a much tougher demon than that.  Don't take my word for it, read his autobiography.  It's an excellent book that may well open your open your eyes to a few things.  It's also a good insight into the inner workings of our club back then.  It's only £5.99 on Amazon and you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Amazon

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2013, 04:35:56 PM »
That song will only disappear when people who don't really like or support it stop singing it or in fact parts of the our own crowd when it is sung denounce it. It would be weird and likely unrealistic for part of the crowd at Villa Park to boo those singing that song but something needs to be done to get rid of it. I doubt that the club would request something officially but given the trying circumstances of a living legend and hero to so many of us it would be nice.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2013, 05:21:12 PM »
Or for more people to read his book. Then these tools who sing the song will realise what a life he lived before he was famous, and how its a daily struggle for him, as these sad scenes have shown.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2013, 05:51:19 PM »
The song is an irrelevance, not singing it will make no difference to his condition.

It saddens me to read about him going off the rails again but it seems, like with so many addicts, to be somehow inevitable.

Offline eastie

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2013, 06:10:50 PM »
As his twitter profile says - one day at a time .

Sadly thats going to be the case for him for a long time to come.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2013, 06:24:27 PM »
The song is an irrelevance, not singing it will make no difference to his condition.

I just think that part of the song, considering his condition, is in real poor taste. I know it wont make his condition better, but at least it'll stop me from cringing every time i hear it.

Offline eastie

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2013, 06:31:08 PM »

I just think that part of the song, considering his condition, is in real poor taste. I know it wont make his condition better, but at least it'll stop me from cringing every time i hear it.

I think the whole song is cringeworthy not just the McGrath reference.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2013, 06:33:46 PM »
Unless it's my hearing they start with the 'on the piss' verse now, no mention of Paul.

And my sympathies out to his family having to keep dealing with things like this.

Offline bob

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »
But Paul McGrath will never completely stop until Paul McGrath himself makes that decision and  really understands that he can never ever go near alcohol again.

I've always wondered about this. Is total abstinence the way to solve the problem? It doesn't seem the most healthy way to deal with it to me, to live a life with a monkey permanently on your back.

There must be a reason why a person has become dependent on alcohol. I can see why a period of abstinence is necessary and the reason for that would be to work on whatever caused the drinking problem in the first place.

Offline bob

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2013, 06:35:44 PM »
Every time I hear 'on the piss my lord' I want to hand everyone singing it a copy of his book.  In my view it's not just an embarrassing song, it's morally repugnant and utterly indefensible.  It doesn't make me cringe it makes me f***ing angry.

That's a bit over the top.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2013, 06:37:55 PM »
But Paul McGrath will never completely stop until Paul McGrath himself makes that decision and  really understands that he can never ever go near alcohol again.

I've always wondered about this. Is total abstinence the way to solve the problem? It doesn't seem the most healthy way to deal with it to me, to live a life with a monkey permanently on your back.

There must be a reason why a person has become dependent on alcohol. I can see why a period of abstinence is necessary and the reason for that would be to work on whatever caused the drinking problem in the first place.

I'd be interested to hear the views of Russon on this if he would care to share them.

I feel so sorry for McGrath and hope that one day he will overcome his demons. The song is out of order given his circumstances. I was saddened to read, "On the p*ss, M'Lord, on the piss..." by someone on FB who had linked to the rte version of this article.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2013, 06:46:28 PM »
Given his history I would say abstinence is his only option. And after this long the chances of that happening are pretty slim i'd have thought.

From my personal experiences of alcoholics any that have tried moderate drinking have always gone on full time drinking again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal