collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Celtic arrange Petrov Charity match - match thread  (Read 68309 times)

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Celtic arrange Petrov Charity match
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 01:47:28 AM »
Does anybody know if there is going to be a facility set up (tweets, txt, phone,bank no.) for anybody watching who wants to donate as well? Just thought, what an opportunity.
I guess they will have a number at the bottom of the screen and the advertising boards will be giving it plenty.
Hope so!

Offline manic-road

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 06:32:27 PM »
These are the players for Stan's charity match

Petrov XI from: Gabby Agbonlahor, Gareth Barry, Dimitar Berbatov, Patrick Berger, Habib Beye, John Bishop, Wilfred Bouma, Nicky Byrne, Carlos Cuellar, Richard Dunne, Brad Friedel, Shay Given, Marian Hristov, Chris Kamara, Roy Keane, Radostin Kishishev, Paul Lambert, Martin Petrov, Stiliyan Petrov, Robert Pires, Jamie Redknapp, John Terry, Hristo Yovov.

Celtic XI from: Didier Agathe, Bobo Balde, Tom Boyd, Warren Brown, Jorge Cadete, Martin Compston, Rab Douglas, Stevie Graham, Pierre Van Hooijdonk, Tommy Johnson, Tosh McKinlay, Henrik Larsson, Neil Lennon, Johan Mjallby, Brian McClair, Jackie McNamara, Lubo Moravcik, Bobby Petta, Momo Sylla, Chris Sutton, Joos Valgaeren, Morten Wieghorst.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 06:47:24 PM »
On BT Sport I've heard

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »
John Terry takes some abuse on here but maybe we should all eat a little slice of JT humble pie tomorrow. Classy that he is turning out.

Online atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 07:13:36 PM »
If I remember right John Terry also gave more £s than most to the Petrov appeal thing via PayPal. He is otherwise a twat but fair play for supporting Petrov.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 07:47:48 PM »
He threw a grand at it I think which whilst peanuts to him you have to say fair play. As an aside about 10 years ago I was at england game at old Trafford fortunately in a box. After the game I always remember after the players had warmed down, there were lots of fans near the tunnell wanting autographs etc, well England players as they are they all just walked past no time at all, apart from Terry who stopped and signed. Not only that he than ran half the length of the pitch to the wheelchair area just below where we were and posed for photos and signed stuff for the disabled for about 10-15 mins. He may be a total twat at times but inside him somewhere he has a heart of gold. There I've said it.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 10:12:57 PM »
On BT Sport I've heard
Yes they have just confirmed live tomorrow at 1.30.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 10:21:05 PM »
Would love to be at Celtic Park to show the support for a proper top man.

Offline eastie

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 08:35:09 AM »
Quote from:  the mirror

By Ralph Ellis | 07/09/13 

If you asked most people for their list of football’s good guys then John Terry would probably not be a name that would figure.

Great player, courageous defender, ­captain, leader, legend if you are a Chelsea fan.

But a string of off-the-field scandals, feuds, alleged affairs, rows and arguments – plus those cringing pictures in full kit celebrating the Champions League after being banned in the final – leave his reputation more than soured for the rest of the game.

Talk to Stiliyan Petrov, ­however, and a ­different ­picture emerges.

When Aston Villa’s former midfield star was first diagnosed with acute leukaemia, Terry was the first rival Premier League ­captain to get in touch and wish him well.

And today the Chelsea star will underline his commitment to support Petrov’s recovery by flying to Glasgow to play at sold-out Celtic Park in support of his charities.

Petrov, currently in remission and planning to play at least part of the match ­himself, wants the world to know the softer side of a man who has become the game’s pantomime villain.

The Bulgarian said: “Before I was ill I knew John only from ­shaking hands ­before ­kick-off in ­matches, and as a fierce ­competitor.

“We had also met and talked at the ­meetings the ­Premier League hold for ­captains before the start of each ­season.

“But from the ­moment the news came out about my illness he was one of the first to get in touch and he has ­carried on being ­supportive ever since. He doesn’t ­always have an easy time with the fans, but I have seen a very different man to that image.

“He has gone out of his way to encourage me at different times – always sending ­messages and texts while I was going through treatment, even though sometimes it might have been a month before I felt strong enough to return them.

“When I was planning this game he was the first to sign up. I rang and asked if he could take part and he just said: ‘Tell me when and I’ll be there. Who wouldn’t want to play in the atmosphere of a sold-out Celtic Park?’”

Petrov’s courageous fight against leukaemia has drawn backing from ­players and fans from every club in the ­country, and the 34-year-old is now ­trying to put something back having launched his own ­?cancer c­harity.

And he admits he’s humbled by the ­response to his match which features a ­Celtic XI against a Stiliyan XI – with a line-up that includes singer Louis Tomlinson from One Direction.

He said: “It definitely helped the ticket sales – I doubt we will hear the referee over the screams from the girls!”

Petrov starred for Celtic in a seven-year stint at Parkhead which included a UEFA Cup final in 2003.

“It is emotional for me knowing how many people will be there, and I am looking forward to meeting up with some of the people I played with ­during my time at Celtic because they were great days,” he added.

“We had a terrific group of ­characters who knew when to laugh and when to work and I have ­amazing memories of ­reaching the UEFA Cup final and all the other success we enjoyed.

“I don’t know how I will react – I hope I don’t cry.

“I haven’t cried ?all through these hard times so ?I don’t want to start now.”

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 09:07:34 AM »
Fair play to Terry, support from unexpected sources at a time like that will really have given him a lift. Just shows that there is more to people than the almost cartoon like caricature that we often get presented with.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 09:29:22 AM »
Fair play to Terry, support from unexpected sources at a time like that will really have given him a lift. Just shows that there is more to people than the almost cartoon like caricature that we often get presented with.

Don't like Terry or a lot of the things I've heard about him, but I'll certainly second this.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 12:28:55 PM »
He will do anything that will keep his name in public domain. People like Terry do not see difference in good or bad it's all the same to them as long as self preservation is achieved.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 12:33:36 PM »
He will do anything that will keep his name in public domain. People like Terry do not see difference in good or bad it's all the same to them as long as self preservation is achieved.

Playing in a charity match on a Sunday afternoon is hardly going to get him banner headlines. He doesn't have to do it, he's doing it and it might raise a few more pounds for the fund.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 12:54:31 PM »

Playing in a charity match on a Sunday afternoon is hardly going to get him banner headlines. He doesn't have to do it, he's doing it and it might raise a few more pounds for the fund.
And in contact all through his illness,no bandwagon jumping here.

Offline Uknowthescore

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »

FFs give the bloke a break

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal