collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by villadelph
[Today at 10:10:04 PM]

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Le Lapin
[Today at 10:09:55 PM]

Diego Carlos by nordenvillain
[Today at 10:09:04 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:04:00 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:51:55 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Six fixtures arranged to mark the Football League's 125th anniversary.  (Read 6893 times)

Offline hipkiss92

The League 2 ones are a bit strange since none of those mentioned were founder members.

Rochdale Hartlepool is the most played FL fixture and Newport Accrington Stanley is the newest member v a 'founder member'

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Clearly there's nothing announced for the premier league fixtures but I'd hope they do the decent thing and make 2 matches involving us, wba, everton and stoke on the opening day.  It seems weird to celebrate the anniversary of the league being created with the 2 most successful founder clubs not being involved, Villa vs Everton just feels right for this.

The worry is that football actually began in 91 so sky and premier league see nothing to celebrate, I hope not though.

Offline mal

The worry is that football actually began in 91 so sky and premier league see nothing to celebrate, I hope not though.
We were second then, too.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
It can't by Stoke away first up,thats boxing day 8.00pm.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
The League 2 ones are a bit strange since none of those mentioned were founder members.

Rochdale Hartlepool is the most played FL fixture and Newport Accrington Stanley is the newest member v a 'founder member'

Neither Newport nor Accrington Stanley were founder members.

Offline eastie

The twelve original members were Accrington, Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Derby County, Everton, Notts County, Preston North End, Stoke, West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers who agreed to play a twenty-two game format whereby each team would host each of their eleven rivals once with two points awarded for a win and one point awarded for a drawn game. The team with most points at the completion of the season would be declared Champions of England while the team with the fewest points would be forced to seek re-election to the league for the following season.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025

No, but Accrington were. Newport are playing them as they're the newest members of the football league (and technically a different side from the one that was in the Football League previously).

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork

No, but Accrington were. Newport are playing them as they're the newest members of the football league (and technically a different side from the one that was in the Football League previously).

Er, so like I said, no founder members involved.

Offline hipkiss92

Er, so like I said, no founder members involved.

Which is why I put founder members in inverted commas, they're not actually founder members, but it seems the FL are using them as a continuation to celebrate the 125th anniversary

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Accrington Stanley have been picked presumably to commemorate the fact that a team from Accrington (albeit, not them) were founder members. Newport have been picked as the newest team.

Neither Rochdale or Hartlepool were founder members, however Rochdale v Hartlepool (and vice versa) is apparently the most-played game among current Football League teams. That is the stated reason why that game has been picked.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
Accrington Stanley have been picked presumably to commemorate the fact that a team from Accrington (albeit, not them) were founder members. Newport have been picked as the newest team.

Neither Rochdale or Hartlepool were founder members, however Rochdale v Hartlepool (and vice versa) is apparently the most-played game among current Football League teams. That is the stated reason why that game has been picked.

What a spurious reason to play an anniversary game. Why not pick the team with the tallest floodlights or the club that has used the most bog roll since inception. I'm all for celebrating longevity and achievement, but this is just wank.

Offline Damo70

Aah, the legendary Rochdale/Hartlepool fixture. Top of my bucket list ahead of Barcelona/Real Madrid, Celtic/Rangers and Boca/River Plate.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
I think a better way to mark the occassion would be to play the Albion on the last day of the season to mark their return to the football league.

They know what they are...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal