collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 09:32:11 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:28:43 PM]

Robin Olsen by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:25:36 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:20:35 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:12:29 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Drummond
[Today at 09:11:32 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:54:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brett Holman  (Read 101690 times)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Re: Brett Holman
« Reply #450 on: June 25, 2013, 11:30:05 AM »
Whilst not sad to see him go, I'd much rather have him on the bench than Ireland, KEA, Herd, Albrighton. Still lots of clearing out to be done.

Disagree.  KEA might still go on to be an asset and Herd is very good at right back.

Offline supertom

« Reply #451 on: June 25, 2013, 11:42:52 AM »
I think KEA could come good. Once he settles into the pace a bit better. He's a tidy player, comfortable with the ball, he just needs to get up to speed. I don't see Lambert giving up on one of his own signings after just a year either.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #452 on: June 25, 2013, 11:44:28 AM »
Whilst not sad to see him go, I'd much rather have him on the bench than Ireland, KEA, Herd, Albrighton. Still lots of clearing out to be done.

Disagree.  KEA might still go on to be an asset and Herd is very good at right back.

Very good is stretching it - adequate cover at right back, and emergency backup in the centre of defence and midfield is probably fairer.  He'd be good (maybe very good) in a team that TSM managed as he works his socks off and tackles well but his passing and movement will hold him back at anywhere trying to play good football.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #453 on: June 25, 2013, 11:57:19 AM »

Very good is stretching it - adequate cover at right back, and emergency backup in the centre of defence and midfield is probably fairer.  He'd be good (maybe very good) in a team that TSM managed as he works his socks off and tackles well but his passing and movement will hold him back at anywhere trying to play good football.

The best performance I saw him give was (IMO) at right back against Wolves.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #454 on: June 25, 2013, 12:12:32 PM »

I agree, I just disagree with the term 'very good' on the back of 1 good performance against a side that were relegated.  Adequate cover is ok, if he gets to play at right back next year and does a good job then we can revisit it.  I do believe his versatility in being able to perform reasonably in a number of positions gives him some value in the squad though and I'd have  no problem keeping him so long as he's aware that he's a way down the pecking order in the centre of midfield.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #455 on: June 26, 2013, 10:46:11 AM »
I agree he was excellent at Right back that day, I struggled to see why we signed Hutton when he could have done the job as well if not better! Having said that we were right to get rid of Holman

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #456 on: June 26, 2013, 12:43:36 PM »

I agree, I just disagree with the term 'very good' on the back of 1 good performance against a side that were relegated.  Adequate cover is ok, if he gets to play at right back next year and does a good job then we can revisit it.  I do believe his versatility in being able to perform reasonably in a number of positions gives him some value in the squad though and I'd have  no problem keeping him so long as he's aware that he's a way down the pecking order in the centre of midfield.
I thought Herd had some good games in CMF during the TSM nightmare: away at L'pool and WBA spring to mind. Not just in terms of defensive play (his covering of FB was good) but he pinged a number of passes and had one or two goal attempts by arriving late on the edge of the box.

He's worth keeping but PL has to decide how best to use him; and in the context of the new arrivals he is only ever going to be a squad player.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal