collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by eamonn
[Today at 01:34:31 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:33:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Player of the Season  (Read 12230 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Player of the Season
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »
Guzan for me. Although Benteke runs him close and i've said for ages that he will go on to be a world class player, had we not signed him and stuck with a strike force of Bent/Gabby/Weimann/Fonz/Bowery then I think we'd still have a pretty similar number of goals scored and be in a similar league position.

I firmly believe had we spent all season with Given in goal we'd be bottom. That's why it is Guzan for me.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2013, 11:51:46 AM »
If Benteke scores another seven goals he'll be the first Villa striker since Peter Withe to have scored 20 league goals in a season. It's a tough ask, but if he manages it in his first season in a struggling team then there's no way he can't be player of the season.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2013, 12:12:53 PM »
Goalscorers grab the headlines, but I think Guzan's just been amazingly consistent across the season in a way that even Benteke hasn't been. I'm struggling to think of a goalkeeper we've had who inspires players and fans alike with such confidence when he comes for a cross, and if you add to that his exceptional array of saves I think he shades it. Benteke has been ridiculous though - his goals haven't just been tap ins, they've been 'I'm-doing-it-all-on-my-own' goals. He's a real game-changer, but I think Guzan has been a game-saver even more often than that.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2013, 12:16:50 PM »
Agree Monty. Benteke has scored every type of goal, head, left and right foot, tap ins and screamers. He's literally got it all in his bag, and he's only just realising how good he is and nowhere near as good as he can or will be. And that back heel at Anfield is still one of my favourite moments of the season. Love Guzan, but Benteke still just shades it for me.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
Brad without doubt has kept us in a chance of staying in this division - I agree about Given ... with his flapping at crosses we would be further in the shit.

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2013, 01:04:31 PM »
Agree Monty. Benteke has scored every type of goal, head, left and right foot, tap ins and screamers. He's literally got it all in his bag, and he's only just realising how good he is and nowhere near as good as he can or will be. And that back heel at Anfield is still one of my favourite moments of the season. Love Guzan, but Benteke still just shades it for me.

I've said it before, as have others, but I can't help but think that Benteke is close to being the perfect striker for the Premier League right now, in much the same way as Drogba was. Very strong, knows how to use his physique to his advantage, no lack of skill, hard-working, good in the air and quick with his feet.

That's not to say he's as good as Drogba, or perfect, by the way, just to say that he has the attributes (physical and mental) to be in the future.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2013, 01:16:32 PM »
He's a big strong lad now, but with a bit more weight, some extra muscle in his upper body, coupled with some experience he'll be superb. If his application matches his ability he can be anything he wants to be in the game in his position. Drogba became a stunning player given the right manager, team and environment at Chelsea. But it really wasn't until the latter half of his twenties that he truly began to dominate other teams.

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »
I should probably clarify a little; I mean for the way the game is played in the Premier League 'right now', rather than Benteke is a perfect player 'right now', if that makes any sense?!

In other words, I'm in complete agreement with you, TV!

Offline regular_john

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2013, 01:31:21 PM »
The Goose has been incredible this season, can't think of a single mistake he's made and I'm convinced that had he been between the sticks for the Bradford games we'd have gone on to the final. Player of the season by a wide margin for me. Second place would go to Bentekkers.

YPOTY - Bentekkers or Weimann.

Offline supertom

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2013, 01:52:08 PM »
Benteke. He's been brilliant. It's not just the goals, but more so it's been the amount of times he's got goals out of nothing when otherwise the rest of the team were struggling to create chances. We've lacked a player who can do that for a while now. Carew on his day could make something happen from nothing, but Benteke more so, and it helps that he, unlike big John, plays every game. He's definitely a bright spark in a mostly very ordinary side. Reminds me of Merson under the Gregory days. We were quite workmanlike. Didn't score many, but Merson had the ability to do something extraordinary to either score or make a goal, and also entertain the crowd.

Such a difference picking a poty this year compared to the last two seasons though. Ireland won it last year despite being very average. Downing the year before, who was nothing more than a 7/10. Bent would have pushed him close for half a seasons work, but in truth, all you get from Bent is goals.

'All you get from Bent is goals'. Pretty daft comment isnt it?  Especially as he is a striker!
Not really. Could you honestly give someone a player of the year award purely for putting the ball in the net. Benteke offers far more to the team. And we're discussing player of the year here. To me Benteke's been a whole different level to Bent at his best for us, and that still remains 5 months a couple of years back.
I'm not knocking Bent for what he offers at his best but take away those goals and his impact in the side is minimal. We've seen that quite evident in the last two seasons when we've needed 11 players to really work for the team and he's been a ghost largely when he's played. Even last season, despite still being our top scorer he had a poor (half) season IMO. Had a stat that he had the fewest touches in the Premier League for a regular.

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2013, 01:57:09 PM »
Has to be Guzan. As important as Benteke's goals have been thus so far, Guzan's saves have kept us in games more often than not.

Offline Doorbell

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2013, 01:58:34 PM »
I have Guzan and benteke about even stevens.  One has saved us points on numerous occasions, the other scoring us points, I really wouldn't want to decide...can't they share it?!

Offline supertom

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2013, 01:58:59 PM »
It is a really tight call. I've wanted the Goose to do well since we got him. I remember him having an amazing game in the Peace Cup against Juve a few years back in pre-season. It just evoked Bosnich at his best. Really glad Lambert re-signed him. He has been top quality.

Again too, Wiemann and Westwood have played far better than anyone did last season too.

Plus with 8 games left things could well change. Being so young you always wonder when Benteke might suddenly go a dozen games where he can't hit a barn door. That hasn't happened yet thankfully. It's always in the back of your mind.
What I really like about Guzan is how self assured and confident he is in what he does. He'll make a decision quick and go for it. Even if he makes an error it won't cause any hesitation or doubt next time.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2013, 02:00:17 PM »
I have Guzan and benteke about even stevens.  One has saved us points on numerous occasions, the other scoring us points, I really wouldn't want to decide...can't they share it?!

Enda Stevens for player of the year? That's a long shot!

Offline Doorbell

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2013, 02:01:02 PM »
It is a really tight call. I've wanted the Goose to do well since we got him. I remember him having an amazing game in the Peace Cup against Juve a few years back in pre-season. It just evoked Bosnich at his best. Really glad Lambert re-signed him. He has been top quality.

Again too, Wiemann and Westwood have played far better than anyone did last season too.

Plus with 8 games left things could well change. Being so young you always wonder when Benteke might suddenly go a dozen games where he can't hit a barn door. That hasn't happened yet thankfully. It's always in the back of your mind.
What I really like about Guzan is how self assured and confident he is in what he does. He'll make a decision quick and go for it. Even if he makes an error it won't cause any hesitation or doubt next time.

I haven't voted yet...you're not making it any easier for me Tom!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal