collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by itbrvilla
[Today at 05:15:56 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 05:15:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 05:15:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Monty
[Today at 05:12:30 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by nigel
[Today at 05:10:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 05:10:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 05:08:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 05:07:30 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Players / Managers that have become Villa fans  (Read 18359 times)

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
Re: Players / Managers that have become Villa fans
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2013, 07:10:22 PM »
Sir Graham still lives in Sutton Coldfield I believe as does Paul "magic man" Merson
Walked past Paul Merson in Sutton today
Near BetFred ?  ;)

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »
Dion Dublin
Although the media always seem to introduce him as "former ManUre player" (even though he barely played a dozen games of them because of his leg-break).

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2013, 08:45:49 PM »
I've seen Walters a number of times in the posh section of the North upper this season.

Really? The North stand had a posh section?

It does, I was sat in there next to Bernie Gallacher on the Birchy fund raising day.

Offline jeowje

« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2013, 07:49:31 AM »
Regarding Adrian Durham saying that us winning the European Cup was the greatest achievement by an English club, does no one else take that as rather patronising, almost a veiled insult? Considering that Nottingham Forest won it the two years previously? (probably just because it came from his mouth). I think there might be a better argument for Liverpool 2005

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2013, 08:10:55 AM »
My thoughts exactly.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2013, 12:29:33 PM »
Houghton is a twat, can't listen to his waffle. He thinks that if you've never played the game you're not allowed an opinion on it. Wanker.

Which is an opnion that I once had of him, and him brushing me aside at BHX a fair few moons ago. However, on meeting him in Dublin about 4 years ago, he actually spoke quite highly of his time at Villa and was very approachable

Offline Damo70

« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2013, 05:01:33 PM »
Just to pick up on the points made about Bosnich, Yorke and Dublin. If they want to open doors to media work and impress people they play the 'ex Man U' card. Whereas if Paul McGrath ever wanted to impress people he could say 'I'm Paul McGrath'.

Offline Charlie8182

« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »
I've seen Walters a number of times in the posh section of the North upper this season.

I've seen Mark Walters several times outside the ground on matchdays in the past few years, along with Garry Thompson who I see every now and again at VP.

Offline peter w

« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2013, 08:29:42 PM »
Regarding Adrian Durham saying that us winning the European Cup was the greatest achievement by an English club, does no one else take that as rather patronising, almost a veiled insult? Considering that Nottingham Forest won it the two years previously? (probably just because it came from his mouth). I think there might be a better argument for Liverpool 2005
I think not...

He goes on to say

"Villa had to sell players, they then won the title in 1981 and after their manager, Ron Saunders, walked out mid-season they then won the European Cup under Tony Barton.
English champions, and then conquerors of Europe".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2267459/Adrian-Durham-column-Hazard-ballboy-Leon-Britton-Arsenal-Villa-Newcastle.html#axzz2KFNSGXvT

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2013, 10:33:49 PM »

Really? The North stand had a posh section?

It still has. It's the "A".

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »

I've seen Mark Walters several times outside the ground on matchdays in the past few years, along with Garry Thompson who I see every now and again at VP.

Funny thing is, a few years ago Charlie Aitken was the only Villa ex-player (now known as Legends). These days, he is never a Legend but just turns up in his van. Garry Thompson is a regular guest but what are they doing choosing Hodge?

Online mike

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2013, 07:28:35 AM »
I think not...

He goes on to say

"Villa had to sell players, they then won the title in 1981 and after their manager, Ron Saunders, walked out mid-season they then won the European Cup under Tony Barton.
English champions, and then conquerors of Europe".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2267459/Adrian-Durham-column-Hazard-ballboy-Leon-Britton-Arsenal-Villa-Newcastle.html#axzz2KFNSGXvT

Having read the link, he is nothing but complimentary about the Villa.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal