collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why I still back Randy and Lambert  (Read 7371 times)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Why I still back Randy and Lambert
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 11:44:06 PM »
I back Lambert.
I am not sure about Randy but he has invested close to £200M of his money.
However i am absolutely sure that Failkner is not good enough to manage us.

Offline newtonsballs

• GM : 21.02.2020
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 11:47:34 PM »
I back Lambert.
I am not sure about Randy but he has invested close to £200M of his money.
However i am absolutely sure that Failkner is not good enough to manage us.

You have put my thoughts into words - thank you

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 11:59:15 PM »
Lets be fair, Lerner has backed every manager, but has had his fingers badly burnt by some signings a few years ago. That said, I do think he needed to help the manager more in this window and seemingly left him hanging.

He hasn't backed Lambert with wages though. Don't let the £20m in transfer fees fool you. The reason we aimed so low is because no Premier League standard player sign for the YTS rate wages we play. Hence, we're so much in the shit.

Spot on.

I wouldnt mind a YTS wage like they are on. We have paid some stupid wages with the likes of Beye in recent times and yes he probably is holding back, As someone who is an old git, would rather that than doing a Arry and Fernandes and putting the future of the club at risk

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 08:46:55 AM »
I back Lambert in the sense that if he was sacked tomorrow I do not think it would improve our chances of staying up.
I back Randy in the sense that I do not want him just to sell to anybody, there are a lot of well off lunatics out there who could do us much more serious damage.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 08:58:09 AM »
I back Lambert in the sense that if he was sacked tomorrow I do not think it would improve our chances of staying up.
I back Randy in the sense that I do not want him just to sell to anybody, there are a lot of well off lunatics out there who could do us much more serious damage.

Agree with your views Andy. Would we want the Venkys or even horrors of horrors the Bhatti Bros?

We certainly would not!!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 09:15:39 AM »
How many fans of other teams do you think would want Lerner in charge right now?

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 09:36:28 AM »
Personally, I think they're a criminally useless pair of twats, but each to their own.
Will you get off the fence...

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 10:30:05 AM »
I think modern football is a hideous corrupt business, massive sums of money getting paid to shit players, crooked agents and hopeless managers. Someone needs to try something else, so I'm a reluctant +1 too.

21st century bread and circuses for us toilers.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »
When the new regime moved into Villa Park, it was Sid or Kevin Mac. Sid was selected at the interview and Kevin had to go. They must have had big ideas at that stage to upset the back room staff, especially as there would have been ways to fit them both in for continuity at the junior level.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »
Kipeye my old mate - you are what makes Villa a great club.

Indeed - the third division is where I started going down the Villa and I have to say that the decade that followed was one of the best in my sporting life.

I don't get the hatred and vitriol aimed at Lerner - he's spent way more in his six years than Doug Ellis did in his twenty plus years.  And as for the abuse aimed at Lambert by the haters - I can only surmise that it's not because they don't like him - it's because they are fickle.

The Express and Star carries an interesting story - it is Lambert responding to the likes of Collymore regarding his signings in the window.  It makes for interesting reading.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2013/02/02/paul-lambert-hits-out-at-critics-of-aston-villa-signings/

Villa have lost money every year since Lerner came in.  The loss has been growing.  Last year it reached £53.9 million pounds.  What business in its right mind can continue on a path that leads to such deficits?  British Leyland is the only one I can think of.

Yes we are changing - yes it is difficult - and yes it needs to be done.

Lambert has proven himself as an adept man working on a budget.  He is not being starved of funding.  He is being asked to work to a remit.  It is the same remit that brought Benteke to Villa Park.  The wailing about lack of big money signings in the window is a product of the Sky Sports generation - fuelled by the obscene spending of such clubs as Chelsea, QPR, and Manchester City.

Villa have never been like that.  We have always grown great players or found gems in the lower divisions.  Our great players were all either on the scrapheap or came from lower leagues.  I offer you Brian Little, David Platt, Ashley Young, Dwight Yorke, and Sir Paul McGrath as examples of this.  When we have spent top money on transfer and wages we have tended to end up with David Ginola or Stanley Collymore.

Villa's team are not far away from clicking.  Defending as a unit is plainly still an issue.  But they are trying to play football going forward - and the three (oh why not four!) I saw created and scored against an in-form Everton were world class.  The toffees near me (yes I had to sit on my hands) were full of anger against Moyes - calling him stubborn - and lamenting how they always fail against 'lower' teams.  I had to laugh - it put me in mind of some of the folk on here.

We will get better.

UTV

Offline eastie

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »

Indeed - the third division is where I started going down the Villa and I have to say that the decade that followed was one of the best in my sporting life.

I don't get the hatred and vitriol aimed at Lerner - he's spent way more in his six years than Doug Ellis did in his twenty plus years.  And as for the abuse aimed at Lambert by the haters - I can only surmise that it's not because they don't like him - it's because they are fickle.

The Express and Star carries an interesting story - it is Lambert responding to the likes of Collymore regarding his signings in the window.  It makes for interesting reading.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2013/02/02/paul-lambert-hits-out-at-critics-of-aston-villa-signings/

Villa have lost money every year since Lerner came in.  The loss has been growing.  Last year it reached £53.9 million pounds.  What business in its right mind can continue on a path that leads to such deficits?  British Leyland is the only one I can think of.

Lambert has proven himself as an adept man working on a budget.  He is not being starved of funding.  He is being asked to work to a remit.  It is the same remit that brought Benteke to Villa Park.  The wailing about lack of big money signings in the window is a product of the Sky Sports generation - fuelled by the obscene spending of such clubs as Chelsea, QPR, and Manchester City.

Villa have never been like that.  We have always grown great players or found gems in the lower divisions.  Our great players were all either on the scrapheap or came from lower leagues.  I offer you Brian Little, David Platt, Ashley Young, Dwight Yorke, and Sir Paul McGrath as examples of this.  When we have spent top money on transfer and wages we have tended to end up with David Ginola or Stanley Collymore.

Villa's team are not far away from clicking.  Defending as a unit is plainly still an issue.  But they are trying to play football going forward - and the three (oh why not four!) I saw created and scored against an in-form Everton were world class.  The toffees near me (yes I had to sit on my hands) were full of anger against Moyes - calling him stubborn - and lamenting how they always fail against 'lower' teams.  I had to laugh - it put me in mind of some of the folk on here.

We will get better.

UTV

Why if people dont rate lambert  and the job that hes doing does that make them fickle? Results speak for themselves and people have every right to express their feeling if they dont rate lambert - we all want whats best for the club and are all entitled to our views .

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 12:05:16 PM »
Thank you Paul Faulkner.

As for that piece in the Express and Star, it's a few paragraphs containing Paul Lambert's soundbites. Hardly interesting.

We're not fickle, we're deeply concerned that our club is going down the pan, thanks to a seemingly non existent owner and a small time manager.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 12:11:44 PM »
How can anyone claim Lambert has been adept at working with a budget? We're 2nd from bottom, and he's wasted millions on mainly rubbish.
Wake up for crying out loud!

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 12:23:01 PM »
I read all the foregoing with interest.  The only real comment I cannot take is that it was "fun" in the Third Division.   I went home and away and the only reason we can look back on those bad black days through rose tinted spectacles is because we know it all worked out in the end.   We would not be so sanguine about it now if we had followed fellow Football League founder members Accrington Stanley into oblivion.

Just like the present time if by some miracle we scape up next season there will be a general air of those who have just got off a scary ride at Alton Towers.   That is the core of the problem we barely survived last year and the year before flattered us with some unexpected final games but we have not read the writing on the wall.

We skated on thin ice with the appointment of a sick man, then we went skating on it again with the appointment of an inferior one now this season we have skated on the thinnest of thin ice by appointing a manager who has to cheese pare the wages bill and who has never been tested in the heat he is now facing.

When McLeish went the first and foremost thing which should have been addressed was not the up front saving of money but the up front saving of the club.   The money problems could have been dealt with later.   Our position in the Premiership was, and still should be our first and overriding priority.   Everything else pales into insignificance beside it.   We should have assembled a side which could take points off those of our own standard and ground out mid table security.   Once that was done the policy of introducing potential future talent could have and should have been introduced.   The dash for Ajax style glory on the cheap was folly.

It is all very well to make excuses for Lambert but in the real world we all stand or fall by our results.   For whatever reason his results have been appalling.   How bad do they have to get before the can is passed to him and he is made to carry it?

There is all this hyperbole from him about "fighting" for results.   Did he fight with Lerner and Faulkner in the transfer window for the money to pay the wages of a defender?   If he did there is no evidence of it and if he did and failed he should have the bottle to let the fans know that he did and where the real fault lies.

As for Lerner and Faulkner.   Faulkner is from all the evidence a useless twat who should never have been given the job in the first place.   Lerner does have a lot on the credit side but of late has taken to doing a runner from Villa Park and in my opinion has not shown sufficient interest in the club's problems.

Sorry to be so long winded but I feel very strongly about what is happening to the club which means so much to me.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 12:23:09 PM »

We will get better.

UTV

What a one-eyed piece of rubbish.  You could just as easily say that when we've gone for youngsters from the lower leagues, we've ended up with Fabian Delph, Michael Boulding, and Curtis Davies.  When we've paid big money on top players, we got Dean Saunders, Andy Townsend, Ashley Young and James Milner.  And please for the love of god look up the word 'fickle'.  Then come back when you understand what it actually means.  Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal